Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Varmint rifle question

Default New Varmint rifle question

I'm thinking of buying a .204 not sure what brand of rifle, any ideas, experiences what is the most accurate rifle out of the box? whats the effective range on the .204? my eyes are getting old so the really long distance guns are probably out anyway thanks for any input.

My opinion, I have a 204, ruger, shoots great, BUT, I think you would be better off to just get a nice 223, lots easier to get ammo, or components for, The 204's light bullet has trouble in the wind. I like to shoot the 52 grain in the 223, I have had kills out to 587 yards with it(223). Just ground squirls,(sage rats) but it wil still works out there. You will have to reload the 204 if you plan on shooting it much as the factory ammo is sometimes hard to get and costs $$$. The 223 would be good in the Browning Medallion, They have a medium heavy barrel, mine has a BOSS on it, The Ruger and Savage rifles have 204s, stainless steel synthetic stocks. Again this is my opinion, you can get better if you want to get a custom rifle made. Have FUN shoot stright.

Thanks gerberman, I orginally was thinking about .223 just for thoese very reasons and then a friend told me about the .204 which I know nothing about but sounded good. anyway I may just stick with my orginal thought and go with the .223

Well, prior to today I couldn't speak for how the .204 kills hairy things. Take a look see at this:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...now-the-answer!!!

I reload, use 35 gr Bergers, it was a 215 neck shot and the wolf crumpled. My .204 is a Remington SPS, cheapo, nothing fancy, I think it was like $400. It shoots 1/2 groups all day long- I really like it - even more with my 1st wolf! Good luck.

Great Pics, congratulations on the wolf, hope you get a few more, now I'm really undecided.

I just bought a Savage Edge in .223 at sportsmans in anchorage for .230 bucks. I think I got the last one at that price but they had camo ones for $250. I shot my rifle for the first time today and got about 3/4 inch groups. Did not have my caliper on me, but i was shooting off an old picnic table anyways. I was using the hornady vmax. looking through all the reviews I have seen, this rifle shoots 5/8 inch groups with the sierra game king BTHP 62 grain bullets. I would definatly go with a .223 though as you can buy ammo for it anywhere and at much much cheaper prices than a .204

Don't forget about Tikka T3. Not too pricey with 1 moa guarantee. I've got a T3 Lite Stainless in 30-06 that's a great shooter. I wan't to get a T3 varminter or Lite stainless in .223 Rem for cats & dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by akbone View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a .204 not sure what brand of rifle, any ideas, experiences what is the most accurate rifle out of the box? whats the effective range on the .204? my eyes are getting old so the really long distance guns are probably out anyway thanks for any input.
    Agree with most everyone on the .223, it is a great little varmint round provided you aren't really interested in long range stuff. With that, virtually any of the new .223 rifles for sale today will shoot with plenty of accuracy for those distances. I have a New England Firearms single shot .223 with a heavy bbl that shoots great, is short and handy to carry, has enough weight to make those quick off hand shots easy and if I remember right, costs around $200. Now if you want to really get into handloading, long range varmint shooting, and pin point accuracy that's another story. The .204, the .22-250, .220 Swift, various .243 diameter rounds are all great cartridges for varmints and are a lot of fun to develop loads for and play with.

it is a great little varmint round provided you aren't really interested in long range stuff.
    I'll respectfully disagree (sort of). Although there'd be less figuring for bullet with a faster shooting .22 caliber cartridge like the 22-250... I don't see any reason why the same job couldn't get done with a .223 Rem. as the accuracy potential is there.

There are plenty of guys shooting 600 yard shots with different AR types. Look it up on youtube. I would most definatly step up to a 25-06 if i was serious about shooting long distance. Most of the fun is calling in those rascals within a hundred yards though. With my short experience with a 22-250 though, wind drift is a huge huge issue. The 72 grain or 69 grain rounds out of the .223 seem to cut the wind a bit better. I am sure a hand loader could stuff something a little heavier down the pipe of a 22-250 though. As long as you have an accurate gun 300 yards and in you will be a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I'll respectfully disagree (sort of). Although there'd be less figuring for bullet with a faster shooting .22 caliber cartridge like the 22-250... I don't see any reason why the same job couldn't get done with a .223 Rem. as the accuracy potential is there.
    My bad choice of words. Of course the .223 can be a marvelously accurate cartridge, a better way to put it would be the ability to connect at long ranges under real field conditions. That is were the hot .22 centerfires and even better, 6mm, and on up really shine.

