Thread: Coyote Calling

Question Coyote Calling

Well my new FoxPro Scorpion has arrived at my parents house in Mississippi. I will be heading down in about 2 weeks to visit them and hopefully call a coyote or two. My mom said she hears them just about every night howling plus they think the coyotes got my nephews puppy. My question is I'm new at predator calling and was looking for some pointers on calling. I need "Calling for Dummies".

When is the best time to call? How long does your calling session last? How long to wait before starting a new calling session? What sounds do coyotes respond to best?

I went out calling a little Friday with a homemade e-caller but had no luck. My goal is to get a Lynx? I have wanted a lynx for many years and have not got one so I'm taking up predator calling. Plus it will give me something to do in the winter months.

Thanks for any info in advance.

PM Sent, check your in box...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Stanly... you think you could share with me also... me and my buddy are going out for our 2nd time on Wen... we already have several places to go... just need some pointers

I too am new to predator calling. Bought myself a lil' dog and have been out twice with no luck... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've only got a few days left of break before I have to go back to teaching and hunting time gets cut down significantly. Like I said in an earlier post, I am new to predator calling and the area, so I could use some tips. I have been up Zero Lake Rd a few times and other various places around Houston/Willow - called for hours but without result. Really would like to bring home a coyote, fox, lynx etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bcook33,
    Be really quiet getting into areas to call and watch the wind. You don't want the wind carrying your scent where you expect to be calling. Walking in with the wind in your face is the way to go if possible. If not, call cross wind and watch your down-wind side. Have your rifle ready to do in the direction you expect an animal to come from. Use a bipod to keep the rifle up and ready if possible. Keep any movement to a minimum and I really mean minimum. I basically use my eyes to scan and slowly turn my head to either side very very slowly to watch for movement. Set up with some cover around you to break up your profile. Try to call in areas you know where predators live or where you've seen fresh tracks. If there's nothing in the area, or no sign, move on. If you're calling in ravens and birds, you're doing fine with the caller. I'd stick to rabbit distress sounds for the most part, unless you want to howl with the caller to locate. Those are just a few pointers, I hope they help and you can connect with a predator. Patience is the name of the game up here.