Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is planning on Calling bears this spring?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default who is planning on Calling bears this spring?

I just ordered my fox pro spit fire.. with enough sounds for fox, yote, lynx.. etc... but leaned heavy towards the bear calling... i absolutely LOVE calling in bears. hand calls, electronic you name it... the spitfire will have calf and doe bawling... cub crying, bear jaw popping, and other animal eating animal sounds on it... MAN i cant wait till may gets here... gonna give it a test run this weekend soon as it gets here down on the property in clear... but expect really to use it on on the claim to see if that old Griz wont come make a show early for me this year...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've been thinking about it but not sure which squeaky toy of the dogs to use...

But now you've planted the bug for a new caller...
    "Your papers are not in order"

look into wildlife tec calls. Top of the line call. I have a wildlife tec call and my freind has a fox pro. I won't say any more but the tec call sounds alot better and you can get way more call for you wildlife tec call than the fox pro.

Wayne Carlton calling in some bears. Always be aware of your surroundings when calling!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lol i have several of his videos...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

let me know how that works out for ya,, I'll have to find one on craigslist

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Unlike some other hunters, I have had terrible results with predator/varmint calling during spring black bear hunts.

A typical early May hunt will go something like this....
    I'll see a bear on a mountain side and get closer, but not within rifle range. Then I'll use the dying rabbit call as I would for coyotes in Wyoming, and watch the bear scamper off into the brush and trees. After about three attempts, failed attempts, I'll just stalk closer and shoot the bear.

These attempts have always been in early May, right as the bruins are emerging from their dens. And because my spring black bear hunts are generally over by mid May, I cannot report on any late May or June experiences. Perhaps the bears become more aggressive after eating grass for a few weeks and as moose calves appear.

dennis

I've got an old Phantom call I wanted to use, but the only sounds I think that would work up here are rabbit ditress and lamb distress. I have a hand call made by Rich Cronk that he made for me about 10 years ago - i think it will be a winner... I've been looking at the spitfires - good price. Will wait to see how it works for you! :-)

What company or call manufacturers make a mouth blown call that is designed to sound like a distressed moose calf?
    Which stores in Alaska would sell this product?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    What company or call manufacturers make a mouth blown call that is designed to sound like a distressed moose calf?
    Which stores in Alaska would sell this product?
    i have yet to find one. but listening to them on U tube, and listening to them get eaten in real life. it is not hard to duplicate and use a bull magnet to amplify your voice.

it is more a Nasel, cow call like a crying baby.

meet on face book here

I'm going to, I made a homemade E-caller, it runs off the ipod, theres a thread on here showing how to do it. Works great and only cost me about $30-40 with rat shack parts. Yet to use it for bears though, I'll have to see if I can download some on my ipod.

I started using a boar-n-sow call from wood wise last year I had pretty good luck with it. The sow call is easy but I haven't got the boar down to good yet.
    Chuck

Chuck, I was just looking at these
    http://www.trailmasteroutdoors.com/p....php?type=1166
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/sounds.htm check out there master sound list. I have every one of the bear sounds.

The Wildlife Technologies units have a great speaker on them throwing out a much louder and clearer sound than most would think. IMO they are worth the money if your going to use a caller on a regular basis.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    You going to try one? They bare really kind of fun.
    Chuck

I am going to try to call some in this year. Sounds like fun!

Mont hunter

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    You going to try one? They bare really kind of fun.
    Chuck, Got mine and have been messing around with it. The popping is identical to a black bear. I am having a hard time with the sow moan. But I have the hissing down... that one's pretty self explanatory.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Chuck, Got mine and have been messing around with it. The popping is identical to a black bear. I am having a hard time with the sow moan. But I have the hissing down... that one's pretty self explanatory.
    Maybe we can get out together I can do the sow OK but my boar sounds pretty pathetic.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    Maybe we can get out together I can do the sow OK but my boar sounds pretty pathetic.
    Chuck, I figured out the sow last night. Waaa instead of ummm. The boar is low and slow.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast