Thread: Spot and stalk questions

Default Spot and stalk questions

S if a guy wanted to spot and stalk for bears, either blacks or grizz, where would be a good spot to research? I am not looking into taking anyone's honey hole, just want the challenge of the hunt. I can not afford to fly-in, nor pay anyone to take me anywhere. I would love take them with my bow, but dead is dead and thats what I want. So all I want is for someone to point me in the right direction and I will do the rest of the work. You could PM if you don't want tons of people in the area
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Any area with mountains. like the Alaska Range mountains between Delta Junction and TOK. the Talkeetnas, Chugach, Wrangles, Kenai...
    Around North Pole/Fairbanks--unknown

If hunting in the spring, concentrate on south facing slopes where fresh greens are about to pop up. I like old avalanche slides that don't have as much accumulated snow higher up. Water source near by is needed and they like dense cover. Google Earth is an excellent tool.

Mountain man Jack said it all:

Once you found your hill you need to watch it every day not just the weekends. I would also make sure your camouflage matches the trees, practice walking with out making any noise. You may find the only way to see the bears are to get out of the vehicle and clime the mountain. They will come you just need to find out when.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Richardson highway south to Valdez is a great place to learn it. the terrain is hard and few people really bust that brush to get on the hills off the highway. the Tonsina CUA is a walk in hunt, with a lot of bears back in those hills. the heavy cover makes bow hunting possible for an experienced stalker.

south along the Seward highway is also an option. though lots of folks hunt it from the road, and the terrain is STEEP! and hard to access in a lot of areas.

Griz with a bow? hit the haul road plan on snow and barren ground stalking. find winter kills and gut piles from the spring caribou hunters.. and bears will be along.. Bear hunting via spot and stalk is 98% boring and 2% actual stalking... lots of time with glass glued to your eyes, till you find one you can get to. they move allot when out and travel further as the season progresses into the rut in June.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here