Thread: SkiDoo 600 ACE

Default SkiDoo 600 ACE

Anyone out there running an Expidition or Tundra with the new 4 stroke 600 ACE engine. How do you like it. Does there seem to be plenty of power for pulling a sled filed with 250 pounds of fishing and camping gear. I like the idea of high fuel mileage and not near the cost of the Etec. Just looking for opinions.

Thanks.

I recently picked up my new sled. It is a 2011 Expedition Sport with the 600 ACE motor in it.
    I picked it up on December 20th and did my first real ride on December 23rd.
    I decided to do a trail ride with my girlfriend and her 10 year old son.
    My girlfriend rode my 2008 Tundra LT 550F. this machine has the same size track as my Expedition Sport
    16x154x1.5 and is a 2up sled just like my Exp Sport.She was going to be riding with just herself and a 5 gallon can of gas in the back rack.
    I was to be riding with my gf's son a 5 gallon can of gas and a backpack with a thermos of hot cocoa,spare gloves and some other random gear.
    We decided on a trail ride in the Caribou hills. The plan was to ride from the Clam Gulch parking lot to the new CCl lodge near caribou lake.
    In total this ride counted for 96.6 miles total. We rode together so the mileage would be identical as would be the speeds and terrain.
    As it turns out even though there was not a lot of snow at least 2/3 of it was freshly groomed for the holiday weekend.
    Here is the kicker. My girlfriend used 9 gallons of gas on this trip plus a tank of injection oil for a mpg of 10.73.
    My Exp. Sport 600ACE used only 4.371 gallons or 22.1 mpg.
    So that is my report of the 600ACE mpg.It is a good comparison of similiar sleds with the 550F vs. the 600ACE as both were available on the Exp Sport.
    I really like my Exp Sport 600 ACE.
    It now has just over 100 miles on it so it is not fully broken in yet.
    A very torquey motor and should doo me well for the trail riding and Icefishing I like to do.I also like the lack of 2 stroke smell. Not that I mind it a lot but you do notice when you switch who leads.Really nice that it exceeds even the National park service emissions for places like yellowstone.
    I doo believe the other brands have a ways to go to catch up to all the stuff Skidoo has been coming out with lately. 600ACE the E-Tec sleds etc.
    Hope this is helpful to you.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    ....used 9 gallons of gas on this trip plus a tank of injection oil for a mpg of 10.73.
    Your 550 needs to be seriously leaned down on the oil pump. 1 quart per 10 gallons is a good rough estimate for oil usage. NOT tank for tank!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Your 550 needs to be seriously leaned down on the oil pump. 1 quart per 10 gallons is a good rough estimate for oil usage. NOT tank for tank!
    I don't know exactly how much oil it used but I do know it was not a full tank.
    I just threw that in there because people seem to think that the extra price ($1600) over the 550F is only offset by the mpg difference. There is more to this new motor than just the gas savings. There is also the lack of injection oil used. No 2 stroke smell. Low end torque. The quietness. Etc. etc.

You don't use injection oil but you do change the crank case oil so this has to be considered when calculating operating exspenses. Lack of the two stroke odor and noise is a good thing-I have a Tundra Ace but haven't put any miles on it yet, hopefully in the next couple weeks.

I was pretty surprised by the 600 ACE numbers coming in at only 60HP. The 500 phazer 4strk comes in at 80hp stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedo View Post
    You don't use injection oil but you do change the crank case oil so this has to be considered when calculating operating exspenses. Lack of the two stroke odor and noise is a good thing-I have a Tundra Ace but haven't put any miles on it yet, hopefully in the next couple weeks.
    Point well taken. It will still cost a lot less in oil every year.
    I also don't need to take extra injection oil along on those longer trips witch is another bonus.One less thing I don't have to worry about forgetting is always good in my opinion.
    Overall I think I will see much lower operating costs every year.Enough to make me feel good about buying the ACE.
    So much depends on the weather and how much riding a person is able to do each year.
    Low snow years or those were schedules and whatnot do not allow much riding will also change the numbers.
    I am sure you will be happy with your ace as I am with mine.