Thread: Low End .223

Default Low End .223

I am a poor college student and for christmas my pops has agreed to spend about 300 bucks on a rife for my coyote hunting in North Dakota. I already have nice optics so thats no longer an issue. I was just wondering if the stevens model 200 or the cheap marlins or remingtons would be worth while buying in alaska. I have a feeling I will be much better off buying used. Any pointers are welcome

Before you make your choice check out the comments on Stevens and Marlins online. You can get comments and reviews from most major suppliers, worth the effort. Both are maybe butt ugly but they are shooters! Glass is important, so if you already got that yes you can have a tack driver for $300.00. They may not be jewel smooth but if you scratch it, you do not worry quite as much as if it were a Sako!...Desertdog

I had a dandy rifle stolen out of my truck a few years ago and replaced it with a Stevens 200 in 223. I bought this one equiped with a cheap Simmons scope used for $249 dollars.

I have had my share of high dollar varmint rifles with good scopes on them but the little Steven's will shoot as good as the best of the best. I usually hunt with my 243 but hate to leave it in the truck. We have FM radios in our trucks and leave them turned on all winter. It is not uncommon to be about my dailey business and get a shout on the radio from one of the boys who has a coyote spotted and needs a little assistance. I have killed a half dozen coyotes in such situations with the Stevens.

One of my son's college buddies got married fresh out of college with a bunch of debt. He imediately moved to Texas and was promptly invited to hunt some Texas whitetails. I stuck and old Weaver 4x scope on a Stevens 200 in 30-06 and got it to him and told him to pay me when he could. The last I knew he had killed about a dozen whitetails with that gun and loves it. That was 5 years ago and he has since aquired a very good paying job and has paid me back. He could probably buy any rifle he wanted now but you couldn't pry that Stevens away from him.

The Marlin XS7s are nice guns but aren't offered in 223. One in 243 would be a great gun for anything in N Dakota. I"d stay clear of the cheap Remingtons though.

Savage Edge- better than Stevens. On sale at Freddy's and elsewhere for under $300. Accurate right outa the box.
    Great action, floated barrel, magazine. Light. Scope is minimal, but upgradeable for that price. Beat it up. give it away, and get a better rifle when the pocket book allows. Oh, and look for a blemish on the rifle and ask for a discount. That got mine down to $279.
    http://biggamehunt.net/reviews/savage-edge-rifle-review

I have a Marlin XS7 in .243 that I could not be happier with. I walked out of Sportsman's with $282 less in my wallet. I put one of the new Redfields on it and my first three handloads went into a group of 0.48" at 100 yards. i believe they offer it in .223 as well. Can't go wrong with a Marlin in my own opinion. My only complaint is the lack of a box magazine, but with sub-half MOA accuracy in a package costing less than $500, I can live with that.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I have a Marlin XS7 in .243 that I could not be happier with. I walked out of Sportsman's with $282 less in my wallet. I put one of the new Redfields on it and my first three handloads went into a group of 0.48" at 100 yards. i believe they offer it in .223 as well. Can't go wrong with a Marlin in my own opinion. My only complaint is the lack of a box magazine, but with sub-half MOA accuracy in a package costing less than $500, I can live with that.
    The XS7s are only offered in 243, 7mm-08 and 308. I think they are missing the boat by leaving the 223 out. Maybe it's not cost effective from their point ov view....different bolt face, magazine well etc.

Sayak probably gave the right answer with the Savage Edge....my brain just didn't go there...

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    The XS7s are only offered in 243, 7mm-08 and 308. I think they are missing the boat by leaving the 223 out. Maybe it's not cost effective from their point ov view....different bolt face, magazine well etc.

Sayak probably gave the right answer with the Savage Edge....my brain just didn't go there...
    My mistake then, thanks for the correction EKC. I didn't have time to do the proper research when I posted my response. I've read nothing but good about the Savage though as well. I've never owner one, but maybe it's time I do.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I bought the Savage edge today at sportsmans warehouse in Anchorage! Seems like a much better rifle than the stevens 200. I am glad I held out this long to get it. Its wearing a 4-12x40 high end bushnell scope. I am going to see if I can try to call in a lynx tomorow after sighting it in. Thanks for the help fellas! By the way they are on sale at sportsmans for 230.00 for the black and synthetic one i got.

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    I bought the Savage edge today at sportsmans warehouse in Anchorage! Seems like a much better rifle than the stevens 200. I am glad I held out this long to get it. Its wearing a 4-12x40 high end bushnell scope. I am going to see if I can try to call in a lynx tomorow after sighting it in. Thanks for the help fellas! By the way they are on sale at sportsmans for 230.00 for the black and synthetic one i got.
    Congrats on acquiring a fine rifle! Keep it oiled well, and you won't have to worry about rust. I prefer the look of blued rifles myself. For the money, I might have to pick one up myself! (If I can use enough self-control to stop spending money on reloading components, that is...)

Good choice. I've bought two, a .223, and a .270, and I like 'em. I've done some rattle can camo on them. As I mentioned in another thread, it's cheap and can be changed with minimal effort. As good as Duracoat? Course not! But I would hate to spend a lot of money on a cheap rifle and then want to change it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Good choice. I've bought two, a .223, and a .270, and I like 'em. I've done some rattle can camo on them. As I mentioned in another thread, it's cheap and can be changed with minimal effort. As good as Duracoat? Course not! But I would hate to spend a lot of money on a cheap rifle and then want to change it sometime.
    Sayak, you'd have fooled me if you had told me you used an airbrush. Nice looking rifles for an aerosol job. I'm impressed!

Bowhunter...Congrats! You may not be sitting at the bench with a Cadilac, but chances are you are going to make the guy next to you want a VW to! All the Savage rifles I have have proven to be good investments. Sure I always wanted pretty rifles and have a few, but it's usually a Savage that puts meat on the table. Take your rifle, put it on the ground, spin it 3 times then step on it and pour a handful of gravel down the barrel, blow it clear and shoot moa. They are real rifles for the real world.....Desertdog

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Sayak, you'd have fooled me if you had told me you used an airbrush. Nice looking rifles for an aerosol job. I'm impressed!

Exactly what I was thinking. Nice job!

I was at Thiesen'a Farm and home store today and they had a Savage Edge in stock. It was the first time I have got to examine one first hand and will concure with Sayak. They are for sure a step up from the Stevens 200.

As far as the Marlins "X" series goes....I would put them on par with a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa. The big diference being that they are made on this side of the pond!

Sayak: I drug my Stevens out from behind the seat and gave it a snow camo job. It's white but doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours. I'm gonna do it again but will practice on a 2x4 first this time

I bought my brother a Savage Edge in .243 for Christmas. We took it to the range and he was shooting MOA groups from the bench right away. It is definatley a lot fo rifle for the money.