Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: big cats in southeast

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default big cats in southeast

Heard of a report last week of a mountain lion spotted on kupernof island. Plenty of deer on that island and lots of cover. Makes me wonder how far north will the big cats will wander and how many sightings until fish and game ads them to the hunting regs. Probably be considered an exotic and try and wipe em out I would think?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

more likely they will be a new species and protected.. as they came here on their own.. there was one shot in Wrangle back in the late 80's early 90's... the guy got fined heavily.. as he kill the only known one in AK..

invasive or exotic species tend to be those that ended up here as transplants or on accident due shipping (like the mouse) There were no coyotes up here until recently... but they are not considered invasive as they migrated in on there own and have slowly grown..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Its amazing they are willing to swim so far in the cold water as even in the back channel its a mile or better at closest point for Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I didn't think a cat would swim for anything. Cats hate water like the plague.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    lol not the big cats they swim regularly...Discovery channel
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Fined for shootin a dangerous animal thats not listed as any type of game, fur, or protected animal. Seems pretty harsh and i imagine there are alot of folks that reside round there that dont want a predatory cat around.
    Oops i got my islands mixed up "Mitkoff Island" sorry bout that. Think Id remember what island my hometown resides on. Anyway i remember some years ago another couger rumor goin around and story goes it came across dry straight durin low tide.

regs say something about no hunting a wild animal if it is NOT in the regulations. That to the best of my knowledge does not include feral animals. Years back people swore they saw mule deer near Salcha. Speculations ran rampant; from wild stock migrated from Whitehorse area, to feral stock brought in and somehow released/freed. If feral, then they'd be legal.
    Most likely elk from Delta, or hogs, if running wild, would be considered feral around interior, but not sure how the deer, if they were real, would have been categorized.
    Interesting about the Cougar. As I recall British Columbia has them, and for a wild animal looking for food Wrangell was not that far away.

You do not want them to establish a population in Alaska. I'm not advocating anything illegal, but if I saw one I would probably develop an irrational fear and feel the need to kill it in self defense.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I think some wild game taken here may come from another country or island but Wrangell is always the best answer if asked. As for low tides it could happen but 200' negative tides are rare
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think the big cats have been in SE for a long long time. There have been occasional reports for as long as I can remember. As elusive as they are you'll be extremely lucky to ever catch sight of one in that country.

[QUOTE=Vince;858962] there was one shot in Wrangle back in the late 80's early 90's...
    yup, i know that one is real, saw a pic of it a few years ago and it was a beast. i think it was shot up the stikine river delta. i also know of one that was up chowin down in berners bay north of juno about 60 miles on moose

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I think the big cats have been in SE for a long long time. There have been occasional reports for as long as I can remember. As elusive as they are you'll be extremely lucky to ever catch sight of one in that country.
    Agreed. The rainforest would be the best hiding place for a big cat. Hope I never run into one..

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fpp2ioDHQw
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Smile DRy Strzit

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think some wild game taken here may come from another country or island but Wrangell is always the best answer if asked. As for low tides it could happen but 200' negative tides are rare
    Will, theres a reason its called Dry Strait...
    You could probably do it in waders at low tide.

Lived on the east coast for years and "heard reports" of big cats out that way. Never one picture. And some times they have polar bears on the Penn. Ok, that ones true.

they have been rumored to have been seen as far north as LIVENGOOD.. 80 miles N of Fairbanks..

meet on face book here

Yep I heard of one near Donnelly Dome south of Delta a few years back. There was a confirmed Mt lion sighting down on the Kenai a couple years ago also. I remember the Salcha Mule deer thing as well as someone seeing a deer out on CHSR once. I remember reading an interesting article a few years ago about deer moving north in Canada. The article talked about the growing number of deer in and around the Whitehorse area, which is an area that didn't have a single deer not to far back. They also said where there are deer, there are lions. In fact they had a report of a lion in the Whitehorse area, that was confirmed when they found the emaciated dead cat in an abandoned car. My recollection of that article may not be exactly right, but itís what I remember. Anyway Whitehorse isnít that far from us in the interior. Interesting stuff!

the cats have ate all the deer in Kalifornia so the pressure is Northward.

They're probably just pets being released into the wild, happens all the time down here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast