Thread: Ds118

Smile Ds118

I just found out that I will recieve a DS118 tag THis is a ewe tag in southwest 14C. I was wondering if anyboby had hunted this area and could let me know some particulars on accessability, conditions, terrain, and other factors.

Thank you in advance

Eric

Let me get this right...you put in for a special drawing sheep hunt and know nothing about the hunt!!! One has to wonder what it was that prompted you to put in for that particular hunt...or am I just not seeing the whole picture?

Default Here's the answer

Probably put in because the odds are good for the tag right Eric? Same reason I would. Also weekend accessible, inexpensive, etc. Who cares what the reason. Anyway here's what I would do (I put in for the same area without knowing anything and had a great time):

Walk up the indian valley trail over the pass and camp near the top. Once over the pass the hunt is open. Sheep (especially ewes) will be on the East side of the drainage. Hiking is not technical and getting an ewe should be pretty easy if you glass a bunch and are patient. My sheep was killed on the valley floor next to the river. All down hill back to the highway once you get your sheep. Go get 'em.

Gooch

Default thanks for your response Gooch

Thanks for the response, I am just looking for more info and that is helpful, and any more from other sources would be great.

And Shphtr when did I say I knew nothing about the area. Did you ever think when someone posts on here they are just trying to find out more info, from other sources, isn't that what this forum is for. Or is it for people to bash people for asking questions.

Eric

I think you answered your own question.

UNB..typically when someone applies for a tag, they usually research it to find out if they can even pull the hunt off. just because you didn't or didn't much, isn't a bad thing. i'd help you out but all my ewes i've taken outa northern 14C. i hear alot of ship lake area and upper ship creek. access i don't really know well, never been there. Needless to say there are other ewe tags that are alot easier, both mine i left after breakfast and ate supper at home. Next time jump in here with questions about area before you apply for the draw and then when you do draw you'll be ahead of the game already.
    no ones downing you for doing it the other way around, you got a good tag, some great eating. just do some checking, maybe hike it this summer.or a week or so before you tag and you'll have a great handle on what you wanna do.
    I think there are books available here (from webmaster?) with trail guides to chugach state park. good luck!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Relative to sheep hunts, I doubt there are any much easier than that one. I don't know if I've ever gone hiking above treeline in CSP from ANY access point to your area and not seen at least a ewe. You'll probably have one by supper, a three day weekend at tops. Make it as hard or as easy as you want.
    Last edited by Fullcurl; 02-21-2007 at 10:47. Reason: spelling

Default Another Idea

Gooch's idea of going over Indian Pass is a good one. This one is probably even easier: Park at the Glen Alps parking lot (Flattop), head towards Powerline Pass, then hang a left and go up to the little pass between The Ramp and The Wedge. Camp just below the pass and in the morning peek over the top and be ready to pull the trigger....

It's only 5 miles of easy hiking and you can even take a scouting trip in just a few hours after work.

Smile Thank you

Thank you for your input. That is what I had planned, just wondering what other people knew or had heard. I am looking forward to it and will post when done.

Eric

I'd start by going up artic valley and glassing the valley for sheep then consult your Imus CHugach State Park map to figure out the best access point. If theres nothing there try glassing from bird ridge.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.