Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a .204 Ruger big enough to take a wolf - I know the answer!!!

Default Is a .204 Ruger big enough to take a wolf - I know the answer!!!

You never did see a feller nail the gas, lock up the brakes, throw the gloves and goggles, remove rifle from scabbard, chamber a round, scope caps up, step away from the view blocking snogo exhaust, drop to knee, take aim, oops safety on, re-aim, miss, miss, WHAMO as fast I did today! I consider myslef lucky, although it was a pretty fair shot at 215 yds running away. The wolf folded and never moved. My first wolf - finally. I howled with the rest of the pack for an hour or so afterwards, but they weren't coming in. I'll be baaaaack........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st wolf_12-26-10.jpg   1st wolf.jpg  

Default 2 more pics

found a moose shed near the wolf - they chewed on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolf and snogo.jpg   Wolf and moose shed.jpg  

AWESOME!!!! Good Job man
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Awesome Wolf. I just talked the wife into letting me get a .223. Trapping has not be going to great for me and my friend this year so we are going to start calling them also.

Great pics, geeeees them things are big! Glad you won the restling match............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

very nice wolf!.. i have seen Bou shot with the .204 ruger i just turns every thing to jelly as it passes through..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks Vince. I hit her right in the neck and of course she dropped instantly. I'm quite certain the 35gr Berger didn't exit, wouldn't expect it too, and it left a .20 cal hole going in. Be fun to find the bullet when I skin her. I always figured the .204 would work fine for a wolf with a head, neck, or lung shot.

Holy CRAP that is a big one!!!! So jealous here Brother. Just cruious as to a little more detail on the shot. She was still running or did she stop, you hit her facing away? Good shooting. I just worked up several loads for my 20 Practical this weekend. If you don't know the 20 Practical is basically a ballistic twin to the 204 but burns less powder. It's a 223 necked down to .20. Have a custom upper I'm waiting on to get back from Black Ice Coatings. Man that is so cool, what beautiful color. What are you going to do with it, rug, mount etc...? Congrats!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Interesting you should ask... I know you already know the answer, but I'm currently reading "Alaska's Wolf Man" by Jim Rearden. The subject of the story, Frank Glaser has taken every big game animal in this state with a .220 Swift. ( To be fair though, he preferred the 30-06 for grizzlies.) Put the bullet where it needs to go and you have nothing to worry about. Nice wolf, by the way!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Stanly: the wolf was on a dead run, quartering away, I lead her just a bit, and hit her right in the neck (3rd shot). It was crazy excitement, things happened faaaaast, goggles and gloves flying, gun out of scabbard, etc, it was a rodeo I tell ya! I knew I only had a few seconds to react and then it would be all over. I should have had my rifle slung on my back since I had just got to the "good spot". It's pretty rare to see them and then get a decent crack at one, you really have to be prepared to go through the motions, QUICKLY.

I'm sure I'll just have it tanned - no rug or mount.

"Alaskas Wolf Man" - awesome book for sure. The .220 Swift is pretty mean medicine. The .204 is right there with velocity (4,000 fps), but the Swift is a larger cartridge. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    Stanly: the wolf was on a dead run, quartering away, I lead her just a bit, and hit her right in the neck (3rd shot). It was crazy excitement, things happened faaaaast, goggles and gloves flying, gun out of scabbard, etc, it was a rodeo I tell ya! I knew I only had a few seconds to react and then it would be all over. I should have had my rifle slung on my back since I had just got to the "good spot". It's pretty rare to see them and then get a decent crack at one, you really have to be prepared to go through the motions, QUICKLY.

I'm sure I'll just have it tanned - no rug or mount.

"Alaskas Wolf Man" - awesome book for sure. The .220 Swift is pretty mean medicine. The .204 is right there with velocity (4,000 fps), but the Swift is a larger cartridge. Thanks.
    Exactly my reason for bringing up the .220 Swift. I personally feel the .204 can do everything the .220 Swift can do, and then some. Bullet construction has come a long way.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I got my .204 just before getting to Alaska and asked if it would be good enough for wolves and a I thought it would be but some people had different views ..........but it is a great round huh?

Although I didn't buy my .204 specifically to be used as a wolf gun, nor would I, with good shot placement it will do the job nicely. I read great reviews about the .204 cal 35 gr Berger bullets so I tried them. My gun shoots them very well and they seem to perform well. I hope I retrieve the bullet upon skinning the wolf.

Have you shot any critters with your .204? If so, how did it perform?

Congrats!!!!! I am so jealous it's sick. You bagged a fine animal with a great story behind it. You are a lucky man.

Sweet! Beautiful wolf.....great job. 220 swift is a great round, but will burn out a barrel fast (compared to other firearms). My buddy (big pred hunter) has done a ton of research on "varmit rifles," and we just recently read an article in an older book, and it stated it is not unusual to burn out a barrel in about 10 boxes (250 rounds or so) of factory ammo. Obviously new technology and gun care are a big factor. So is how the gun is shot. The hotter they ran the barrel, the quicker the barrel shot out! I guess I'm just throwing out a little back story to the 220 swift (for whatever reason). I've really been looking at that .204 though! Seems like a fun round!

Whoa.......... That is a big dog
    Now what ?

Sweet Wolf, Congrat's nice job with finding the shed, 2 trophys in the same day.

Nice wolf jpost and a great story. That certainly is a big wolf. Did you happen to weigh it? I bet that wolf goes around 130-140 lbs. I have read "Alaska's Wolf Man" and it is a truly enjoyable read. Congrats on the wolf.

Great story and photos, congratulations on a beautiful trophy. As soon as you spotted it, was it on a full out run, or did you happen to catch it around a bend in the river and were already fairly close? That's a big wolf, did you weigh it? Thanks for sharing that successful story.

Thanks guys.

I haven't weighted it yet, but I will. I'm a little stumped on it's age. The canines seem small, worn down, and are all chipped up and broken indicating an older wolf, but they just don't seem to be that big. I'll see what my trapping buddy thinks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast