Thread: Karluk River Spring Bear Hunt

Default Karluk River Spring Bear Hunt

Just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips they wouldn't mind sharing on this hunt.
    Thanks, Brian

hunt high, hunt long and don't move alot. use your binos to hunt for you, april glass the snowline and up first, may look everywhere. bring snowshoes for april and sunglasses and sunblock for april or may. pick a valley that has a prevailing wind and dont' walk up it less you see a bear you wanna go after...wind wind wind. sights not as bad but its still critical.
    common sense, gotta find the bear first, getting to him's the second hardest part adn then getting him home...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Great population of bear. Have to agree with BrnBr that one needs to get some elevation to where he can see in all directions. Have warm waterproof clothing and good glasses. Sit and locate. Pull out the spotting scope and see if what you have spotted is the bear for you before you go hiking a mile or two. Hours upon hours if sitting and glassing moving from one hill to another looking is what it takes. Huge country. Take snowshoes as the snow is deep this year. Look for green vegitation as the bear will be after it.

Neal
    Last edited by 358 Hammer; 02-20-2007 at 17:40. Reason: bumped me out of forum before I was done

on a second note, i know of a few guys who have floated it successfullyin the spring for bears...not sure all that entails
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was at the Karluk from May-June last year counting smolt for fish and game. I would have to agree with those above and look high. We saw few bears on the river, mostly just one subadult that would hang around camp. Most bears were seen by scoping the hillsides, or along the edge of the lake (saw a huge boar across camp island). All the bears seen during the flight in were way up high near the snow.

Bring a rod too! The steelhead fishing was great last spring, lots of big dollies too.

Awesome place...You'll have a great time.

Thanks for the help guys. Were looking at heading down towards the end of April. I will for sure have a fishing pole along on the trip! Thanks again,
    Brian