Thread: Bring them or sell down here?

Default Bring them or sell down here?

In the planning phase of moving to Alaska. I currently own a 15' War Eagle pushed by an Evinrude 30 HP Long Shaft, 14' Crestliner jon boat (pushed by a 15HP but usually rowed), and a 14' Carstens Mallard Marsh Boat.

The War Eagle is pretty a heavy duty jon boat designed for big water diver hunting, in fact I bought it to hunt divers on thre big water of Devils Lake. My guess is it would be at least a decent river boat for Alaska. The jon & marsh boat were bought for slough hunting. My guess is the jon would be useful and the marsh boat worthless for alaska.

So what is your opinion, are any/all of these bought useful in Alaska, or rather bringing them with the move, should I just sell them down here and look for boat(s) when I get settled in up there?

I'm no boat expert, but I would think you should at least consider swapping out the longshaft on that War Eagle. Most of the rivers up here are fairly shallow. The majority of river boats I see running the shallows up here are either jet boats, or tunnel hull jons. I've also seen a few short shaft props.

And the marsh boat is certainly useful up here. It would be ideal for waterfowl habitat if you're into duck/goose hunting.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Bring them all the marsh boat you will use weather you hunt small lakes or rabbit slough when you have to portage a boat.

Sell the War Eagle on Craig's List in Alabama! On the long shaft, that is probably what the boat transom requires, put a short shaft on and it will just sit there and burble! I'd say maybe keep your two smaller boats for putting around the smaller lakes and shallows, and sell the long-shaft river boat and get a jet boat in AK for the bigger rivers...

thanks for the opinions, guys. Capn Ron is correct, I the War Eagle needs a long shaft. When I first got it I put the 15 on it and it wouldn't move, I then had the 15 converted to a long shaft. It then pushed the War Eagle but not too fast...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    In the planning phase of moving to Alaska. I currently own a 15' War Eagle pushed by an Evinrude 30 HP Long Shaft, 14' Crestliner jon boat (pushed by a 15HP but usually rowed), and a 14' Carstens Mallard Marsh Boat.

The War Eagle is pretty a heavy duty jon boat designed for big water diver hunting, in fact I bought it to hunt divers on thre big water of Devils Lake. My guess is it would be at least a decent river boat for Alaska. The jon & marsh boat were bought for slough hunting. My guess is the jon would be useful and the marsh boat worthless for alaska.

So what is your opinion, are any/all of these bought useful in Alaska, or rather bringing them with the move, should I just sell them down here and look for boat(s) when I get settled in up there?
    The 15' War Eagle would probably work to go fishing in several of the rivers in South Central AK... I've run the Kenai, Big Susitna and Yentna rivers for years with long shaft outboards and props.. and I've ruined a few props too... But a 15 ' probably won't have the capacity to haul a moose home safely in one trip.. even if you could get all of a moose in the boat at one time, that 30 would be straining.. the 14' Crestliner would work perfectly for many of the lakes in South Central AK... some of them now have motor size restrictions like 5HP max.. I really couldn't comment on the 14' carstens mallard marsh boat, but don't think it would do anything that your 14' crestliner can't so it would be duplication in my opinion.. Somebody said on another forum that there is no such thing as a perfect all around boat for Alaska.... a guy needs about 5 boats... A cruiser for Salt Water, a Flat, wide bottomed river boat, a jon boat, a canoe, and ??? - This probably didn't help you much, but thought I'd toss in my opnion for what it's worth...

Like others said; bring 'em all.
    The war eagle needs a 4 stroke motor to be Kenai legal in the summer (unless they changed the regs to include all year?).
    Small boats are what got most, if not all of us into the boating world!
    Jim

Moved up here years ago from SD. Am an avid duck hunter. I brought a 16' bass boat that proved pretty useless even after I put a jet pump on the outboard so I sold it (guy took it to upstate NY and bass fishes with it now). I also brought a 14' Jon boat with brush racks and set up for duck hunting with a 10 hp merc. I still use it each summer and fall. I trout fish out of it. Duck hunt with the brush racks etc. For just puddling around both your 14' boats will be fine. The War Eagle will not get used much and you'll end up selling it I bet. CapnRon had it right. It won't haul all your camping/hunting gear if your going hunting and if you hunt moose and get one it won't haul it all. If your into river running/fishing get a bigger boat designed for a jet and you'll be alot happier than trying to make do in a boat that was never designed for that type of running. My experience after moving up from the Dak's. I hope it helps.