Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel help needed!

Default Reel help needed!

What is the best conventional reel you can get for under 150.00? I will be using it for Halibut fishing . I will be using 80lb braid, Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What is the best conventional reel you can get for under 150.00? I will be using it for Halibut fishing . I will be using 80lb braid, Thanks for your help!
    You do realize that out of 20 replies you're probably going to get at least 15 different answers?

I personally prefer, and use, Penn 320GT2 reels. I don't think there are many reels that compare for just around $100. If you want a lever drag their LD model is about $150.

Or if you want a little more bulk and more line capacity the 330 is only about $10 more than the 320s. I just prefer the 320s myself.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Dude talk to 270ti, he seems to have a pretty good grasp on equipment. He recommends lighter gear so a guy can catch a rock fish or a salmon but yet handle a decent halibut. Mut knows his gear too but it sounds like he's more of a chinook slayer, if you want he'll oblige you w/ a limit of dinks if you want

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Dude talk to 270ti, he seems to have a pretty good grasp on equipment. He recommends lighter gear so a guy can catch a rock fish or a salmon but yet handle a decent halibut. Mut knows his gear too but it sounds like he's more of a chinook slayer.
    Yeah, there isn't anyone else on this forum that has a good grasp on equipment other than either 270 or me (I guess when it comes to kings). LOL!

Sorry, fullbush, but "sounds like" isn't reality. I fished about 90% of the time this summer for halibut, which was over 70 charters and a heck of a lot of halibut, so I think I have a pretty good grasp what works for them and what doesn't. And there are plenty of other people on this forum that have a pretty good grasp, too. Please don't be telling people IN YOUR OPINION who the people are that a person should or shouldn't be listening to. That's not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Please don't be telling people IN YOUR OPINION who the people are that a person should or shouldn't be listening to. That's not cool.
    Mut, if its w/in the rules, AHEM, its cool. Plus I'm playing around and you know it. I mean look at who authored the thread, (kgpcr) do you not think he's not entertained when you get your knickers in a knot? Guess again

I agree with Captain T on the 114Penn. They work good and are easly to fix. Back in the 80's and early 90's I used the 114 Penn's and the Diawa 900 with the 130lb Dacron Line. You need a big spool because the diameter of the line. Around 93 they came out with Spider Wire smaller diameter so I switched to the Diawa 600 series. I never had a Diawa Sealine break but the paint on the reel would peel off making them look bad. The price on the Diawa's is around $135. http://www.lg-outdoors.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HK_600H

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Mut, if its w/in the rules, AHEM, its cool. Plus I'm playing around and you know it. I mean look at who authored the thread, (kgpcr) do you not think he's not entertained when you get your knickers in a knot? Guess again
    Sorry, I'm not doing this for the "entertainment" aspect of things, and I do NOT believe that just because "if it's w/in the rules, AHEM, it's cool," as you say. I am not someone that finds the boundary of "the rules" and then tries to press things to the edge of that boundary. Saying someone is an idiot, to me, is within the rules. Apparently some people think expressing our first amendment rights to freedom of speech in a public forum is not allowed. So I will not do it again to keep within the "rules" of this forum. What an interesting concept---"it's alright to speak your mind in a positive way, but don't even think about saying something negative about someone." I won't go into the historical analogies that this brings to mind, but anyone with half a mind will know of what I speak. I took a lot of guys out fishing this last summer that risked their lives fighting for that freedom. And I am proud of that fact. Too bad it is being repressed here.

I try to provide the best information AS I SEE IT for people that really care about it. I know I've had "problems" with quite a few people on this forum because they don't seem to like someone that speaks his mind without reservations. I'm sorry for being so outspoken, but I am passionate about fishing and doing it in the most enjoyable manor possible. I only speak from the 19 years of experience I've had in fishing Alaskan waters and try to provide for people that don't have that experience a viewpoint from someone that does. I'm not sure why the odd minority of people that take offense to everything I say just can't leave MY opinion to be evaluated like everyone else's opinion without one of those (idi**s) having to totally contradict what I have to say. And seemingly just for the sake of contradicting me.

