Thread: savage magazine pops out after shot

Default savage magazine pops out after shot

I have a Savage 111 in 30-06 that I am trying to get shooting well. About 1/2 the time I shoot it, the magazine falls out the bottom. Has anybody heard of this? I am looking for the easy solution like... oh yea, mine did that and all we had to do was.......

Short of that, I will have to resort to tinkering and that is expensive since it only happens every other round or so. It might take a box of ammo to find the problem not to mention having to assemble/disassemble the stock while at the range.

I am in the processes of buying another magazine online. I could not find one in Anchorage.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Duct Tape would be an "easy solution".

However, I would think that you could examine the mechanism that holds it in, and adjust it, or add spring tension somewhere, or replace parts.

You might ask on the Gun Smithing Forum.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

smash some bubble gum in with the mag.
    Semper Fi!

Daved.....Yep had the same problem with my new 338wm Savage. After losing a mag in the bush in grizz country, (I did have an extra and duct taped it in) I phoned Savage and replaced the mag with a floor trap...requires a few minutes, screwdriver and job was done, have not had a problem since. They did charge me for the conversion assembly, which I thought was wrong, but thier rules. I do flip the rifle over to load, but no big deal. Anyone want a deal on a couple used detatachable mags and assembly?........Desertdog

I shot the same gun about 15 times at the range a while ago. No problems with the magazine popping out. I tightened all the screws holding the stock and trigger guard together then bent the little lip on the right side of the magazine (by the button release) to give it a bit more purchase. One of those two things worked. I think it was the magazine, since I only got maybe 1/4 turn out of one of the screws.

Detachable magazine + center fire rifle = problem waiting to happen!

Brett

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I shot the same gun about 15 times at the range a while ago. No problems with the magazine popping out. I tightened all the screws holding the stock and trigger guard together then bent the little lip on the right side of the magazine (by the button release) to give it a bit more purchase. One of those two things worked. I think it was the magazine, since I only got maybe 1/4 turn out of one of the screws.
    I'm glad you got it workin.
    It was probably the adjustment.
    I suggest you test it thoroughly, though.
    It might be a good idea to have an extry magazine for back up and/or quick reloading.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.