Thread: Gotta love power tools

Default Gotta love power tools

Just opened my new RCBS Chargemaster combo, RCBS Power Trim and RCBS Case Prep Center. I've had them for months and decided it was time to take them out of the boxes and do some loading for my new 20 Practical and 50 Bewoulf. Man are they nice! I've been reloading for 30 years and have had the same set up pretty much. Lyman T-Mag press, RCBS 10-10 scale, RCBS Powder thrower and trickler, Lyman manual case trimmer. Has been a great set up but decided I wanted to get some new stuff. Wow, the time the saved working up loads is nice. Just punch in the number you want and it throws and weighs the charge for you. I'm sure it's been covered on here before, but just wanted to share. Nice units if anyone is sitting the fence...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Stanly, next time you just happen to be sitting on some nice loading equipment like that, I'd gladly volunteer to get them broke in for you, and I wouldn't even charge you for the service!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I've had the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 since 2009 but didn't really get to use it until this year due to a recent deployment. I've used it alot in the past month or so. After this Christmas, I bought a trim mate case prep center as well because I was tired of hand cleaning primer pockets. MAN, that thing is a real time/ wrist saver. I can clean 100 primer pockets in about 25 minutes or so. So now, I load more and I really need to slow down because I'm driving through Canada this spring and don't wanna go over limit.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

A few I've talked to say that the chargemasters and other electronic throwers and scales are slower if you are loading a fair amount in one setting. Any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    A few I've talked to say that the chargemasters and other electronic throwers and scales are slower if you are loading a fair amount in one setting. Any truth to that?
    I just picked up the Hornady Lock and Load auto charge powder scale, I'm very pleased with it's performance. To speed things up a bit I use a dipper and toss about 75% of the charge in the pan and hit the dispense button. It comes up to the selected charge then slows to a trickle then stops at the selected charge and beeps when finished. I have a back up scale calibrated withthe same weights sitting next to it. Once it beeps I move the pan to the other scale and confirm the charge then fill the case. They work well together and typically agree each and every time. My ES numbers have improved using the two scales as a system of confirmation.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=818489

Last year my wife bought the Lock and Load case prep center for me as a gift. It's quiet disappointing as a case trimmer but very effective with attachments for all other case prep items such as primer pocket uniforming, flash hole de-burring, inside and outside neck de-burring, power use of a neck brush etc. Other brands of manual tools screw into the accessory drives and become power tools. I would not recommend this product as it's to expensive for what it offers. Overall trim lengths are not repeatable.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=314017

I think the RCBS system is more cost effective. It's basically the same thing without the trim unit that sucks anyway.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=565099

I do like the Hornady cam lock case trimmer. This system is very EZ to use and provides repeatable trimming to less than .001"
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=315831

Been looking into this as well. Found this post as well as this one. They test the three most "common" power scale/dispenser systems out there. If you set up a process that lets you do another task while the machine spits out a measure of powder it will speed up your loading. It looks like the RCBS is pretty easy to clean as well.

I have always disliked the powder dispensing part of reloading, so I am thinking about one of the RCBS units. With the unit heater in my small garage it gets pretty windy in the winter when I am trying to stay warm.

I guess it depends what a fair amount is. I usually load 50 rounds at a time since that's how big my block is. I have the chargemaster set so that I pour the powder in the case, place the pan back on the scale, it automatically dispenses another charge as I'm moving the funnel to the next case. It's fast enough for me. Anything faster and I'm afraid I'd miss something or the whole process becomes less fun. That "Man cave" I have is one of my "happy places".

Good points, Wade. I also agree that for load development it would really speed things up. Being that a throw/scale are all that I need, maybe I should just go this route in the beginning....

hunt ak, if I were "in the beginning," choosing what route to go,
    I would definitely go with the electronic scale and might as well do the auto dispenser as well.

If I had it back I would buy each item individually as opposed to a kit (press, manual scale, powder measure, tools, etc.)
    I have all that manual stuff cause it came with the kit. Seemed like a good way to start
    until just a while into it I am really wishing I had a digital scale, kinda don't like the manual powder dispenser, have already bought the Chamfer/deburr tools seperate, ones that work better than the kit ones did,

but don't want to throw a bunch more money into all that so....
    I punch it all out manually vs. imagining I could sell the manual stuff and replace with electronics
    Trying to keep my overall investment in reality zone for a while anyway

Oh Well,..... PM me if you are wondering what that all meant. I think it is really the way to go for "starting out"
    Tho it sounds like you may already be doing this ??

I'd recommend buy your Press, then go with the auto dispenser/scale, get your tools seperate as to the advice of others on these forums
    So you avoid ending up where I am at, hesitating to upgrade stuff I already have,
    though I wish I had the "best dialed in," stuff.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

When I first bought my press (Rock Chucker Supreme), it came as a kit as well. I don't remember what exactly came in the kit but I did buy a few extra things like lube, calipers and a powder trickler. I have NEVER used the trickler. I think it came with the manual scales and I just can't see myself going back to them unless the chargemaster broke or something. I would recommend it or any electronic dispenser over manual. With the electric scales, I can store up to 100 loads I think it is. I think I have 8 stored but I'm working on it. As far as presses, I've been throwing the idea around of upgrading to a progressive. Like kodiakrain, I hate the thought of upgrading that one and I don't think I ever will. I do 50 rounds at a time; I've never done more than 100 at a sitting. I love my Rock Chucker. I love my Rock Chucker. I love my Rock Chucker. ( that's a wink AKsoldier)

Natchez Shooters Supply has the RCBS combo scale/dispenser on sale, and there is a $50 RCBS mail in rebate if you buy over $300 worth of RCBS stuff.

I haven't reloaded for years now, since I am working in Japan and my guns and loading stuff are all locked away in the lower 48, so I am twice removed from AK. However, your rig sounds great for "regular" size cartridges. In my case, when I scored an older double express rifle, I had to buy a bigger press, also an RCBS. Since loading seemed critical for that rifle, I trickled and did all the other steps the slower way.

For pistol and conventional rifle ammo, I'd certainly look for ways to speed up the process, though. Nice.

Norm