NO. I am not the GOD of fishing. NO. I don't know it all. NO. I will not try to impose my viewpoint on every person in the world. But I will speak my mind, and I am sorry that there's a core few people here that find what I have to say so offensive. Hopefully the majority of people that have gone fishing with me and have rebooked with me because of the enjoyment they have gotten out of the experience will prevail.

To get back on the subject. The reason I prefer the Penn 320's (or 330's) over the 9M, or the 114, or any of the other "conventional" reels they offer is the one piece graphite frame. I have used 9M's and have had them come apart where the screws hold them together and at a very bad time. I have found that the one piece graphite frame holds together very nicely and also deals with the torque that can be subjected to it when fighting a big fish that can strip a lot of line off your reel in one long run. I have never compared "innards to innards" on them, but I have a feeling between the 300 series and the lower numbered series of reels you're going to find the gears and other components are on par with each other. I would be happy to change my way of thinking if someone knows more about them than I do.

I also agree that the Penn 114h is a good reel for the money, I have a few of them and they have held up pretty good over the last few years. I have a couple okuma reels I bought last year for under 150 bucks, but the jury is still not out on them, I can't recommend them after only using for part of one season, but so far I like them
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I agree that for durablity and cost you can't beat the 114h or 113H but for sport I used the Penn 525 Mag and as small as it looks, we caught a number of halbut over 150 pounds on it no problem. I would suggest #65 briad if you know how to fish. You will use less lead and not loose any fish becasue of it.

Muttley your posts are so inflamatory and unfreindly I don't even like to use this forum anymore. Strictly because of you, I avoid posting good information that alot of these guys have used for years before you came on here. You need to look at what you have been writing on here. It is not very nice and for a guy who is pushing their charter business on this forum, it is bad business to come off the way you do. Don't bother responding and hijacking another thread. Just take it for what it is worth.

Sorry, I'm not doing this for the "entertainment" aspect of things,
    Sorry but I am doing it for the entertainment aspect, along the way I'm learning valuable info and meeting great people, if it wasn't fun i would not participate .....bud its the middle of winter!

For the sake of the thread, what size line would one consider on a 320GT2 for a "combo" rod; i.e. for use on salmon, ling and halibut? I want to go as light as possible to reduce belly and so I can fish less weight, but what have you guys figured out for durability? Is 40# spectra (or similar) enough????

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    For the sake of the thread, what size line would one consider on a 320GT2 for a "combo" rod; i.e. for use on salmon, ling and halibut? I want to go as light as possible to reduce belly and so I can fish less weight, but what have you guys figured out for durability? Is 40# spectra (or similar) enough????
    If you want something for everything there will have to be a compromise somewhere. If you are a talented fisherman the 40# will get you by until the big one sees daylight. I use 55# braid for my lightest bottom fish setup. The norm for me is 65# for dedicated halibut jigging but I move up another notch to 80# for friends that aren`t experienced with big fish at the surface. All that said I still jig 14# mono on a 8' light spinning rod (downrigger rod) down to 300' but have quality reels and drags...and know the limitation.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

To get back on the subject. The reason I prefer the Penn 320's (or 330's) over the 9M, or the 114, or any of the other "conventional" reels they offer is the one piece graphite frame. I have used 9M's and have had them come apart where the screws hold them together and at a very bad time. I have found that the one piece graphite frame holds together very nicely and also deals with the torque that can be subjected to it when fighting a big fish that can strip a lot of line off your reel in one long run. I have never compared "innards to innards" on them, but I have a feeling between the 300 series and the lower numbered series of reels you're going to find the gears and other components are on par with each other. I would be happy to change my way of thinking if someone knows more about them than I do.
    Mutt, spend some time browsing Alan Tani's website and reel repair threads. The 320gti has merit because it has the same size drag stack as the 114h senator, in a much smaller package. The smaller 310 has the same approximate drag stack and gear sleeve size as the 9, 10, 209, 210, etc and isn't suited to much more than salmon on 20lb mono. The 320 can pull enough drag to easily fish 65# braid.

FWIW to the original poster, Charkbait has penn 525 mags on sale for 2/3 your limit. That's a tough little reel. Run 50 or 65# spectra and enjoy yourself.

