Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: night fishing?

Default night fishing?

ive been thinking of doing some night fishing for burbot, lakers, and char. only problem is that i have never done it before. i have done A LOT of ice fishing in the day but the lake i want to hit is so far away, and there isnt enough daylight.

my first question is how do you do it? do you just use bait and fish in the dark or do you light up the shak and the holes some how?

when it comes to nightfishing i am clueless so any tips/triks even secrets would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
    scencierly joe,
    and remember, RELEASE THOSE LAKERS!!!!!!!! and char.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    ive been thinking of doing some night fishing for burbot, lakers, and char. only problem is that i have never done it before. i have done A LOT of ice fishing in the day but the lake i want to hit is so far away, and there isnt enough daylight.

my first question is how do you do it? do you just use bait and fish in the dark or do you light up the shak and the holes some how?

when it comes to nightfishing i am clueless so any tips/triks even secrets would be greatly appriciated.

thanks,
    scencierly joe,
    and remember, RELEASE THOSE LAKERS!!!!!!!! and char.
    Great post Joefish, I was wondering the same thing about some night fishing... I release any lake fish I catch that feed on salmon carcass. They're full of mercury. I do like to eat the trout that are planted in the landlocked systems however

When I was a youngster like yourself Joefish, my buddies and I used to drag an old piece of sheet metal out on the ice with us and cut down some kindling from shore. We would get a big bonfire going and fish all night long. It was a lot of fun. Kept us out of trouble. Not like these teenagers today. Most of em wouldn't tough it out on the ice for some fish. Probably they're ipods and cell phones would freeze up.

Ill be out night fishing at sandlake tonight. Anyone have tips? I have heard that jigs tipped with shrimp produce in 10-20 feet of water. I caught a 14-15 inch rainbow in early june on cocktail shrimp and he was full of small raw freshwater shrimp. Do char actively feed at night? I am looking to do catch and release.

accidental post

There are some pretty diehard guys that fish hardwater. Cross country skiing pulling 300# of gear at night. Way out of my league. I don't do frostbite. Some are spoiled rotten. They hang out in shanties at 80 degrees wearing flipflops, shorts and wife beater shirts at -30 and act like they are tough.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    There are some pretty diehard guys that fish hardwater. Cross country skiing pulling 300# of gear at night. Way out of my league. I don't do frostbite. Some are spoiled rotten. They hang out in shanties at 80 degrees wearing flipflops, shorts and wife beater shirts at -30 and act like they are tough.
    HEY What you talkin bout Willis..

