Thread: March Haul Rd caribou

Default March Haul Rd caribou

Has anyone ever hunted the haul rd for bou in March, was thinking of heading up for a couple days. I have taken a couple bou so far. But I have only been up in November. If anyone has been up then, please let me know if it is even worth making the trip. Should I still expect -30/-40 temps? Is the herd generally north or south of the pass, and are they anywhere near the road then? Any information would be greatly appreciatted. Thanks

I went up last year and shot a cow on March 5th. Temp was 8 above, unseasonably warm but I pretty must just watched the forecast and took the first warm weekend I could find. Awesome hunt, we had thousands of caribou to ourself, south of the pass. Seen 11 wolves and missed a red fox with my bow. Cold for the tent but it wasn't to bad.

went up mid apr one year -20 phase 3 blizzard first night plans to tent camp changed to sleeping in the truck plenty of daylight then as i recall we had 6 hrs of darkness. expect and plan for -30 temps. was fun hunt but completely different
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

just remember... at that time of the year... the ones with antlers are the pregnant cows. you should do well just watching the weather channel and planning your trip accordingly..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I shot a nice little antlered bull in mid to late March this year south of the pass. Plenty of young bulls still have their antlers then. Weather was nice, but I was just driving north to Prudhoe and took advantage of the opportunity and stalked a herd a couple hundred yards off the road.

Default Camo?

So what kind of camo do you Wear? Like overwhites, or do most people even worry about it. I'm heading up there around the end of march. I got a new bow, so I'm gonna go try it out.

White cover ups, and camo is extremely important up there. I have had 2 bou with in 4 yards of me, while set up for a shot. Got both of em. goodluck and dress warm.

I've hear there is about 12 hours of daylight at the end of march, is this true? So I should try and get in front of them and setup for a pass by shot. I'm sure I'll be trying about everything. Just trying to get some good stalking ideas.