Thread: Storage containers

Default Storage containers

Does anyone use the Rubbermaid Action Packers to put 'stuff' in to carry on their sleds? I am looking for something get carry 'stuff' in and the 24 QT size is about the right size to fit my rack. I am concerned that they may not hold up to the cool temps and bouncing around.
    What says the forum?

Hauled Action Packers from Deshka to McGrath during Iditarod last year and they held up just fine.

I have used an 8 gallon on my front rack of my ATV for years. Make sure it is tied down good and they work great. The stuff inside will bounce around a bit, I don't put anything breakable in it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Chappy View Post
    I have used an 8 gallon on my front rack of my ATV for years. Make sure it is tied down good and they work great. The stuff inside will bounce around a bit, I don't put anything breakable in it.
    i agree.. though i would love to find something better... a packer needs to be packed FULL and padded to keep stuffs from rattling apart.. the lids are not as water tight as i would like them especially after some abuse the latches tend to wear out in their ability to keep a lid on... i burn through 2-3 a year anymore during the summer months.. i start each season with 4-6 small ones and always have to replace a few ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There is several places that you can get a heavy containers that will latch shut, Sportsman Wharehouse, AIH, Lowes,Home Depo. Then get dense foam and cut into many different sizes and like Ak Chappy said must be packed tight.

Attachment 43662Heres the type i use,18 gal rubber maid tote
    Hope picture stays?

tub2010 002 (Small).jpg try picture again?tried manage attachments thing, Hope this will work haven,t mastered it since they changed the form around.

Thank you for all of the replies. I have enough room in my rack for one of the 24 QT rubbermaid action packers and a 5 gal fuel jug. I was concerned how they would hold up. Guess that I will also get some 'extra packing to keep 'stuff' from bouncing around.
    Now just need some more snow.

I have a 07 bearcat and I had an aluminum box built for the rear end. It is the best thing I have ever done for the sled. I will see if I am smart enough to get some pics on here later. I took off the 2up seat and had to modify the rack a bit but it works great.

I use the action packers your talking about. I use them in my crossfox sled and put them sideways and they work really nice. i haven't seen the cold effect them and i tighten the hell out of them with ratchet straps and nothing has broken yet. prob the best lightweight non- permenant storage you could use.

They seem to hold up ok on the trips I have done with them. My only issue with them is that the lid is definitely not water tight. It also does not do the best at keeping powder snow out if you are hauling it in a sled behind your snow-go.

Attachment 43724 Attachment 43723 So here is the box that I had my buddy build for me. I know that it is larger than most people would want it. I can fit 4 square buckets in it and still have room for other stuff. I also have rubber seal on the inside of the lid to keep snow dust out and everything stays dry. Even though it is large I always seem to fill it up and have stuff strapped to the top. I always have a huge load of supplies to get to the cabin it seems. I know that it is more expensive than a tote but I won't ever break it. Anyways this is what I use and I love it.

They will hold up to a lot of cold and bouncing around. I love the things. I use a bungee cord across the top to keep the latches shut.
    I have one ratchet-strapped to the rack on my sled, and don't leave home without it.
    Hopefully they don't get discontinued like the good old-school red plastic gas cans did.