[QUOTE=Muttley Crew Fishing;859257]Sorry, I'm not doing this for the "entertainment" aspect of things, and I do NOT believe that just because "if it's w/in the rules, AHEM, it's cool," as you say. I am not someone that finds the boundary of "the rules" and then tries to press things to the edge of that boundary. Saying someone is an idiot, to me, is within the rules. Apparently some people think expressing our first amendment rights to freedom of speech in a public forum is not allowed. So I will not do it again to keep within the "rules" of this forum. What an interesting concept---"it's alright to speak your mind in a positive way, but don't even think about saying something negative about someone." I won't go into the historical analogies that this brings to mind, but anyone with half a mind will know of what I speak. I took a lot of guys out fishing this last summer that risked their lives fighting for that freedom. And I am proud of that fact. Too bad it is being repressed here.

Mutley just a note. You do not have first amendmet rights here as this is a private forum. You can be kicked off it at any time. This is a privately owned site. Also i find you can provide good information from time to time but you can also be down right rude and very abrasive. Its all about how you say something not just what you say. If you dont know how to do that then i would watch what i say and use some self discipline an just walk away from some posts. You have had more run ins that anyone on here that i know of. If you have a problem with one person it may be the other person. If you have a problem with many people it may be the person in the mirror. That is exaclty how i used to deal with some of my employees who could not play well with others. Mutley i think you have a good heart and want to help when you can but just cant help being abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Mutt, spend some time browsing Alan Tani's website and reel repair threads. The 320gti has merit because it has the same size drag stack as the 114h senator, in a much smaller package. The smaller 310 has the same approximate drag stack and gear sleeve size as the 9, 10, 209, 210, etc and isn't suited to much more than salmon on 20lb mono. The 320 can pull enough drag to easily fish 65# braid.

FWIW to the original poster, Charkbait has penn 525 mags on sale for 2/3 your limit. That's a tough little reel. Run 50 or 65# spectra and enjoy yourself.
    There is a guy who does his homework. Alan Tani is the authority on the quality of fishing reels. he does not get paid for his expertiese. he disects each reel and finds the good and bad. I fished with Alan for five days and I can tell you, the guy is a technician and a student of all types of fishing. He does do reel repairs and is the best. Great website, filled with information.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Muttley your posts are so inflamatory and unfreindly I don't even like to use this forum anymore.
    Hmmmm. Very interesting statement. I've been told that posting negative comments about another poster is against the rules. For some odd reason I have this weird feeling your post won't be removed. And, of course, I NEVER post anything that is worth reading. I am really, REALLY tired of the SELECT few people that take everything I have to say as being inflammatory and unfriendly (you should learn how to spell) and "flaming" me for being outspoken for something that I love and really believe in. Fortunately they are only a "vocal minority".

kgcpr---so you're saying this forum does not have to follow the laws set forth by the United States Constitution? Hmmm. I won't go into that.

akfshklr---to get back to your question. If you know what you are doing with a particular rod and reel I'd say you can catch a very large halibut on 40 lb. test Spectra or even lighter. Especially if you have enough line on your reel to let the fish do its own thing. You have to remember it isn't the weight of the fish that's important in terms of line strength, it's the amount of pressure that's being exerted on the line---if you have 40 lb. test line and no more than 40 lbs. of pressure is put on the line it will be fine. I've had some pretty big halibut come pretty much directly to the surface without much strain on the line, so I probably could have gotten by with even 20 lb. test Spectra in those cases. I'd say 40 lb. line would work fine for you and especially if you aren't fishing somewhere that you're likely to hook into a monster halibut. And if you do, have fun!

Thanks, and I appreciate your input Mutt and Ak2AZ.

kgcpr---so you're saying this forum does not have to follow the laws set forth by the United States Constitution? Hmmm. I won't go into that.

Dave i hate to break it to you but the 1st amendment does not mean you can say anything any where. You are totaly wrong there. Again a fine example of how you spout things you know nothing about. The constitution does not say this forum must allow free speach. This being private property and all but again thanks for spouting about what you know nothing about. You proved my point

I'm pretty much an ABU Ambassadeur slut (can't believe that word didn't get filtered out! ) myself. See if you can find a pristine 9000 or 10000 series level wind (made is Sweeden, not the newer made in Chinkland stuff) for $100-150. Here's one on a custom 7' fenwick fenglass rod I built for myself. 300 yds of 80# powerpro is all a guy will ever need for halibut IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast