Thread: Best place to buy barrel blanks for 03A3?

Default Best place to buy barrel blanks for 03A3?

In the old days I had a local source for Douglas barrel blanks... But no more..

I am going to rebarrel a 03A3 (thus the cone breech and extractor cut) and have been looking over the various web sites. Wow the prices sure have gone up..

But I have been told that ordering direct is often more expensive than going through a middle man...

Since I am also thinking about changing out the 20 inch (#5 taper) 7x57mm Douglas barrel on another rifle... I may actually be looking at two barrels...

I was thinking about a 280 rem with a fast twist for heavy bullets, or a 244 Rem (6mm rem) with a fast twist for heavy bullets...

If I could find two barrels for a decent price, I would make the 03A3 a 280 and the M98 the 6mm rem.

Any good ideas for barrel shopping?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Gun shows!

I picked up a new douglas premium barrel contoured, threaded for a 98, and chambered for 6mm Rem at a gun show last year for $50. Twist is 1 in 10" according to the marking on the breech. May fit it on my 1951 FN commerical action; it should build into a nice rifle.

Usually lots of odds and ends barrels at shows - sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get skunked - but that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    In the old days I had a local source for Douglas barrel blanks... But no more..

I am going to rebarrel a 03A3 (thus the cone breech and extractor cut) and have been looking over the various web sites. Wow the prices sure have gone up..

But I have been told that ordering direct is often more expensive than going through a middle man...

Since I am also thinking about changing out the 20 inch (#5 taper) 7x57mm Douglas barrel on another rifle... I may actually be looking at two barrels...

I was thinking about a 280 rem with a fast twist for heavy bullets, or a 244 Rem (6mm rem) with a fast twist for heavy bullets...

If I could find two barrels for a decent price, I would make the 03A3 a 280 and the M98 the 6mm rem.

Any good ideas for barrel shopping?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The two "value" sources for barrels that I would use are ER Shaw:

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-twist-rates.php

or MidwayUSA:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#Ada..._1-2-4_8-16-32