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    When I was a youngster like yourself Joefish, my buddies and I used to drag an old piece of sheet metal out on the ice with us and cut down some kindling from shore. We would get a big bonfire going and fish all night long. It was a lot of fun. Kept us out of trouble. Not like these teenagers today. Most of em wouldn't tough it out on the ice for some fish. Probably they're ipods and cell phones would freeze up.
    Funny you say that. I took two late teens or early 20's students from the school that i work at ice fishing last week. One had their headphones in the whole time. The other, and I think this is much worse, decided to play her music out loud on the cell phone speaker. I was disappointed for about 5 seconds and then realized that this is what it is like every day at school. Why would it be different while fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by browell7 View Post
    Funny you say that. I took two late teens or early 20's students from the school that i work at ice fishing last week. One had their headphones in the whole time. The other, and I think this is much worse, decided to play her music out loud on the cell phone speaker. I was disappointed for about 5 seconds and then realized that this is what it is like every day at school. Why would it be different while fishing?
    thats a shame, some people just dont realize the awsomness thats right in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by browell7 View Post
    This Is rather sad how my generation is...at least to me rather pathetic I was raised in the outdoors and i cant stand people my age because they are too interested in ipods and myface and spacebook or twitter to enjoy the natural beauty that is the alaska outdoors. I swear i will be raising my children the same way i was raised to avoid this and make sure they get the same love and respect for the outdoors that i was raised to have.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I use a Lantern in my iceshanty . I also wear a headlight and that helps a lot for tying knots and doing other things outside the shack like checking burbot lines.
    It is harder for the fish to find your bait because they are using mostly their sense of smell . Bait IMHO is a must.
    For burbot I prefer Herring. Char seem to like Raw shrimp pretty good.
    I like to use my Vexilar Flasher because I can see the fish come in.
    Sometimes you have to tease the fish like trout into biting. I have caught Kokanees and Rainbows by jiggling the bait and then raise it a foot or so and repeat until they hit it. I can see that they are chasing it on my vexilar and when I find they won't chase it any further I drop back to their level and continue to jiggle it in their face and they will often hit it. Seems to work good if they don't want to bite but you can see they are there on your flasher.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have never ice fished, when I was a kid frozen lakes were for playing hockey! My kids have gone w/ grandpa a few times and love it so I plan on getting into it when I get back. I wonder how a jig head would work with the bait. Jigging crappie in poor visibility water down in TX we would slowly raise the rod tip and then drop it suddenly about 6" and abruptly stop. The jig would fall and "bounce" as it hit the end of the line, you could see the "bounce" in the rod tip. This sudden "bounce" would create vibrations in the water that the fish could hone in on. This was different than the jerk up and let fall that lots of people seem to use. The experience fisherman that showed me explained that the slow method kept the jig closer to where it sent out the "shock wave" so the fish could find it easier and was more natural. I know crappie and bass at least use their whole body to "feel" what is going on around them. I would expect that is a fish trait in general and not really species specific so I am curious if that technique works in AK. I would expect it to work pretty good for night fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have never ice fished, when I was a kid frozen lakes were for playing hockey! My kids have gone w/ grandpa a few times and love it so I plan on getting into it when I get back. I wonder how a jig head would work with the bait. Jigging crappie in poor visibility water down in TX we would slowly raise the rod tip and then drop it suddenly about 6" and abruptly stop. The jig would fall and "bounce" as it hit the end of the line, you could see the "bounce" in the rod tip. This sudden "bounce" would create vibrations in the water that the fish could hone in on. This was different than the jerk up and let fall that lots of people seem to use. The experience fisherman that showed me explained that the slow method kept the jig closer to where it sent out the "shock wave" so the fish could find it easier and was more natural. I know crappie and bass at least use their whole body to "feel" what is going on around them. I would expect that is a fish trait in general and not really species specific so I am curious if that technique works in AK. I would expect it to work pretty good for night fishing.
    Yup thats why I like to just jiggle it a bit. No large movements if the fish are near. If they just won't bite thats when I raise it and try to get then to chase it.
    I do use baited jigs all the time. It is rare for me to use a plain hook anymore.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have used jig heads with bait in the day time and found it works.
    I have had some good luck at dusk right before it get completly dark, but have not had much after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    This Is rather sad how my generation is...at least to me rather pathetic I was raised in the outdoors and i cant stand people my age because they are too interested in ipods and myface and spacebook or twitter to enjoy the natural beauty that is the alaska outdoors. I swear i will be raising my children the same way i was raised to avoid this and make sure they get the same love and respect for the outdoors that i was raised to have.
    You are unfortunately a rare breed these days Albradley! But, it is AWESOME to hear that at least one member of your generation can appreciate the beauty of the world outside of an iPhone. It is for this very reason that I hesitate to bring children into this world, because they all (except you) seem to think the universe revolves around Facebook, smart phones, and iPods. When the U.S. loses electricity, you will have the knowledge and experience to survive, while they will be cursing Google for not being able to find them the nearest McDonalds to eat at!
    I like your style dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    You are unfortunately a rare breed these days Albradley! But, it is AWESOME to hear that at least one member of your generation can appreciate the beauty of the world outside of an iPhone. It is for this very reason that I hesitate to bring children into this world, because they all (except you) seem to think the universe revolves around Facebook, smart phones, and iPods. When the U.S. loses electricity, you will have the knowledge and experience to survive, while they will be cursing Google for not being able to find them the nearest McDonalds to eat at!
    I like your style dude!
    Or they could be getting paid huge salaries to repair the problem and design fail safes to prevent it from happening again. I did a lot of tinkering as a kid and learned a good bit about computers and electronics. I also loved to hunt and fish!!! That said the former as paid much better than the latter!!

if your in a shack i use a bright lanter i have a coleman north star and i have fished for weeks with it on 1 bottle, but if im on the ice i shovel out between all the holes and were the fire is ,i think it helps get some light under the ice i also use a glowing jig with shrimp and the lantern gets them glowing like a champ in seconds some guys put egg shells at the bottom of there holes too depending on how deep you fish.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Or they could be getting paid huge salaries to repair the problem and design fail safes to prevent it from happening again. I did a lot of tinkering as a kid and learned a good bit about computers and electronics. I also loved to hunt and fish!!! That said the former as paid much better than the latter!!
    True, but that would also require this generation to have motivation, which they seem to lack.

True, but that would also require this generation to have motivation, which they seem to lack.
    Moti-what?

Great response. Laughin my you know what off!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast