Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Gun Question; How many own/use the 45-70 Guide Gun?

Default Another Gun Question; How many own/use the 45-70 Guide Gun?

Another question I've wanted to ask you guys who live it, how many use & hunt with the 45-70 Marlin 1895 or Guide Gun?

I've had three over the years, an 1895 and two Guide Guns, one blued & poprted (Ouch!) & one SS with a big loop. I never had a rifle that killed deer so hard up close ! Found out I didn't need all I could get out of them down here, so settled on a medium level load using a 350 grain Hornaday Round Nose at 1800FPS from a Guide Guns's 18.5 " barrel. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but even at that, 10 rounds of that from the bench was enough for Excedrin Headache #4570. Shooting offhand I had to wrap my support hand all the way around the barrel or it would twist out of my hand and with heavy loads it was a real bear, almost as heavy recoiling as the unbraked 300 RUM. Still, using my medium load I was able to empty it into a milk jug at 25 yards in a couple seconds and retain a tight group.

A couple years ago I received medical advice advising me to quit shooting the heavy recoiling stuff. So being the Guide Gun, 300 Win Mag, 300 & 7MM RUMs got traded in. The only big bore I kept was my braked 338 Mag. I will stop shooting 12 gauge (about 1000 rounds a year on average, most 3" steel) when I die off.

I really missed that handy Guide Gun package and just about left scratch marks getting in the local sporting goods store to order when they came out with the 336BL. I call it the Baby Guide Gun. It is a 336 30-30 with 18.5" barrel, full length tube, laminated wood, and factory big loop lever. With the 160 grain Leverevolution ammo, it's no 45-70 Guide Gun but is pretty OK for medium stuff and fun to shoot.

So the question remains is the Guide Gun in 45-70 (or 450 Marlin) a truly viable general use Alaskan gun, is it more a tool for the pro big bear guide, or is it an idea sold to us in the Lower 48 that has little use up there?

I'm going to guess the Baby GG in 30-30 although a handy carry package and capable of 200 yard shots with 160 grain Leverevolution ammo, lacks the stopping power to be a viable full time carry Alaskan rifle?

this is my "baby guide gun" in .35 remington...so far i have taken 3 elk with 3 shots. the closest shot taken was 200 yds. this rifle is stock except for a wwg' trigger, ejector, and big loop lever, and is an honest 1 .25" gun.

** read judge folta- alaska's bear hunting judge. he killed many alaska browns and grizzly's with his .35 remington!
    happy trails.
    jh

I own a Marlin 45-70 set-up with a 3x9 lever-revolution scope. I shoot the 325grain Hornady bullets that are matched for the scope. Truly an awesome weapon. To date have only used it on pigs and white-tail deer in Texas. I plan to take it on safari with me to Africa for cape buffalo. Have some 500 gr solids worked up for it. I want to bring it up to Alaska this year for a spring or fall bear hunt. In early stages of planning that hunt, looking for a couple of guys that might want to do set-up for a bear hunt. I would be comfortable shooting it to 200 yards.

I bought one just after moose season this year. Still working on scope, mounts, and a proper load. I think with 425 grain hard cast bullets it will be a fine short range moose/bear gun (within 100 yds, prefer within 50). I'm going to give it a shot next year but I think for the most part it is an idea put in peoples heads to sell guns. Most hunters/guides will be sticking with there bolt action .338s/.375s.

I use the Marlin 1895 45/70. Used it in the UP. Michigan Deer and Ontario Black Bear with great success. Quite a bit of punch. I use hand loads and am hoping to try some Leverlution(sp) to try at the bench. Can adjust your load as needed. Not a fast projectile but when it hits the target oh boy. I do quite a bit of stalking. I love my Marlins for thick woods. Great bush guns.

I have an 1895 in .450 Marlin I liked so much that I took it to a local gunsmith to get worked over. I should be getting it back within a few days and it will be my primary big game gun. Maybe I'm just not recoil sensitive, but it doesn't seem that bad to me. I've handloaded some pretty stout .500 gr. thumpers for it, and I could feel those, but even my wife has fired it with Hornady factory loads. I like having a quick handling gun with enough power to stop the biggest bulls and bears, plus the ability to make quick follow-up shots.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I've taken mountain goat, brown bear and caribou with my .45-70. It's my favorite rifle. Totally worked over. Look at the DRC lever versus the large loop.

It'll kill anything, anywhere.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I've taken mountain goat, brown bear and caribou with my .45-70. It's my favorite rifle. Totally worked over. Look at the DRC lever versus the large loop.

It'll kill anything, anywhere.

