Thread: Best river to Fly or Drive in float out 14 day Hunt

Default Best river to Fly or Drive in float out 14 day Hunt

Hey everyone, I am new to this Forum and have never been to Alaska before but I am charged with planning a 10-14 day Moose or Caribou Float Hunt for next fall. I wonít complain as the knowledge is great. I have decided in order to keep expenses under control and open the ability to full experience Alaska at its best to do an Un-Guided trip and to fly in and float out so that we donít have to pay for extra fights for game. This trip is just my Brother and I we are both very experience outdoorsman with 35+ years of extended river trip but I really donít want to be faced with anything above a class III with gear and game. We would also prefer to be as isolated as possible (you would think this would be easy in Alaska). This is a Fishing, Floating, Archery, Just want to get away and enjoy trip with my brother everything else like actually filling our tags is just a bonus.
    Does anyone have a suggestion?

Call 40mi air out of tok,they might have what your looking for....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Call 40mi air out of tok,they might have what your looking for....
    What he said. 40 mile air

Fly commercial carrier from Anch. to Aniak. Fly commercial carrier from Aniak to Russian Mission. Put your raft/canoe in the Yukon River. Float down to a side slough and paddle back in to get away from river traffic. Moose and Black Bear around there. Take out will be any of the villages downstream from Russian. Pike and maybe sheefish to be caught in the mouths of sloughs. North side of Yukon will have clear water streams with trout and grayling.
    Fly commercial carrier back to Aniak and Anch.
    Yukon is pretty big down there. Water can get rough if it's windy. Stick to the sides if it's rough.
    There are possibilities in other areas. Floating down to Ft. Yukon. Floating the upper Kobuk down to Kobuk or Shungnak. Floating the Noatak to the village of Noatak. Just about anywhere you float will have a species or 2 to fish for.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you choose 40 mile country you will have to consider how your getting to Tok and how your going to spot what ever vehicle you plan on renting for 10-14 days. Sometimes this cost could put you in the same expense as flying your potential harvest out to a location. In years past I have explained to our rentals U-Haul is 19.00 - 20.00 per day local rental which is by far the cheapest way to go.

If you check locally for auto rentals i.e. van and or truck and your flying into Fairbanks you will find they are asking up to $200.00 per day for the rentals. I called yesterday for a project I am working on and the monthly rental for an F150 extended cab truck was $3650.00

That being said if you find your-self in the Tok - Fairbanks area you have a couple of options one being 40 mile country lots of options PM if you wish a list. In and around Fairbanks you have the upper Salcha however lots of air boats even up to 100 mile. Good Paster which gives you a couple of days of skinny water then again power boats and has become extremely populated, Wood River which has always been busy but if you get off the river you could find your-self hunting alone the entire trip, Birch Creek and or Beaver Creek both popular but hunted correctly reasonable hunts again get off the river and no people per say as well as certain portions of other Alaska Range rivers which all head to the road system that are not used often (to much) work for most.

If you have not had a chance to read Mike's book on float hunting it would be a wise investment and it is available on this Sit.

Best Wishes

Richard "Moose'" Mousseau
    Blue Moose Rafting

10 days max, 14 days too long to keep the meat in the field