Thread: 4x4 Tires for Polaris which are best.

Default 4x4 Tires for Polaris which are best.

New to wheeling so I have some questions. I bought 2 used 2005 Polaris 500. The tires are a little wore and I was looking to replace them. So for questions

1. What tires should I get. I kind a narrowed it down to 26x10x12 front and 26x12x12 back
    2. Will they fit a stock machine.
    3. Should I lift the machine 2".
    4. What tires are the best I heard good things about the ( Interco Swamplites ) anybody use them, are they a good Alaska tire. I also like the ITP Mudlite XL

Thats all I can think of for now.

1. Any aftermarket tire will be better than stock.
    2. All tires are not measured the same. Some 26" tires are really 24.5". Some 27" tires are 27.5" In general, I think you'll be fine with any 26" tire. I do think you'll have a problem with 10" tires on the front, unless you put on wheel spacers. The 2005's still used MacPherson struts and there is not alot of room between inside tire wall and the strut. A 1" wheel spacer will give you that extra room to put a wider tire on the front than stock.
    3. I personally do not like lifts. Any change in the stock geometry up front results in parts wearing faster. Coupled with increased rubber by a bigger tire and there can be problems. There are tons of guys who have lifts and bigger tires and they have had no problems, but I just believe in stock reliability and I've never been anywhere in AK where 1-2" of extra clearance made the difference between getting home and not. However, there are tons of stories of broken cv's and people do not get home, at least not with their machine.
    4. Spend the "lift" money on a good winch, good synthetic rope, extra tow straps, and land anchor. You'll get more use for your money.
    5. I ride ITP 589's they are heavier than ITP Mudlites, but I had 26X9 F, and 26X12 R them on my 2006 Polaris 500 HO X2, which dry weight was 798 lbs and had no problems. No noticeable power loss. They are a tough tire, last forever. I've never punctured them, never ripped a sidewall, never had them come off the bead, nothing. I had them on my stock rims with the 2006 and now have them on stock rims on my 2010 Ranger 6X6.
    5. Polaris sells these rubber inserts that you can put into the front shock spring, which stiffens the stock spring and helps with sag from the weight of the winch, stuff up front, etc. I had 4, 2 on each spring. Stiffens the ride a bit, but heck its a 4X4 not a cadillac. They are cheap too like $20 for a pack of two. Very inexpensive compared to buying stiffer springs.

Thanks 1S1K
    I've been waiting for a reply. I bought a couple of these things used and really just want to up grade the tires because there wore. They both have winches and I will up grade to the syn. rope for sure thanks 1S1K. I've been stickered by some winch cables ouch.So I really don't want to do much changes but thought of 26x10 on the front do you guys think thats a mistake. Should I stay with 26x9 on the front Polaris standard. I would like some opinions.

Trakn - I had a set of 27" Interco Swamplites on my Grizzly 700, and they are a good mud/dirt tire but absolutely worthless in ice and snow. The rubber compound is too hard for cold weather, and they just slide everywhere and don't give you any traction. My new set is 26.5" (actually bigger than the 27" Swamplites - go figure.) Pit Bull Rocker XOR's. I absolutely cannot say enough good about the Pitbulls. They are designed for ATV's, meaning the rubber compound is geared toward a lighter vehicle and they work better in every conceivable terrain than the Swamplites did. They don't come cheap though - I paid over $600 for my set. There is only one distributor in AK for Pit Bull tires that I know of. PM me for his contact info if you're interested.

A cheaper alternative that is available locally through many distributors would be the ITP Mudlites. They are a good all-around tire for a variety of terrain. I can't help you with the Polaris specific info. Never owned one. Have fun with your new machines, and good luck getting them outfitted!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Have fun with your new machines, and good luck getting them outfitted!
    What he meant to say was good luck getting them OUT. ROFLMBO I have ITP Mudlite XTR's. They are 100% better than stock tires. I considered getting 589's but the ERPAC service manager suggested against it....something about burning though clutches and whatnot. Anyway, I am very happy with the XTR's. I'll echo having fun with them and good luck getting them out....fitted.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    What he meant to say was good luck getting them OUT. ROFLMBO I have ITP Mudlite XTR's. They are 100% better than stock tires. I considered getting 589's but the ERPAC service manager suggested against it....something about burning though clutches and whatnot. Anyway, I am very happy with the XTR's. I'll echo having fun with them and good luck getting them out....fitted.
    LOL, you said it, not me!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I just got 26" Mudlites on my Arctic Cat 400, Love them! very aggressive tread. Great in Mud, good for plowing, works for everything. Just stay off pavement with aggressive mud tires if you want them to last!

I have 27x10x12 front, and 27x12x12 rear, on my 99 sportsman with ITP 589's, which measure up about 26" I have about 3000 miles so far and never had a flat. I do however have ITP rims, with a different offset than stock, so clearance is a non issue. BTW, I have never burnt a belt or done damage to my clutches(stock clutching) as a result of my 589's, as someone above suggested may happen, and I ride as hard as anyone out there.