Thread: Foreman tires......TOO many choices!!

Default Foreman tires......TOO many choices!!

Hello all,

I recently won, yes WON, my first wheeler...a new 09 Honda foremen 500. Stoked to say the least! Now I need to upgrade the stock tires to something more 'Alaska friendly'. I've read through the archives here and am still very unsure which tires/wheels/sizes to go with. I mostly ride the trails within reach of Fairbanks so hard, soft, flat, hilly, rocky, gravel, slow, fast and mud mud mud all come into play. I'm leaning toward keeping the stock rims and mounting ITP mudlite XL's in stock sizes figuring I can't go wrong that way. I'm hoping someone has better advice for me than I get out of the search tool here. Should I jump to a 26 or 27 inch? Or maybe wider than stock? I haven't a clue and the multitude of choices out there have me boggled..... Your input is much appreciated.

-Akiceman25

I don't know about your particular wheeler but I have never had a problem going plus 1" in pretty much every dimension on tires. If I start w/ 25x8 fronts then 26x9s usually do it well. I would go with at least 11" wide tires on the back but generally try to avoid going so wide that it throws mud all over me unless I am ready to invest in fender flares as well. All of my wheelers have 12" wide rear tires.

I also lean toward a tire that is more mud oriented. Sure they may ride slightly rougher on hard pack but I don't get stuck and spend hours trying to get through hard pack regardless of what tires I use, that happens in MUD! I would rather have a little more vibration at speed running the packed stuf and then blow through the mud holes no problem, than have a smooth ride on the packed and have to push/pull/rock/winch through every bog.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

first to going to a taller tire.

my Foreman has a significant power loss to the 27 inch tire on it.. though it does well.. i still has to spin a larger tire..

the 589 ITP is prolly one of the best all around tires you can put on. it does well in the wetter trails and mud and is still manageable on the hard trails and gravel hills .. it wears well, i have 3 bikes with them and have over 4000 miles on one set alone of varying trail conditions..

a larger tire is also some hindrance when the trails are dry and rutted, unless you have power steering on your model it becomes more work to maintain the trail as your working outside of the previous ATV's tracks.. i don't recommend a WIDER tire as it causes more torque on the axles.. and have seen broken CV axles on the front of every major brand due to STICKY deep mud bogs..

you will need to take a good solid look at the country you will be riding and make the final determination on your own.. and consider that larger is not always better, and can in fact increase wear and tear on your equipment.. if your well suited for extra maintenance cost on your toys as some are, in $$ as well the ability to do their own maintenence... then a less conservative approach can be taken.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default ITP mudlites, yes

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I'm leaning toward keeping the stock rims and mounting ITP mudlite XL's in stock sizes
    Perfect plan - you won't be sorry.

If you had more motor, some of that other stuff might (or still might not) be a great idea. You'll go great with the setup you're leaning toward.

Check out this site motorsport.com and Kenda brand tires they are comparable to ITP and from what I had found cheaper they also have great shipping prices. Good luck

I'd stay with the stock if you are running trails, I do just fine with mine,(2010 rancher) just bought a hand winch that hooks into the front bars, or take it off and hook it onto the back bars,( made for the whellers ) The stock tires don't tear up the trail like the mud grabbers do.

I didint have a winch installed on mine, this little come-along will do me just fine.

Theres to many people complaining about there batterys going dead, so I thought of doing the portable winch with a aux bat., but I like my setup, 1 ratchet up, 1 relase down. With stock tires I can push 8" of snow at a whole 4 mph without spinning the wheels.

The BIG TIRES do get you to more places, but they leave a trail that a person in stock tires cant go. my 2 cents

Appreciate all the input fellas!

Rock skipper...Mine came with a winch already installed that I put to great use this year, leading me to the decision that I need a bit more aggressive tire. Could be inexperience I suppose.

Moosehead... I like the price of the kenda bearclaws. Something is telling me "ya get what ya pay for". But.... I could afford rims also with that price!

The lugs on the mudlite make me think they'd wear down a bit quicker than the 589s so I'm thinkin I'll go stock size ITP 589 or maybe even mudlite XTR's. They both look impressive.

Can't wait til summer!!!

-Akiceman25

I love the 26" XTR's on my 550 Grizzly W/EPS. The wide radial foot print with deep grooved lugs provide great traction, especially when plowing snow. Don't wait for summer to use your ATV, winter is great fun!

I have ITP Mud Lites on my 02 Foreman. I went with 1" taller than stock and have had zero issues. I also was thinking about the 589's but they are quite a bit heavier than the Mud Lites. If I had more motor that would probably be my choice. Just my .02
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I have 26" Mudlite XTR's on my '08 Foreman, mounted on alum. ITP rims. So far I am very happy with em. Great on all types of trails and also for plowing snow. Noticed a slight loss of power by stepping up to 26" and they are wider and fling mud outside the oe fenders

I have 26" Maxxis Mudbugs on my Rancher 350, turns them fine. Great tires, long lasting, and really grabs in the nasty stuff. Gives my winch a break, unless I get too confident.

Decided I'd go with these.... http://www.motosport.com/atv/product...012/?id=118051

Great price from this site it seems. Shipping was $65 to Fairbanks.

Thanks for all the input everybody!

-akiceman25

A little input on motosport.com... Four ITP mud lite's $353.00 plus $64 shipping... Took 6 days to receive them! Very satisfied!

-akiceman25

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

now lets see em mounted up!

Finally got around to mounting them up. My initial thoughts, very rough ride on icy pavement but somewhere around 1000% better traction in knee deep snow vs stock tires.

Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their input.

Oh and I have some stock tires for sale cheap if anyone is interested. :-)

-akiceman25

Dang it, tapatalk won't let me upload the pics.... Err...
    Try again... 143/mu/42e65479-1290-7149.jpg[/IMG]

-akiceman25
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good! That should definitely get you where you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Oh and I have some stock tires for sale cheap if anyone is interested. :-)
    -akiceman25
    If you find anyone interested in more than you have, post it up here. I've got at least four like-new stock tires under a blue tarp; I won't even put them on the kid's ATV.