Thread: Slings and bipods

Default Slings and bipods

Anyone figure a way to keep a bipod from cutting into one's shoulder? My bipod, a Caldwell (yes, I know it is not a Harris) mounts the sling from the middle of the pod mount, which leaves the rear half with the spring ears in direct contact with the shoulder. I'm thinking that a band of insolite or insole felt arcing from top of sling to forearm might work, but seems klutzy. Ideas solicited.

Some sort of a pad as you mentioned would probably be quickest/easiest, not a little kludgy. If it is for a dedicated rifle you could install a second slind stud (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=5...Inserts__2_pak).

I just got a bipod for Christmas and am a little worried about this as well (and it is a Harris bipod, so its not just a Caldwell issue). Anyway, good luck and let us know what you come up with.
    Use of product voids warranty.

I hadn't thought about a 2nd stud but that is an idea. May go that route, but before I do that I think I will try the piece of felt insole ; perhaps with some Velcro for easy removal... just tossing around ideas.

I have a quick release on my sling, so I can take of my bipod and put it back on in a few seconds. Havn't had problems yet.

I have seen a few guys move the swivel to the side of the stock. Would this work for you?

Sayak,
    I bought a Bog Pod 3 legg system to carry and found it to be pretty handy. It serves as a walking stick and you can adjust to many height levels - I never did find a way to comfortably carry a gun with mounted bipod....

Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I use a snipe pod, very light quick and easy to install and remove. Very sturdy rest. They now sell a sling that will hold the bipod when not installed. Bought one for the wife and liked it so much I got one as well.

https://snipepod.ipower.com/index2.html

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 on the snipepod. For only 6 oz its worth it for my wife to have. Helped her down a caribou at nearly 250 yards this year they would not have been possible w/o for her. Goes on and off in a jiff and barely weighs anything and more sturdy and adjustable then shooting over a pack. Plus I have the adaptor on my rifle too so if it comes along I can use it as well.

If you're carrying a pack & the rifle - look at the Kifaru "Gun Bearer". It carries the rifle cross the front of your body - as quick (maybe quicker) to get into action, than a sling. You'd never worry about a sling again - except when hunting w/o the pack. I've had & used one for over 10 years & only use a sling when hunting out of state.

All great ideas guys. Thanks! That Snipepod looks like the cat's meow, but I'll have to recover from Christmas first!
    I've thought about the tactical type sling Gary. May have to look into that as well.