Thread: Anyone make a Model 70 style safety for 1903A3 Springfield?

Default Anyone make a Model 70 style safety for 1903A3 Springfield?

I have one I bought for my M-98 Mauser... But have not been able to find one for a Springfield... Anyone seen any...???
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Actually Winchester makes one - the whole bolt sleeve assembly with safety off a Mdl 70 will screw right in and index properly on an 03-A3 bolt! However you must must modify the cocking rod to match the safety etc. I've got a Mdl 70 bolt sleeve assembly and firing pin assembly but I've never got around to fitting it out.

Interesting that the bolt sleeves will interchange but Winchester copied a number of features off the Springfield 03 including the brrech assembly. The whole head of the bolt is similar dimension wise but of course Winchester went with a different ejector which avoided the split left lug and simplified manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have one I bought for my M-98 Mauser... But have not been able to find one for a Springfield... Anyone seen any...???
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thanks for the info...
    I found one guy who makes them but he wants big bucks...(more than a nice barrel)
    I will start shopping for an M-70 assembly...

The machining on the cocking piece will be the real task. I don't know if adapting the 03 cocking piece or adapting the Mdl 70 cocking piece to the o3 is easier. Curse is the difference in the cocking mechanism surfaces where the sear contacts it - the 03 is straight where the 70 is angled. The other route may be to adapt the Mdl 70 cocking piece and firing pin to a Springfield but I haven't locked into that one. The one piece firing pin from a Mdl 70 would probably be an improvement over the heavier 03 one.

My preference is for the aftermarket safety that replaces the issue safety and put the wing on the left side of the bolt - where your thumb shoud be anyway. Putting the safety on the right side of the bolt is just plain wrong - your thumb should be across the tang in the normal shooting postion. Some of the German and British guns - I think it was Greener - put the safety on the left side ot the stock where your thumb naturally falls when shooting.

Thanks for the info...
    I found one guy who makes them but he wants big bucks...(more than a nice barrel)
    I will start shopping for an M-70 assembly...
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

They don't come cheap. Google Ed Lapour and David Gentry. They make 1903 style safeties and install them.

David Gentry has passed away, I think his son still runs the shop.. I will send an e-mail.

You're right. I forgot. I believe the website is under Gentry Custom.

Ed Lapour wants $280 for his parts. I think they come in the white...

They are in the white and I've had trouble getting them as a private individual rather than a gunsmith. However they are beautiful shrouds.
    Esse quam videri

I played around with the Mdl 70 shrouds and cocking pieces some more. It appears to be easier to fit a Mdl cocking piece to a Springfiled bolt as the Springfield cocking piece is a bit smaller in diameter than the Mdl. 70. Look like you would need to extend the cocking cam follower on the Mdl 70 and cut a square notch instead of an angled notch for the sear. Shouldn't be too much work for a good welder and gunsmith. Probably a good idea to also go ahead and use the Mdl. 70 firing pin assembly and shorten it while you are working on the sear.

Now I need to check and see how much the Winchester parts cost. Of course you can buy a whole used Mdl. 70 push feed for $280 and sell the rest of the gun off!

If this thread keeps up I'm going to have to get off my tail and complete my own project.

I've had great luck with Ed Lapour's work. I have one of his three position safeties on a 1903 action and another on a 1909 Argentine Mauser that Ed did all of the work on. His customer service and workmanship are outstanding.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred

I agree with what has already been said about Ed Lapour. He has completed several projects for me the last few years, to include a three position safety on a M54 Winchester. His work is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Riflemaker View Post
    I agree with what has already been said about Ed Lapour. He has completed several projects for me the last few years, to include a three position safety on a M54 Winchester. His work is top notch.
    Would you mind posting a few pics of some of the work Ed has done for you? Would be great to see.

Thanks.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    Distinguished Rifleman #1558
    President's Hundred