Thread: Leather Sling, How To Keep From Slipping Off Shoulder?

Default Leather Sling, How To Keep From Slipping Off Shoulder?

It is my first leather sling, bought about a week ago. Very slippery. Not sure what to do, roughen it up somehow, or????

Buy some of the rubbery net material used for cabinets in RVs and cut it to width of sling and length it will contact your shoulder. Then silicone it to your leather. It doesn't show and keeps the sling from sliding.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    It is my first leather sling, bought about a week ago. Very slippery. Not sure what to do, roughen it up somehow, or????
    IMO, and IME, a leather sling should not be slippery. That is often the reason for choosing Leather.

I'm wondering if your leather sling is too hard, or stiff. I would try SOFTENING, rather than roughening it up, or buy another leather sling, that's not slippery.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Replace with neoprene sling?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Buy some of the rubbery net material used for cabinets in RVs and cut it to width of sling and length it will contact your shoulder. Then silicone it to your leather. It doesn't show and keeps the sling from sliding.
    Kind of along the lines I was thinking, thought of using hot glue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    IMO, and IME, a leather sling should not be slippery. That is often the reason for choosing Leather.

I'm wondering if your leather sling is too hard, or stiff. I would try SOFTENING, rather than roughening it up, or buy another leather sling, that's not slippery.

Smitty of the North
    My first one. It is a military style one it said. Finished on both sides, rougher sides are both inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Replace with neoprene sling?
    I don't like neoprene, to stretchy. Best sling I have by far is a black nylon webbing 2" wide with rubber threads threaded into it. Too wide for my .17hmr lever gun. Leather looks sweet on the rifle, just slippery on the shoulder.

Thanks for the info guys. Any others suggestions out there?

I've had a leather padded sling for over 25 years on my 3006. It has a thumb loop. If I just throw it over my shoulder, it slips, but when I slide my thumb in it and just let my hand rest, it does just fine. Maybe you could sew on a loop about nipple high or what ever height is comfortable and try that.

A simple way I've heard about is to sew a big button on your shoulder. Might sounds silly but I'll bet it works well.

You might try a few dabs of Aqua-Seal on the inside of the sling, where it contacts your shoulder. The button works too, but you have to wear the same shirt / jacket every time.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

(laugh softly now...)

Consistently hit the weight room and develope those sloping shoulders into some square shoulders...

(OK, seriously...)

All slings seem to come sliding off my shoulder. So carry a larger backpack and you will not put it on your shoulder...or...
    Start using a "safari sling" where the rifle hangs in front of you keeping your hand free to carry your spotting scope but still keeps the rifle only one second away from shooting that charging boar.
    (Not everybody likes the use of "safari slings" for a few different reasons.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    You might try a few dabs of Aqua-Seal on the inside of the sling, where it contacts your shoulder. The button works too, but you have to wear the same shirt / jacket every time.

-Mike
    That stuff is pretty tacky and I have around somewhere. Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    (laugh softly now...)

Consistently hit the weight room and develope those sloping shoulders into some square shoulders...

(OK, seriously...)

All slings seem to come sliding off my shoulder. So carry a larger backpack and you will not put it on your shoulder...or...
    Start using a "safari sling" where the rifle hangs in front of you keeping your hand free to carry your spotting scope but still keeps the rifle only one second away from shooting that charging boar.
    (Not everybody likes the use of "safari slings" for a few different reasons.)
    It is just my winter small game gun. Sling is 1" wide. SW has them. Heck no I am not gonna put on muscle! Just loose in the off season! I bet you would like my rifle sling on the ruger. SW had them but only for a short time. Safari was the brand, 2" nylon, just not sure of the model. Low profile, and stays in place all the time.

All the ideas are good ones. I will figure something out when I have time. Definately liike the aqua seal, stuff bonds to about anything, well I have seam seal of some sort, the good stuff is all I know. I think aqua seal is the name brand of it.