Thread: Swaro confusion?

Default Swaro confusion?

OK, I am confused. I have always known that I wanted the Swaro EL bino's. I like the magnesium body with it's lighter weight. Life was simple SLC=heavy Aluminum, EL=light magnesium. Recently it seems that there is a new SLC HD and it is shaking things up for me. It looks to be made of magnesium and weighs the same as the old EL's. <?> Pricing seems to be all over the map now with some of the Swarovison EL's going for more than the new SLC HD's and I honestly don't know what the flagship model is anymore.

Can someone break it down for me? Doug?

Not sure about the SLC HD, but there is an EL model and a Swarovision EL model that are several hundred $ more. The swarovision model is what is comparible to the Leica Ultravid.

Did you find any answers?

The New Swarovision EL is the "Ultimate" model....its the best of the best, thus the price.

Quote Originally Posted by goosepilot View Post
    Not sure about the SLC HD, but there is an EL model and a Swarovision EL model that are several hundred $ more. The swarovision model is what is comparible to the Leica Ultravid.
    Do you mean the Ultravid "HD"?

I was able to find some info online. It seems both have their strong points.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=182605

One thing these birders tend to hold in high priority is the ability to focus at the really close range on a bird so they can see every detail... not a real big priority in my world where I'm glassing out 100 to 2000 yds or so. BUT... I do believe the clarity required to successfully focus at 3 meters and less aid in the clarity we seek at long range as well. Keep in mind a lot of these differences are how they justify selling you a "new" pair of 2000 dollar plus glasses. A new coating this year, a differnt hinge next year, a 32nd of an ounce lighter the year after, desert tan color after that... and we all feel the "need" for the latest and greatest. I love the finer optics, but have a tough time to tell the difference between my SLC's and EL's out in the field... other than the physical properties that is... just my 2 cents worth...