Thread: Alpine

Default Alpine

I have an old alpine I bought several years ago and never used. It was running good when I bought it, so I would like to know what all I should check and or do before I crank it up.
    Does anyone know what the oil mix was on the old 640 rotax motors.
    Does anybody have a miracle cure to make a windshield clear again after sitting out in the weather for a couple years. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I have an old alpine I bought several years ago and never used. It was running good when I bought it, so I would like to know what all I should check and or do before I crank it up.
    Does anyone know what the oil mix was on the old 640 rotax motors.
    Does anybody have a miracle cure to make a windshield clear again after sitting out in the weather for a couple years. Thanks.
    The old Alpine's were great machines! I've spent alot of hours on one dragging groomers, sleds, logs, you name it. They don't go fast, and the won't side hill for love nor money, but they'll do just about anything else you could want, if you know how to work one. I don't have a manual any more but if memory serves correctly they called for 40:1, but even 25 years ago we were running them at 50:1 with the good synthetic oils beginning to come out then. Change the oil, grease the lube points on the suspension, drain the fuel and replace with fresh, check and gap the plugs, and run her!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

By change the oil, are you referring to the oil in the gearbox, if so I purchased some synthetic for it. I also purchased new plugs and checked for fire (which is good) I also put a little mistery oil in the cylinders and turned it over a couple of times and filled the carb with cleaner.

Do you remember how many (app) lube points are on the suspention.
    I bought this with the intention of hauling, pulling loads and am not interested in speed anymore. lol

I have found an online operaters manual that will answer most of my mechanical and maintenance questions. Thanks

Keep an eye on the welds where the leaf spring attaches to the ski. If you put enough miles on them (I mean a lot of miles), eventually those welds will stress fracture... Once found myself in 3 feet of new powder, at 9000 feet, about 20 miles from home without a ski...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Keep an eye on the welds where the leaf spring attaches to the ski. If you put enough miles on them (I mean a lot of miles), eventually those welds will stress fracture... Once found myself in 3 feet of new powder, at 9000 feet, about 20 miles from home without a ski...
    9000' I didn't think they could fly!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    9000' I didn't think they could fly!
    They can't fly, but they can climb. And now in retrospect, I realize I made a misstatement. I lost the ski at a little above 11000 feet. Home at the time was at 9000...
    #Resist

To clean up that windshield try Maguires Mirror Glaze there is a cleaner and a polish get them both they are excellent at cleaning clear plastic. You can find both of these at Napa or any other auto parts stores.
    We used to use it all the time to clean the lexan windows on my dads loggigng equipment years ago.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for all the info. That would suck to be stuvk with out a ski. lol
    I will have to try the maguires. Belive it or not the guy at the parts house said a lot of people use sea foam. I was sceptical but put it on a small corner and it seems like it is at least going to get it usuable again.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Thanks for all the info. That would suck to be stuvk with out a ski. lol
    I will have to try the maguires. Belive it or not the guy at the parts house said a lot of people use sea foam. I was sceptical but put it on a small corner and it seems like it is at least going to get it usuable again.
    Being stuck without a ski would suck, and it made a lasting impression, which is why it occurred to me to warn you. I never was smart enough to figure a way to jury rig a fix for that type of problem. Fortunately in this case I had a partner with me. We were breaking out trail and dragging a groomer... We hooked the steering shaft of the broken machine over a cross bar on the tail end of the groomer and fashioned a push-pull affair. That resulted in one mean groomer!

Enjoy that machine!
    #Resist

On a side note I pulled the plugs and put a little mystery oil in the cylinders for a day and also filled the carb with some cleaner.
    I then pulled it over a few times, installed new plugs and she cranked on the second or third pull, then the next day on the first pull ans sounds good, but doesn't like to idle. I ordered a new carb boot as this one looks bad, so I wont adress the idling problem until it comes in, but she sounds promising.

Carb cleaner will kill carb seals and O rings faster than just about anything. It may clean metal but it dissolves rubber and synthetic rubber. Good luck. Alpines are tanks but sometimes a tank is what a guy needs.