Thread: Kenai Wildlife Refuge or other

Default Kenai Wildlife Refuge or other

I'm looking at the KWR around Swanson River Rd. I know there's a tremendous amount of hunters who bait that area. I'd rather go further north ... past Sterling but before Kenai Lake. Are there any 'public' hunting areas that would host a good bear baiting area? (I don't want to get on Native land and get in trouble). I used to bait the haul rd north of Fairbanks ... now I live in Soldotna and that's not an option. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Happy New Year!

I have spent hours looking at maps trying to find a place to bait in that area that abides by all the rules and is not on Native land. Here is the link to the Kenai borough map. You can put overlays of ownership and click on the parcels to determine if there is a structure on the property. If you are willing to hike there are a couple of spots... good luck map hunting.
    www.borough.kenai.ak.us

I would also look at Marathon Road the refuge has some spots open out there. IMO if you head up the Kenai Rirver towards Copper Landing brown bear central and not just one or two. Of course we all now that, to many browies. I would also go north road up swanson. Thats my .02

Thanks for the info guys. I may just 'stalk' hunt for blackie's this spring.

Truenothed look at going south there is spots down past kasilof to anchor point
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

The baiting on Swanson is good however if you want a spot you nneed to spend the night in the refuge parking lot to get one that is accessable. I'll be there again this year the day before I hate having to do it but it is nice to have a bait ten minutes from the house. I wish they would open the east side of the road and give the hunters a little more room out there.