...there'd be less figuring for bullet with a faster shooting .22 caliber...
    I meant bullet drop.

a better way to put it would be the ability to connect at long ranges under real field conditions.
    I agree. I'm still trying to decide what to settle on. Not to hijack but maybe the O.P. & I have some of the stuff below in common.

I've narrowed my choices down to:

-.22 LR and keep my shots under 100 yds. I've got a great shooting CZ 452 that likes CCI Stingers but is that enogh gun? Prolly not enough for wolf unless I'm really close (under 50 yds), even then it may be questionable. Obvious bonus is little or no fur damage and I've already got the rifle. Down side is my range is so limited.

-Shotgun, already have that but range is limited and I don't reload shotgun shells.

-.243 Win... I've got an H&R Handi rifle that I can shoot pretty good (1.5 moa consistantly) with the 6x Weaver scope I've got on it. Three ammo choices are.
    -Really light bullets, these may be nicer on fur but I'm giving up good ballistic coefficient.
    -Heavier FMJ stuff. My rifle likes the Sierra Gameking (why is it called that anyway?) 90 gr FMJBT. Good B.C. but will it drop a critter in it's tracks?
    -I've already exploded a coyote with this rifle using 85 gr HPBT. It weren't pretty.

-Buy a new gun (probably another Tikka) in either .223 Rem. or 22-250. I know it'd be a good shooter (Tikka guarantees 1 moa), it shouldn't be to rough on the hide and I'd get to stretch the range a little. I like this option best and I figure if all of you were to pitch in it'd be a nice present :-)... What to do?

I just got a Savage Edge .223.... I went to sight it in... and all I can say is wow... I normally don't buy cheaper guns... but in my opintion this isn't a cheap gun... it is a steal. I am taking it out in the field for the next two days... me and my buddy are going to hit it hard.. hope to have pics up on the weekend and let you know how it did on the hide.

Holy Crap, I'm gettin a headache reading this post. You've got several posters stating their uninformed opinions (not stating their experience with) on several calibers ranging from 22LR up to 25-06 and 30-06. But hey, this is the internet age, watch a guy on youtube making 600 yard shots and heck, anyone can do it. No skill involved there, heck no, give me that gun and I can make that 600 yard shot, NO PROBLEM. To each his own, but after 2 or 3 posts and then to come back with a .22LR if I keep my shot under 100 yards...Prolly not enough for wolf? Really, hey why not a .177 pellet rifle, or better yet, how about gettin really sporty, I'll bet I can take a wolf with one of those big bore blow guns I saw at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day. Heck, guys take wild boars and even Cape Buffalo with spears, anyone can do it. These posts/topics/questions always bring a wide range of opinons ( and that's great and what these forums are all about) but I gotta say this one is right up there as far as shear uninformed opinions as I've ever read. In case you're not sure what I mean, go back to the original post take your time and read them all from the begining, thouroughly. No one states their experiences with the calibers they mention, just "I read, check out youtube, I heard, etc..." WOW, scares the crap out of me to think a potential purchaser might make a decision based on this is scary. To the guy who shot the wolf with the .204, he's GAY and shouldn't be allowed to hunt!! Just kidding (personal joke, please don't hit the alarm buttons, lock it down etc, IT WAS A JOKE, OK???!!!) People, please do some intelligent research, I know the OP asked an innocent question, but holy cow, this one took off straight vertical toward Pluto. Feel free to slam away, I'm teflon coated by Black Ice Coatings so nothing will stick! Take a breath everyone...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Stanly... I agree with you on the 22 LR... but I "HAVE" done my research... I have read just about anything the internet had to offer on guns, ammo, and have talked to several people. I did say that I will give my input when I shot something with it. so I hope you are not meaning ALL people.. I have only been here for a couple years but I promise I have been hunting for MANY years and I know I could survive if stuff hit the fan... which would be nice to weed out the weak

