Thread: Kenai Pen Coyote

Default Kenai Pen Coyote

Not calling, just hunting semi-open country. She came out of a treeline and moved out in the open aways about 350 yards. Spotted me and moved into a small clump of brush. Gave me time to move to a small spruce tree and get a rest over a branch. She came out and stood quartering toward me.
    M70 .300 Winchester Long Range Hunter, 175 gr Sierra Match King Boat Tail Hollow Point, 73.5 grains of IMR 4350, Fed 215, didn't move out of her tracks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coyote 1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	43685

Nice shooting sameyer, way to go.

thats a pretty female yote!!! nice shooting!!!

Nice dog & good shooting. How did the bullet treat the hide on exit? I'm half thinking of taking the 30-06 out but I'd like to keep the hide in good shape.

So what was the final range with that 175 gr. bullet from a .300? I would have expected that coyote to be pretty torn up, but she looks totally intact. Great picture.

Thats a pretty dog has a nice dark collar on her throat. Good shooting too!
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Yep, I Agree, NICE SHOT

Cool Story and Pic, Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

"Nice dog & good shooting. How did the bullet treat the hide on exit? I'm half thinking of taking the 30-06 out but I'd like to keep the hide in good shape."

"So what was the final range with that 175 gr. bullet from a .300? I would have expected that coyote to be pretty torn up, but she looks totally intact. Great picture."

The bullet I was using, while being a hollow point, does not open up, acts more like an FMJ. But the velocities generated even out at 343 yards, does do some damage. The bullet entered the point of the shoulder you see in the picture and exited at the last rib on the far side. The exit hole was about 3" diameter. No worse than what a .22-250, Swift, or one of my favorites, the 6mm-.284 will do. If I was selling the fur I guess I wouldn't use this gun much, probably a Swift with Varmint Grenades, but I use the fur for personal items, hats, ruffs, etc... so it is not as much of a concern to me.
    Wyobohunter, if you can load similar bullets in your .30-06 I would expect the result would be similar with a little less damage. Regular soft point hunting bullets would be very destructive.

Thanks for all the comments.

Default awesome

Very nice
    Sure wish I could find one of them babies here on the KP, the only time I ever see them is when im duck hunting or not hunting. Never when im set up with the foxpro. Got a call from my bro in law he was out at a near by lake ice fishing and had a black wolf stand in one spot and watcdh him for a while, didnt care he was there at all of course he had no rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    Very nice
    Sure wish I could find one of them babies here on the KP, the only time I ever see them is when im duck hunting or not hunting. Never when im set up with the foxpro. Got a call from my bro in law he was out at a near by lake ice fishing and had a black wolf stand in one spot and watcdh him for a while, didnt care he was there at all of course he had no rifle.
    Ain't that just the way it goes! And with black bear too (for me anyway).
    Sameyer- sounds like you are going to the coyotes, rather than waiting for them to come to you. Maybe that will be my next strategy since sitting and calling doesn't seem to be producing. I set two places this AM in a river bottom and entertained the birds.

You say you were hunting not calling. How do you hunt a coyote?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Yeah... just how does one?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I know it sounds a little funny but walking in areas I have seen sign, mostly in open country and especially on clear cold days when the sun is high, they are moving around. They will be mousing in these open areas and they will also bed down at the base of wind drifts that are in full sun. Binoculars and glassing about as long as it takes to get cold, then move and warm up. If you can spot them at distance they tend to not vanish quite as quick as in closer and with the right rifle you have a fair chance of connecting. I expect this method is not nearly as successful as calling (if you are good at it and I am not). But you get to see alot of country slow and at ground level. You just never know what you will run into but a sure way to see coyotes is to leave your rifle at home!

if you get a chance to get up to the NE corner of the lake you just never know what might come by sayak. twice i've had coyotes come out and run with my snowmachine like a dog for about a half a minute before they veered off back in the woods. i remember thinking to myself, you're lucky its me.

Name:	tlake.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	43727

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    if you get a chance to get up to the NE corner of the lake you just never know what might come by sayak. twice i've had coyotes come out and run with my snowmachine like a dog for about a half a minute before they veered off back in the woods. i remember thinking to myself, you're lucky its me.

Name:	tlake.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	43727
    Is the shore navigable now? My buddy (Standup) knows someone with a cabin up there, and we've been talking about a trip. River sure seems to be frozen hard at Slackwater.

I'm gonna give it a try on Saturday but I know its frozen with the cold snap we've had. If you need a place to stay you know you're always welcome. The propane for the cookstove is stashed behind the outhouse. The NE corner hasn't been trapped for ten years and there are some critters there. One year I had a wolf lay out on the ice for about an hour where that coyote is.

Probably the best place to call would be that swamp just north of Indian Creek about a mile, or up on the glacier flats close to brush line. The moose herd up in that area during the winter and the wolf packs take them down there. Sometimes the coyotes work the shore line too looking for old spawned out salmon carcasses under the snow.