Taylor
    Marc, I don't think the DRC lever is available anymore. My gunsmith gave up trying to get one for me after a year backorder and went with the WWG lever. I wish I could have gotten the DRC though. I like the shape and dimensions of that one better than the WWG.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

So the Guide Gun really is a viable any guy/every day AK rifle and not a marketing hook...

I killed a couple deer with those 45-70s I owned. All were shot from 20-30 yards and I'm here to tell you, it killed them a lot. I don't think a 12 gauge slug would have flattened them any harder, if even as hard! It seems to me the 45-70 has killing power way beyond what one might expect, given it's ballistics. Still a couple deer in ND is not the same as betting a guy's life on it in AK. That's why I asked you guys who live it. I really appreciate your opinions & thoughts...

Too bad Marlin doesn't split the difference between the 45-70 and 30-30, maybe chamber that handy little 336BL in 444 or even better the 338 Marlin Express. The thought of that combo intrigues me...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    So the Guide Gun really is a viable any guy/every day AK rifle and not a marketing hook...

I killed a couple deer with those 45-70s I owned. All were shot from 20-30 yards and I'm here to tell you, it killed them a lot. I don't think a 12 gauge slug would have flattened them any harder, if even as hard! It seems to me the 45-70 has killing power way beyond what one might expect, given it's ballistics. Still a couple deer in ND is not the same as betting a guy's life on it in AK. That's why I asked you guys who live it. I really appreciate your opinions & thoughts...

Too bad Marlin doesn't split the difference between the 45-70 and 30-30, maybe chamber that handy little 336BL in 444 or even better the 338 Marlin Express. The thought of that combo intrigues me...
    Now I'm confused - Marlin produces rifles in both .444 and .338 Marlin Express. I'm guessing the action on the 336 isn't strong enough for either, but the overall dimensions of the rifles chambered in .444 and .338 ME aren't really that different, are they?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

traded mine for prt of my soar PP... love the raft, miss the gun... think i need another one...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

I have a 1895 GS that I do really love but havent gotten to use it on anything yet. Hoping to use it on musk ox here in a couple weeks but well see what happens. Have the rifle at my "home away from home" in Nome and the landscape up there is so open its hard to not wanna grab the 300 win when its time to go hunting. Would love to add a rail and scout scope to improve its deadliness at the further reaches, quick release of course because the ghost ring is simply deadly and extremely fast at close range. small package that will kill anything on the planet with the proper load...what a sweet gun!

If the ballistics are any indicator, the .45-70 would not seem to compare very favorably with some of the more popular "guide calibers" such as the .375 or .416 or .458. Having used the .458 and .500 H&H and .416 Rigby there was a very noticeable difference between the .458 and .500. The .458 was certainly less effective than the .500 H&H, and, that difference was very noticeable.
    Would be interesting to hear what it is about the .45-70 that makes it such an effective "guide gun".
    Joe

I don't think its a brown bear guides gun due the the ranges a guide may have to shoot to keep a bear out of the thick stuff.That said the round with a good hand load will do its job within its limits and past a 100 yards its gave up its power for my use though it did work for me on a not even close to record bear at yards.When you consider that the 458winmag is a 100yard round and the hot 45/70 at the muzzle give what the 458winmag does at a hundred you can really see its limits.If willing to get close it will do the job. My load for two brown, biggest 7 1/2' and seven blacks was a Hornady 350grRN at 1880fps and all pass through.These were shot with the standard 1895 with the longer barrel
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I've had decent success with the Guide Gun.

Owned one, shot it a good deal but never carried it hunting. Sold it and recently bought another. They seem like fun but have a limited range for hunting. Maybe one day I'll use the new one but for the most part just can't seem to get attached to one, or the round. No offense intended to those who like them but the round or the rifle just doesnt rock my boat.
    Tennessee

I have one in .450. Haven't killed anything qwith it yet but the Mrs shot her first bear with it.

Oh, look. The naysayer just showed up! I expected that...

Pitiful. The original poster didn't ask for alternatives based upon ballistics that may or may not be superior. Dead is dead, moron. And the .45-70 kills just as dead as any .458, 500 or .416.

I don't care what you or your grandaddy used to do. This thread is about the .45-70, so butt out! But then again, it's not your style...

Taylor

What makes it a better guide gun? Seven rounds of lever-quick stompdown power, that's what. I'm very surprised you didn't realize we were talking about a levergun here.

But a double rifle is okay? What planet are you from?

Taylor

Garrett Hammerheads. 420 or 540-grain. No finer worked-up load necessary.

Taylor

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast