Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ski doo E- TEC

Default ski doo E- TEC

Anyone have thoughts on the e-tec engines, good vs bad.-- thanks.

Love mine. I have a Renegade Backcountry with a 600 e-tec. Put on about 100 miles this weekend side-by-side with my Summit with a 600 SDI. The e-tec used about 1/2 of the gas and less than 1/2 the injector oil as the my Summit. I only have about 700 miles on my machine, but so far it's been absolutely trouble free. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I ride an '09 600 ETec Renegade. It's reliable starting (one pull), quiet, smooth throttle, decent power, sips gas and oil - I usually use about 1/3 the gas of the 800 H.O.'s I ride with and the oil barely gets touched.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

the 600 E-tec is a very solid platform, and the best gas milage machine out there right now. This is the true first year of the production 800 E-tec, so I am waiting to see what the weaknesses are. I love my 800R summit, 2000 miles of pretty much trouble free use all over the state, lots of river miles on it.

rented a 600e tec, got 40miles out the denali hwy and locked it up tight. bad day for me. won't ever ride one again. gas mileage was good, quiet, but don't bother opening the hood, less your a rocket scientist. don't take one remote, you can't work on it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have two '09 600 Etecs. They're great, and that comes from a guy who was a reluctant SkiDoo buyer. I haven't been interested in anything else since. My buddies with SDI and pre-SDI 600 SkiDoos all want one since they've ridden mine. The XP platform is part of that, too.

BRWNBR, Etec criticism from a Polaris 800 rider? That's one for the books!

Is there such a thing as a fan cooled E-tec?

nope, no fan cooled e-tecs. I would doubt it would happen, but it could. Most of the e-tecs cooling system is closely monitored, But that might mean they could make it work someday???????

ha well the polaris 800 ain't working right and they can't figure out why, the summit 800 has burned up three rewinds and two statar coils (currently 50 miles out the denali hwy...) and the 600 E tec seized...guess that leaves me lookin' at a cat now i guess.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

i have an etec 800 with almost a thousand miles on it and i absolutely love it, my buddy has a etec 600 with over 9000 miles on it and he loves it, bummer you got on one that burned up, cat's are probably one of the more reliable two strokes out there in my opinion as well as experiences... i have over 1800 miles on my cat 800 without a single problem... good luck with whatever you chose...

Cat is better, Yamaha will definattely ran the longest, 2strokes etec or not is 20th centrury technology.

Etecs are not your daddy's old 2-strokes. They have all the positive traits of 2-strokes with much more consistent performance than used to be possible and they comply with the emissions requirements. They start great, run strong in all temps, and throttle response is always crisp. Together with a light weight chassis the XP series sleds are the best all-around sleds for my needs. As usual all the brand loyal guys will have some cracks to offer about whatever they don't ride. Probably with no experience with what they criticize, too. I'm not brand loyal. All four of the manufacturers make great stuff. You may not fit their target market or may simply fit better on another brand but there are no clear winners and losers. I like them all. I like my Renegades best for what I do. That may change next year when somebody raises the bar and improves on what's out there now. I can only hope!

By the way, there is nothing 21st century about 4-strokes. Emissions regulations are what's driving the sport to 4-strokes. Gravity is what's preventing 4-strokes from dominating.

all 2strokes are like chainsaw, loud and with peak power only at full throttle, thats boring in my opinion I much rater have a sled with good throttle response and torque at lower rpm. my friends have renegades and there is nothing so special about it I had skidoo and got rid of it after trying 4stroke. Weight difference isnt really a factor when each gallon of fuel adds 8lb dont fill her up all the way especially if you weight close to 300lb..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    By the way, there is nothing 21st century about 4-strokes. Emissions regulations are what's driving the sport to 4-strokes. Gravity is what's preventing 4-strokes from dominating.
    Many, many years ago I worked at a marina in Sitka which sold Honda motorcycles and outboards. I remember a bulletin coming across my workbench which showed a Honda 4-cycle snowmobile. It was an impressive machine for the day (1974), but never made it past the concept stage. I've often wondered what would have happened had Honda entered the snowmobile wars like their competitors, including Kawasaki and Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by adventureguy View Post
    all 2strokes are like chainsaw, loud and with peak power only at full throttle
    ?
    If you're talking about the etec, I would have to say you've never ridden one or even been around one to hear it.

The etec runs extremely quiet- it just purrs along. And the power applies evenly and consistently- one of my friends today referred to it as a "gentleman's (or ladies) sled" because of the way the throttle grabs gently and increases consistently. You don't have to pin it to get power and I always feel like I have great throttle control- I don't get jerked around or roost snow (unless I want to).
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Well shame on me! I just love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning. It reminds me of all the caribou hunting, ptarmigan hunting, wood gathering, ice fishing and general good times I've had in the last 35+ years of sno-going in this great state. Maybe it's like some guys love those smelly diesels, I donno. Never thought I'd see guys so prissy about a little blue smoke.

Now if the etecs and 4strokers help do away with the dam brappers... well maybe we have some progress.

True etec is better but will never be good enough to replace fourstroke engine, its evident that brp knows that and is trying to transition towards more durable and economic technology with their introducion of 600ace.

SkiDoo has made 1200 and 800 4-strokes for at least a couple of years. They're quite popular among guys who favor the models they're available in. The thread originated with a question about Etecs specifically. The question has been answered by several folks with Etec experience. And cluttered by some who don't. 4-strokes have their place. So do Etecs. I have both and like both. Two different manufacturers and two very different sleds. I don't see one replacing the other.

All the fuel economy and lack of smoke, etc. etc. don't do a bit of good when it's COLD and a four stroke won't start. Worst investment i have ever made, glad to get rid of it, and get back to my gas guzzling, 2 stroke belching fan cooled 2 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by oka in ak View Post
    All the fuel economy and lack of smoke, etc. etc. don't do a bit of good when it's COLD and a four stroke won't start. Worst investment i have ever made, glad to get rid of it, and get back to my gas guzzling, 2 stroke belching fan cooled 2 stroke.
    Well gee, oka, you shoulda just plugged it in! Hahahahahaha!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast