Thread: Need to lift an ATV into my boat.

Default Need to lift an ATV into my boat.

I have a 20' wooldrigde boat that I am trying to come up with a way to get an ATV into the back. I have been considering a Spitz Manual Lift, but someone suggested for that price I could get a gas powered pot puller that would be able to do it and be more versatile. What do you think? Anyone doing this already?

AkHilux
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

If you use a pot puller the davit will have to be strong and tall, I made one out of 3" Aluminum pipe to lift my ridged hull inflatable and it was a little weak, I put flatbar gussets on the bend but it still moves a lot, and the RHI is only about 200 lbs. Your atv will weigh a lot more. Can you drive it on and off ramps? Make a ramp to keep it above the gunnels, Aluminum ramps are light, Drive it over the side not the stern. I used to take an ATV to Tuxican Island from POW in a 18' skiff, just drove it over the side, on 2x6, onto a coupe across the gunnels, strapped it down and took off, it worked great. Good luck

I saw a Wholly at the lake with just what Gerberman said. Run 2 2X10s across behind the canvass. Then get ramps to ride over the sides. Personally, I bought an old 14 foot V-hull and haul freight in it. Lot better than trashing my boat.

If you see your boat, but a 17.5 Alaskan, it is probably me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I know that putting ramps across the back would be the cheaper option, but I am thinking about making it as dual purpose as possible. I am already considering a pot puller and if I can upgrade to one that can lift the quad as well, all the better. One of the pot pullers with a 4 horse Honda on it claims max weight of 550 lbs. If this is true then it should easily lift the wheeler that I have. Just wondering if anyone else is already doing this.

I just wonder how you are going to be able to lift 550 lbs from outside the boat and swing it on board. Do you plan on doing that with the boat floating? I am also curious how you plan on constructing the mounting point to handle that weight.

LuJon
    I plan on lifting 550 lbs. by a lift or pot puller (my fourwheeler is much less than that, I wrote that is what the pot puller/davit advertises as its max operating weight).

I will be welding appropriate brackets and support structure.

Normally I would be loading my four wheeler with the boat pulled up next to shore, but you never know. I have had 4 guys all standing on the same side of the boat without any ill effects.

I am assuming from your post that you think this is a great idea and now you want one TOO.

Default Lift

The pic of my lift is in my winter mod thread. Here is what I did. The lower bracket is welded in to the bottom of the boat between the stringers. I used a 6" deck plate to cover it. The upper is bolted through the gunnel for easy removal. I used 4" schedule 40 pipe and 5" channel for the lift. Karold here fairbanks has built a few of these and thought it should be able to lift 1000lb. I made my bushings out of UHMW.

upper bracket.jpglower bracket.jpg

Default bushing drawing

I can take some more pics if you like but I wont be home untill Thursday
    upper & lower.jpg

my .02. Run the 4 wheeler up on the 2 x 6's, then when centered over the boat, lift the 4 wheeler straight up with the pot puller. Then pull your 2X's out. Then let her straight down. Of course you'll have to spin it 90d.
    If you have to swing the 4 wheeler over the side of the boat by hand, that can be hard to do. When you lift the 4 wheeler up it's going to tip the boat somewhat, then you have to push the 4 wheeler uphill. Even if you pull the boat up sideways to shore, it'll still tip (depending on your dead rise). Not too bad for 2 people, but just me I had trouble. 1st thing it'll do is swing away from the boat, of course that makes it tip even more.
    I did this in a 17.5 Wooldridge Alaskan. Yours would be wider and might work better.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Forgot to say. I ended up using an A-frame setup. I had cleats welded at the rear corners of the boat. I ran guy lines from the cleats to my removable A-frame ( 2 uprights ). I used a hand come-along to lift up the 4 wheeler.
    I've since sold the boat, sorry I don't have any pictures.

Here is the mount for my Spitz lift. The lift itself is rated for 900 lbs. This bear was around 400 or so and it had no flex what so ever, carried it like that for about 3 miles.

I secured the mount the the floor, side and splash well.

The spitz lift can be used for a variety of applications.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Travelers: Did you run the 2x6's across the top of the rails on your wooly?

Stid,

Thanks for the great photos! The Spitz crane is most likely the way that I will go, but just entertaining the idea of using a pot puller to do the same. Like you I find myself one weekend on PWS, and the next running the Twenty Mile. So making the most out of what I have is the goal.

For those who have questioned why not just use ramps, ramps are feasible when the boat is on the river but I will also be loading while on the trailer, so those ramps would be pretty long. At this time my best tow rig is NOT a pickup, so I don't have a bed to haul it in.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Travelers: Did you run the 2x6's across the top of the rails on your wooly?
    I did, but I had bracing added to the top rails. I had brackets on the 2x's to hold them in place. Also welded "eyes" below the rails to hold the uprights.

stid2677, nice setup. Is your boat setting on the bottom in that photo? My Alaskan would tip big time if not setting on the bottom. Nice bear!

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I did, but I had bracing added to the top rails. I had brackets on the 2x's to hold them in place. Also welded "eyes" below the rails to hold the uprights.

stid2677, nice setup. Is your boat setting on the bottom in that photo? My Alaskan would tip big time if not setting on the bottom. Nice bear!
    No my boat was floating, it is wide and really stable. Did not tip much at all.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

the pot puller is rated for 500lbs, is that ft/bs of pulling power or dead weight lifting. most wont lift rated weight. you might want to check it out.....another option if your set on the puller stlye is getting a capstian stlye mounted on a honda....just something to think about

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    the pot puller is rated for 500lbs, is that ft/bs of pulling power or dead weight lifting. most wont lift rated weight. you might want to check it out.....another option if your set on the puller stlye is getting a capstian stlye mounted on a honda....just something to think about
    According to the electra-dyne site, the pot pullers are rate for 300lbs. They do make a capston puller as well.

Once upon a time I had a rig I made from a engine lift with a hand pump hydralic cylinder that I mounted on the side of my F250 and it would lift whatever I wanted. I bought the engine lift at a garage sale and only used the verticle lift parts. I welded in a plate to the bottom of the bed to allow the box steel to sit into a hole and bolted one to the side of the bed and then used a 2x4 to brace to the other side of the bed while I was lifting. It would lift a full 55 gal barrel into the bed with little effort other than pumping the cylinder and I probably had $50 in the whole thing.

It looked a lot like the Spitz Lift but was steel and used the hydralic cylinder instead of the winch. It might be a bit heavy for boat use, but you could make one out of AL very easy using that design. I have used the same engine lift design to lift my Polaris 750 twin into the pickup when the trans died.

Just a thought.