A 22 long rifle will kill almost anything in Alaska if you place the shot right. I wouldn't want to test that theory on a charging grizz thow. That would most likely be suicide. I think the 223 would be the cool varmint gun to have and I want one of those there critters some day. It's gotta be one nasty little deal maker in my book.
    Of course, wouldn't want to do the charging grizz with that either..........lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Roger that, nothing personal directed at anyone specific. I knew my post would touch some nerves. What I meant was that these questions have been asked since I'm sure gun powder was invented. It's what makes it all interesting. LET ME STATE HERE, TO EACH HIS OWN. But when some of these questions come up and people start disceting calibers, like when someone says, blah, blah, blah about the 204 and then says well, if you shot 60gr bullets out of the 204 then it would do..., well that's not what the 204 was intended for. There are guys who seek world records with 2lb test catching 700lb fish, but for the most part they are experts or pretty well infomed and realize what they are doing. Someone is always looking to push the limit on both ends, my personal input to this is a .17 Beowulf, 9,000fps. There are lots of calibers out there, they're tools. If you ordered every back issue of Field & Stream, Petersons Hunting and a million other hunting magazines going back to 1930, you'd read 6,000 articles about which is better the 270 or 30-06. We're human beings (dumb by nature) so we keep reading it for 70 years, in the mean time, the "marketers, those evil capitalists" develop every concievable caliber in between and the debate rages on. Hey, I'm an old fart now, and it's just funny seeing stuff like this, like most things in this fast paced world, hey a guy on youtube did it, he's got 57 videos of him making 9,000 yard shots, so that's what I'm buyin...I just think it's funny cause I'm the old guy now I guess. This paticular post just seemed to really take off from one end to the other REALLY FAST and I though it was funny. Not slamming anybody (except the guy who shot the wolf with the 204, WINK, WINK, JOKE, JOKE). Why buy a 204 if you want to shoot 60gr bullets, some of the wind comments are just out there (youtube? don't know cause their just random comments with no stated experience). Heck, I know guys in Texas who shoot hogs with 458 Win Mags, SO, point being...there is none, that's what they like to shoot just to see the reaction of the hog. Again, go back and read the posts from the begining, slowly, take in the posts, maybe you'll see what I'm talking about, maybe you won't, it's ok, it doesn't matter. For you old timers, remember the one about the old bull and the young bulll standing on a hill top looking down at all the cows and the young one says, hey, how about we run down there and skreww one of those cows? and the old one says, how about we walk down and skreww all of em...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by rock2382 View Post
    I just got a Savage Edge .223.... I went to sight it in... and all I can say is wow... I normally don't buy cheaper guns... but in my opintion this isn't a cheap gun... it is a steal. I am taking it out in the field for the next two days... me and my buddy are going to hit it hard.. hope to have pics up on the weekend and let you know how it did on the hide.
    I have an edge in .22-250 that shoots waayyy better than me!

Accidental post.

Stanly,
    You are sort of acting as if people are arguing about who's caliber choice is best based on second hand information... Not the case here. Maybe you should go back & read the posts (as you suggest). At no point did anybody here make any absolute statement about what is the goodest of all guns. In my case, I brought up another potential choice (.22 LR). I brought it up to get some opinions on cartridge effectiveness, not to get opinions on what questions should or should not be asked. I also mentioned another possible option (.243 win) and added some actual anecdotal information. You respond as if we are children and you are here to correct us with (with a ruler ); thanks but no thanks friend. Some of us (including me) do not have tons of predator hunting experience... you'll have to forgive that or move on. I do however have a good unserstanding of internal, external and terminal ballistics, plus over 20 years at the reloading bench and hunting edible game. Please offer your personal experience with cartridges on furbearers... That would be more helpfull than sniping at us from behind your keyboard. I will not continue to belabor the point, nuff said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast