Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sno-go when calling?

Default Sno-go when calling?

My buddy and I have been calling for a number of years. Sometimes we use them, and other time we don't. I don't mind them, my buddy hates using them. We both agree there are pros and cons of using machines while calling.........so what does everyone think? Do you use them? Why or why not? Just curious to see what other are doing and thinking!

I hope you drum up some discussion with this because I've been wondering the same thing. I'm pretty new to hunting predators and would like to know if I'm going about it wrong. I ride my snow machine out, hide it in the trees, walk 50-100 yards from it, wait a few minutes and start calling. After 15-20 minutes I get back on the sled and ride a mile or so away before repeating the process. I wonder if the sound of the sled drives them outta the country and I'm wasting my time with calling? I do have x-country skis so I could go in quiet but I couldn't cover near the ground.

They have their place. It all depends on where you are hunting I suppose. If you are in thick cover where it will be hard to get in with the machine then it is kind of pointless but if you have to go down trails and open field/tundra to get to your stands then it will be a great tool to have. wyobohunter just nailed it without it you cant cover nearly as much ground. As for noise either I go where they are use to it or it doesn't bother them. I have a summit 800 2stroke with a MBRP can and it is LOUD even at idle and while putting around slow it is loud and I have still had decent success at least with the calling aspect of things. I also take my snowshoes or xc skis to get further in once I use it to get close to my calling spots. And I have a white bed sheet with some little camo job done on it to toss over the bright yellow cowling when I get parked..

There's definitely a time and place for the snow-go's. I run an older Skandic 440. It's not super loud, but loud enough to let predators in the area know that I'm there. If I'm in areas where people run snow-go's all the time, I'll just pull off the trail as best as possible and stash it in the trees. Then, I'll walk sometimes no more than 30 yards from the machine and start calling. I've had success doing this, but only in areas where the animals are used to hearing machines. If I'm breaking a trail somewhere, then I try to use a hill to hide my sound, and hike up and over the other side to call, hoping that the hill shielded the machine's sound to some extent. This too has worked alright at times. I have a camo cover for the machine, but I don't even mess with it anymore. I figure if they're going to bust me from the backside where I hide the machine, they're going to smell me and the machine anyways, so the gig is probably up. With Lynx though, they might just walk by the machine anyways, camo'd or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    They have their place. It all depends on where you are hunting I suppose. If you are in thick cover where it will be hard to get in with the machine then it is kind of pointless but if you have to go down trails and open field/tundra to get to your stands then it will be a great tool to have. wyobohunter just nailed it without it you cant cover nearly as much ground. As for noise either I go where they are use to it or it doesn't bother them. I have a summit 800 2stroke with a MBRP can and it is LOUD even at idle and while putting around slow it is loud and I have still had decent success at least with the calling aspect of things. I also take my snowshoes or xc skis to get further in once I use it to get close to my calling spots. And I have a white bed sheet with some little camo job done on it to toss over the bright yellow cowling when I get parked..
    Great idea about the cover for the sled! Would work great fro my tundra! Never even thought about it!

Haven't had any luck but I perfer to get away from the machines and set up. Most of the time they circle me or just don't get close enough to even seen them but they let you know they're there. I like to hunt on noon light nights but I wonder whos getting the better deal, them or me? Never try in the middle of the day since I'm too close to regular snowmoble activity, they are just to smart for me...

Sounds like a few of us run old Ski-Do's. Mine is a 90' Tundra LT. If I ever get a new one I'm eyeballing that 4 stroke Tundra. 29 mpg & should be fairly quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Sounds like a few of us run old Ski-Do's. Mine is a 90' Tundra LT. If I ever get a new one I'm eyeballing that 4 stroke Tundra. 29 mpg & should be fairly quiet.
    Thats a great machine. A couple buddies and I got one but we opted for the old standby--the550f. Really liked the idea of the 4 stroke but was very leery with only one way to start it. That was our major concern along with the price jump when you said 4stroke. So far the 2010 have been phenomenal.

As far as my strategy goes its all based on the terrain. If its really woody and I've been going slow dipen and diven I try to get some distance from the sled. If its wide open, and especially if the area isn't pristine I walk 20 or 30 yards. I do okay, I don't have snowcamomans numbers yet this year but I'm not far behind. I think he is catchable. Good luck to all

woundedknee,
    If I would've connected on everything I've actually called in this year, I'd be one tough cookie to catch. I haven't posted all of my kills yet this year, I'm holding back...
    I have a new area that I've located a few group of coyotes in that I'm hoping I can put the hurtin' on this week. I'll keep you posted..

Sorry to get off topic. I'd get a new machine, but the old 440LT just keeps on going and I can't see any reason to shell out a small fortune for a new one yet. Maybe I should paint the cowling white, or have the thing duracoated????

I also havent posted any kills or catches in traps yet. Fairbanks and the surrounding is a small area just like when Jpost posted his wolf pics 2 days ago I know EXACTLY where that is based off the pics. So I will elect to wait until end of the season and make a big thread and hope people forget about my spots by next year .

Exactly bsj45, very good points. I recognize jPosts area as well and have hunted around there, but not recently. I hope you post up a pile of photos, that'd be great to see and read about. I try to take most of my pictures in my driveway or with a very unrecognizable backdrop. Most people wouldn't give a second thought to most of the areas I call, or want to hike into them anyways.

Maybe I should paint the cowling white
    I'm thinkin' of doin' just that. My poor ol' sled musta been a pizza delivery unit back in its day (it came from Michigan). It's got a "Noid" and the phrase "Avoid the Noid" hand painted on the cowling. I don't think white paint... even if done a little sloppily could possibly make it look worse!

Can't do much about the arrival noise, but gentlemen, buy a white REAL canvas drop cloth of 6x10 at Home Depot and get out your big black marker and go crazy drawing trunks, branches and twigs. The canvas is somewhat heavy, but lays well over the machine. Could double as an emergency shelter too, I guess. Total cost is less than $16. If your wife is handy with the needle, maybe you could make one fit well over the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I'm thinkin' of doin' just that. My poor ol' sled musta been a pizza delivery unit back in its day (it came from Michigan). It's got a "Noid" and the phrase "Avoid the Noid" hand painted on the cowling. I don't think white paint... even if done a little sloppily could possibly make it look worse!
    Hahahaha. Im not sure many people up here know what the Noid is. I run an old tundra ii. Somes i like to drive around blocks of brush then sit and see what comes out. Not calling or anything. Has worked a couple of times.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I remember the Noid, being that I'm originally a Michigander (troll) from under the bridge.

SharksintheSalsa, are you originally a Michigander too?

Sometimes when I'm plowing through thick wooded areas, I collect enough snow on the machine that the thing simply looks like a pile of snow anyways.

yeah i grew up in michigan....im a troll too...i'm from here

Oh god, we're in the middle of a Michigander show and tell.... (rolls eyes)

anyways...heres my whip

Love the custom windshield. You are now a true Alaskan.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Can't do much about the arrival noise, but gentlemen, buy a white REAL canvas drop cloth of 6x10 at Home Depot and get out your big black marker and go crazy drawing trunks, branches and twigs. The canvas is somewhat heavy, but lays well over the machine. Could double as an emergency shelter too, I guess. Total cost is less than $16. If your wife is handy with the needle, maybe you could make one fit well over the machine.
    GREAT IDEA!
    I had an 93 Skandic 503R. It crapped out on me, so I bought a 2010 Tundra 550F last November. So far, I like it aalot!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast