Thread: Selling a boat in Alaska?

Question Selling a boat in Alaska?

Howdy,

Just got a transfer from WA to AK and will be moving up in the Spring.
    Have a Skagit Orca 27 XLC, which we have enjoyed using in the Puget Sound.
    It's a comfortable year-round boat down here for salmon, halibut, crabs, & shrimp.
    Even take it 60+miles offshore for albacore tuna outta Westport in the summer.

I'm sure that it will make a good boat in Alaska, too.
    But, how long is the sport-boating season up there?

Given, all of the other land-based recreational opportunities available in AK,
    I'm starting to wonder about diversifying my "liquid-assets" and selling my big-salt boat,
    in order to finance a smaller river-boat, maybe a raft, and some ATV's (or a plane)???

If I decide to sell? Besides here on AOB, where are the best places to advertize in AK?
    (Craigslist, Boat Trader, etc.)

Or convince me to keep my boat, because it can be used for so much more, up in AK.

Thanx, Dave.

Great boat for Alaska, great boat period. I would NEVER try and convince someone to sell a boat, unless they were going to sell it to me. Your boat have the flybridge and a diesel by chance? If so, then you should sell tomorrow as that boat would be worthless up here But only sell to me as that is what I'm looking for.

Seriously, from south east inside passage to PWS and Cook Inlet ~ there is sooo much area to explore and fun to be had. Hunting, shrimpn, diving, fishing and just plain exploring. Keep the boat, unless you want to sell to me!

I've got more hits on my boat on alaskaslist.com. Craigs list, the forum are all good spots.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

What part of AK are you getting transferred to?

I would personally keep it. Like said before there is a lot of exploring to do with a boat like that. I'm in south central and I usually go out of one port but have been to all 3 major fishing ports. On a good summer I typically get out on the water 2 weekends a month. I usually run my boat from April-September depending on the storms that roll through the gulf of Alaska in Sept. I know a few guys who use there boats till December time frame. And if you're transferring up here because of the military you could rent 4 wheeler, snow machines and river boats.

Craigslist or Alaskalist is to best place to sell. This forum has a rather small market and I rarely ever sell anything on here anymore. But always post here first then after a couple of days of "what will you take for it tire kickers" move the ad to criagslist or alaskalist and it will go within a couple of days if someone is looking for that particular item.

But if your boar has a hard cabin and a heater would certaintly bring it up. If nothing else it may sell for more up here. But it sounds like a great halibut fishing boat.

As a general rule, our ocean fishing runs from about the first of May until the end of September.
    Tennessee

Default Selling Boat in Alaska?

I agree with all of the other posts. That would be a great boat for Alaska, unless you are heading to Barrow or somewhere else that would prevent access to PWS or Inside Passage waters. My first thought was "are you nuts?" but I can see where one could be limited in access to the water. On the other hand, a lot of people would love to have that particular boat. For me, there is so much to see and do in Alaska on the water that can't be done without a good boat. You can always take a few good road trips to see some of the rest of the state but my bet is that once indoctrinated, you will be spending the bulk of your summer exploring and recreating on the water.

I got stationed up here several years ago. Sold my boat because I looked at the map and figured I was going to the middle of AK. No ocean nearby. I regretted it so.... I Got another big boat and haven't looked back. Even up here in the interior (Fairbanks area) it is still great. I run down to Valdez regularly. If your looking at the map and seeing Wainwright or Eielson and wondering why keep an ocean boat I'd say keep it. I used to get calls from folks getting assigned up here and the only ones I recommended they don't bring is a race baot from Lake Havasu or a serious high speed warm weather boat. Keeping your ocean boat is a good idea. If your coming to Fbnks you'll find lots of ocean boats in yards all winter long. About May first they migrate South to the water. I keep mine at Valdez from May to Sept and just drive down in the pickup for regular weekend fishing trips. Yes it's a 6 hour drive but one of the most beautiful trips and well worth it. My vote is bring your boat up. You won't regret it.

Great boat to have and to keep. Why not just add to it? River boat, maybe 2 or 3 of them, a raft or two, and a canoe is always good to have. Not to mention, 4 wheelers, snowmachine or two... When do we really have enough.
    Tony

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

PugtSounDave,
    You have gotten a lot of real good advise so far regarding your post.My 2 cents "bring your Orca up here".If after a few years, the boat is sitting more than it is sailing ,you can always sell it on any of the suggested venues i.e.Craigslist,Alaskalist,907 toys,etc.Heck you might even make money on the deal.

I have a situation I'd like to throw out there for thought....I'll be selling my 19' Klamath GTX powered with a 50hp E-tec soon. My question is ....with so much of our water in a solid state right now (iced over) should I wait to post it for sale after break-up ?I know I would want to take it out for a test run before purchasing .I could take it down to Homer and let someone test it out there,but if someone is just kicking tires I don't want do go to that extreme (100 miles each way).So should I wait or go ahead and post it now.?I'm not in any hurry and don't need the money urgently,just looking for others thoughts.

Moving to AK you may think driving 4-6 hrs each way is a long haul but that is what alaskans do in the summer months. If at times you head out 60 miles to fish you may also find that you might want to go further up here as its not all necessarily open water. Sounds like you've gotten plenty of good advice. If you still think other wise, I have a few smaller boats that we may be able to work out a trade with

As for Mark, you can't sell anything that nobody knows about. If your not in a hurry don't do anything your not comfortable with.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but an ocean boat is one of the best ways to access alot of land based activities. If you're going to be stationed in Anchorage, I'd say definately keep the boat. Even in Fairbanks, Valdez isn't that far.

As are as when to sell, I'd say right after breakup is when folks get fishing fever and are looking for toys.

A guy needs about 5 different kinds of boats up here so keep it! Great salt boat, then you can go for the other fun toys necessary up here like snowmachines and airplanes! Have fun!

Mark... The boat shows usually start in Feb.. then the Big outdoor show is early April... Ice usually goes out on the yentna and Big Su rivers in early May... But, probably because of the boat show ads, people start thinking about boating and looking at catalogs, brochures, Craigs Listy, Alaska List, etc,etc,... There is no cost to advertise on most of those on-line lists, so if it were me... I'd place an add on those lists about mid Feb... with photos...

Dave, you didn't say where exactly in AK you were going to... regardless, MWR rents river boats, motors, etc.. so my advice would be to keep what you have.. There is so much to see and do with a nice cruiser... and you could always rent a river boat to see if that's what you want.... and like someone else said, you really need about 5 styles of boats to take advantage of all there is up here...
    regards, John USN Ret

Yea, I forgot to say that we're moving to Anchorage.

I've already put my boat on the market down here (Boat Trader, BloodyDecks, iFish, etc).
    But, if it doesn't sell, I've also made a reservation for it on the AMHS ferry, MV Kennicott in May.
    So, I might be FORCED to spend a season cruising around Prince William Sound and Resurrection Bay.

Thanx for all the advice! Dave.

i don't know that there is a non sport boating season here in homer, i guess every winter the harbor freezes for a couple weeks maybe a month, we were out last thursday and caught a king and some crab, bring your boat

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Listed My Klamath GTX on Craigslist

I have decided to take the plunge and listed my boat on Craigslist in Anchorage and Kenai.Kinda hate to do it,I really like this boat,but the timing is right.Now I'll find out about the tire kickers or those that are really wanting a decent boat.
    025.jpgThanks to all who have contributed to successful days on the water.
    Mark