Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Model 700 classic stock

  1. #1

    Default Model 700 classic stock

    I have a model 700 remington classic stock that originally was a 270. This stock has real pretty wood. I was wondering what other action would fit into this stock. I assume any model 700 action with a floor plate and 30-06 action would work but is there anything else?

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    I have a model 700 remington classic stock that originally was a 270. This stock has real pretty wood. I was wondering what other action would fit into this stock. I assume any model 700 action with a floor plate and 30-06 action would work but is there anything else?
    The Classic is a great stock. Your stock will fit any Long Action 700 ('06 or magnum cartridges) and the barrel channel will hold either the mountain rifle contour barrel or standard barrel without modification. You could inlet the barrel channel for a magnum contour (7mm RM, 300 WM, 338 WM etc.) with a minimal amount of work. As you surmised the bottom metal inlet is designed for their hinged floor plate.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for the infor. I bought this rifle from an individual for little of nothing. The 2x7 redfieild scope was worth what I paid for it. It did not have a bolt and I think what happened is that a 7x57 round was fired in it by mistake. I wonder if the barrel was ruined. That is why I figure it would be better just to find another cheap 700 and use the classic stock. A gunsmith told me that to buy another bolt remington would have to head space it and then maybe my barrel would no longer be accurate or worse ruined. So if that is the case I could spend more than just buying a used rifle. Anybody have any other ideas. I really do like this stock.

  4. #4
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lwaters View Post
    Thanks for the infor. I bought this rifle from an individual for little of nothing. The 2x7 redfieild scope was worth what I paid for it. It did not have a bolt and I think what happened is that a 7x57 round was fired in it by mistake. I wonder if the barrel was ruined. That is why I figure it would be better just to find another cheap 700 and use the classic stock. A gunsmith told me that to buy another bolt remington would have to head space it and then maybe my barrel would no longer be accurate or worse ruined. So if that is the case I could spend more than just buying a used rifle. Anybody have any other ideas. I really do like this stock.
    There are other means to get a replacement bolt. Aftermarket companies can provide them; PT&G jumps to mind. Rebarreling is not at all a bad option, but you could have the headspace of the present barrel checked and corrected if needed with a substitute bolt--it is not necessary to send the rifle to Remington to have this done. If you decide to rebarrel, you can get a top-shelf barrel chambered by a good gunsmith for about the same as a used 700 in excellent condition. IMO you should have a qualified gunsmith ascertain whether the action has been damaged in anyway before this work begins, but I wouldn't throw the barreled action away without verifying it's damaged /destroyed first.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  5. #5
    Member gunbugs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    If you are around Fairbanks I could unscrew the barrel for you and let you know what you have. Plenty of ways to "skin this cat" without throwing the action away. Fairly unlikely the receiver is damaged.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    If you are around Fairbanks I could unscrew the barrel for you and let you know what you have. Plenty of ways to "skin this cat" without throwing the action away. Fairly unlikely the receiver is damaged.
    Thanks guys for the info. It looks like if I find the right gun smith I may salvage the receiver and maybe the barrel and I do wish I was around Fairbanks but I am in Kansas. Some of the Army guys here at Ft Riley have been stationed in Alaska and are complaing about the cold weather here.

  7. #7

    Default

    I finally got this rifle to a gunsmith and he recommended I sent it to remington and have it checked out. He felt a remington bolt would be better than an after market bolt. He said if the barrel is hurt he could rebarrel the rifle for me. I feel that is the barrel is okay I will just leave it a 270 but if I need a new barrel what do you guys think about a 376 Steyr. I have not talk to the gun smith about this but I do know he has rebarrel a rifle to the 376 Steyr for another customer. I think the stock will handle this caliber if I have him steel bed it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •