Thread: Winchester supreme/Nosler 180gr E-tip ammo

Default Winchester supreme/Nosler 180gr E-tip ammo

I have a pre 64 Winchester, 300 Win Mag that will shoot 1" groups at a 100 yards with almost any ammo, I bought three boxes of the 180gr Winchester E-Tip ammo just to try something new, and I can't get a 12" group at 100 yards with it.

Anyone have good luck with this ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain T View Post
    I have a pre 64 Winchester, 300 Win Mag that will shoot 1" groups at a 100 yards with almost any ammo, I bought three boxes of the 180gr Winchester E-Tip ammo just to try something new, and I can't get a 12" group at 100 yards with it.

Anyone have good luck with this ammo?
    Sounds a bit odd. You may want to shoot your known good stuff during the same shooting opportunity to rule out loose rings, base or a suddenly defective scope.

Those E tip bullets are long and have quite a bit of bearing surface-- and may take a different twist barrel to stabilize (i'm not sure what your twist is). I tried some swift 90 gr bullets in my 243, and they ended up going into the target sideways no matter what powder and charge I tried. I called the company, and got a great lesson from the owner on long-for-weight and barell twist requirements.. My gun would shoot the same grain lead bullet all day, but when it came to the longer bullet, it would not stabilize!! Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Sounds a bit odd. You may want to shoot your known good stuff during the same shooting opportunity to rule out loose rings, base or a suddenly defective scope.
    12" groups are almost always mechanical (something loose, broken, binding or plain busted).
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    12" groups are almost always mechanical (something loose, broken, binding or plain busted).
    Thats what I thought, so I tried my other ammo,minutes later and bingo shoots good, this is the first time I've ever run into this, I even tried three rounds from each box,thinking maybe a bad box but they all shot bad.

Your rifle doesn't like them. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Your rifle doesn't like them. Move on.
    Moved on long ago,,

I am just curious if anyone else has a 300 win mag that shoots this ammo well, or are the polycarbonate tips melting in the bore, maybe just a bad design.