Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New purpose built halibut rod and reel by Okuma

Default New purpose built halibut rod and reel by Okuma

Wanted to make sure the Alaska forum guys on here were the first to know about this.

I recently got the green light to tell you about a rod and reel set we have been working on for a couple of years with the folks at Okuma. I know know the Cedros jigging rods have been popular here in Alaksa because of the quality and the value. however there were some components and features that were less desirable for haliibut fishing.
    The managment at Okuma was more than happy to address some of my concerns and they have put together a very sweet stand up rod in the Cedros line specifically built to handle heavy sinkers, strong current and the general abuse that this tackle takes up here. I wanted to make sure the rods were light enough to make catching chickens fun, while having enough back bone to put the screws to a nice fish when you catch one. This new rod does all that, has super high quilaty components and has a price comparable to the Cedros jigging rod ( under 120 dollars). One of the big problems with stand up rods is that the ceremic tip top can get ruined by having the hardware reeled into. A roller tip top tends to get the spectra caught in it at the worst possible time. Okuma responded by using a hardened carboly tip top that will take the punishment. All in all, this is the best 120 dollar halibut rod you will ever find.
    The reel is the Okuma Cedros 10. A solid aluminum, lever drag reel desigend by the folks at Tiberon engineering in Southern California. Okuma is putting in a 4.5:1 gear kit in the reel for us in Alaska. This is the perfect speed for bait fishing and will make craking up much easier than the 6:1 that is standard in the reel elsewhere. Check their website, this reel is comparable to the high end lever drag reels comeing out of California

Everything is covered under Okuma's warrenty.

I have some crappy photos, there are much better ones in the Okuma 2011 catalog.

Happy Holidays
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's too bad they only offer the rod in one length because it's a nice looking rod. I have a LOT of clients that like shorter rods than 5'6".
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thats interesting because I thought it should be 6'. From the sound of it about 90% of the production stand up rods range from 5'6" to 6' 6". My boat just lends itself to being easier to fish with a 6' rod. Everyone is different. It is really a sweet rod and reel. I am hoping the production rods will be just as nice.

I take a lot of young, and female, anglers out with me and the majority of them are shorter than 5'6". I don't think I had a single "shorter" angler this summer that didn't appreciate the fact that I had rods on board that were suitable for their height and arm length.

I'm 6'2" and I would much rather use the 5' rods I have on board than any of the longer ones I own. And a lot of the clients I had this summer told me the same thing. I specifically asked them about the rod lengths because of an earlier thread this year regarding the same issue.

And I'm not sure what "about 90% of the production stand up rods range from 5'6" to 6'6"" has to do with it. Maybe the 10% that are smaller are there for a reason.

Yeah, everyone is different. That's why a statement like "my boat lends itself to being easier to fish with a 6' rod" doesn't address what I am saying. If Okuma wants to cater to more people than just your boat maybe they might want to consider people that prefer a shorter rod. Apparently Lamiglass is totally missing the boat because they offer their "Big Fish" rod in a 4'6" and a 5' model. Guess they don't know what they're doing.

I am not doubting it's a "sweet rod" but personally I think it would be "sweeter" if it was made in a length that a large number of my clients would be happy with. I guess maybe I just cater to the people that don't want to live with the "standard" in rod length.

Always intersting to hear what you have to say. I am not saying there may not be some merit in a short rod or that Lamiglass does not know what they are doing...But Lamiglass is a very small company that can make an unusual rod like that appeals to a small market. Larger rod makers like Shimano, Penn,Okuma Diawa, Shakespere, Seeker, Calstar, G.Loomis.... all make the vast majoirty of their stand up rods from 5'6" to 6'6". The reason that they do this is that most fishermen prefer them.
    I am glad you have stated your opinon and those that love to fish a shorter rod can always buy a lamiglass or whopper stopper. I am sure they both work well for the smaller halibut that you target.

The longer the rod the easier it is for the fish to pull on you-which is OK if you have the height & weight but not OK for someone who's vertically challenged.

EDIT-I used to sell Okuma and have nothing good to say about their products.

Thanks for the heads up AK Capt. The price seems right! 5'6" is about as short as I like to go.

I've had the worst of luck with some of the models of Okuma reels, but I'm always willing to give a company a 4th chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I take a lot of young, and female, anglers out with me and the majority of them are shorter than 5'6". I don't think I had a single "shorter" angler this summer that didn't appreciate the fact that I had rods on board that were suitable for their height and arm length.

I'm 6'2" and I would much rather use the 5' rods I have on board than any of the longer ones I own. And a lot of the clients I had this summer told me the same thing. I specifically asked them about the rod lengths because of an earlier thread this year regarding the same issue.

And I'm not sure what "about 90% of the production stand up rods range from 5'6" to 6'6"" has to do with it. Maybe the 10% that are smaller are there for a reason.

Yeah, everyone is different. That's why a statement like "my boat lends itself to being easier to fish with a 6' rod" doesn't address what I am saying. If Okuma wants to cater to more people than just your boat maybe they might want to consider people that prefer a shorter rod. Apparently Lamiglass is totally missing the boat because they offer their "Big Fish" rod in a 4'6" and a 5' model. Guess they don't know what they're doing.

I am not doubting it's a "sweet rod" but personally I think it would be "sweeter" if it was made in a length that a large number of my clients would be happy with. I guess maybe I just cater to the people that don't want to live with the "standard" in rod length.
    Happy holidays Muttley,

your kind words and insightful comments are always appreciated on this forum, well not usually.
    Boatless

Now I'm in a quandary, I had my mind made up to get the Lamiglass mooching rod for halibut. Oh and I personally like a longer rod as well

The reel paired with this new rod is almost $300 even with the discount I can get from Okuma. For the money I can get 2 Avets...

I have their speed jig rods on board my boat paired with some 2-speed Penn reels. They are fine for big people fishing halibut, but I needed to look for a rod/reel combo that would work better for little people. That's why I started the thread on "Jigging Reels".

I've decided on a Lamiglass Big Fish rod in 2 different shorter lengths, and the Daiwa SL-X20SHA.

Default try it if you want

I am just passing on the information for you, I don't sell um. I am more than happy to make one of the two prototypes I have a "loaner" rod and reel for you all to try out. As long as it doesn't take too much of my time. I will leave one in my office this summer and any of you in Seward are welcome to take it out a "torture test" it. