Thread: Drying out the pop-up?

Default Drying out the pop-up?

Took the QF6 out today and naturally I had some good condensation build-up inside the tent. I'm thinking it would be prudent to set it back up in the basement to dry it out before storing it very long. Anybody fighting mildew or anything?

I have a QF3 and let it thaw in the basement and let dry on it's own without any problem. I have had it for 3 years and have been drying it the same way with no mildew. Ideally its best to open it up and let dry but I have even let dry broken down as well. I let it dry broken down but spread open. No mildew problems at all.

So at least you are taking it out of the bag to air out....good news on the no mildew...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    So at least you are taking it out of the bag to air out....good news on the no mildew...
    Yes I keep it out of the bag...It dries pretty well when unraveled but not opened all the way.

I shake the heck out of it at the lake before breaking down to try and knock off as much condensation as possible. After that, I just toss it in the cold storage shed outside and let it freeze dry. I also leave it out of the bag during these storage spells, but it is still folded up. This is repeated all winter long. Come spring time when the temps are back above freezing, I'll take it out and set it up on the back porch, clean it up really nice, and let it completely air dry. Once dry, it goes back in the bag for the summer.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I have a QF3 and let it thaw in the basement and let dry on it's own without any problem. I have had it for 3 years and have been drying it the same way with no mildew. Ideally its best to open it up and let dry but I have even let dry broken down as well. I let it dry broken down but spread open. No mildew problems at all.
    The only thing you will smell is nicotine...haha..

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    The only thing you will smell is nicotine...haha..

Fish On!
    Now getting the nicotine smell is a little more tricky taking care of... lol

no problems with mildew or anything, but I set mine up in the garage when I get done using it to dry it out
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have the quickfish 6 and the new quickfish4. I set them up in my heated shop when I get back from an outing and they dry overnight. I think because of the fabric type you should not have any problems with mildew.

Hey Hunt, it was nice meeting you yesterday! With my quickfish 3 I just put it in a corner of my heated garage upside down and partially opened up against the wall. I will leave it like that for a couple hours and then go rotate it once and let it finish drying. Been doing this for 4 years now with no problems. I dont have room to set the whole thing up but really have never needed to. On a side note, that quick fish 6 looked like a pretty nice shelter. First time I have seen one on the ice!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    Now getting the nicotine smell is a little more tricky taking care of... lol
    "Professional smoker"
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

You too, Corey!

Yeah it's easy up and easy down, which is a must when you have 3 kids with you with short attention spans!

Looks like I'll set it up to dry it today...

if it is out side frozen it will not mildew on you, but if put away wet it will turn bad on you, will dry fairley fast so do your best to dry it out , better to be safe with a good smelling outfit compaied to a fowl smalling one
    SID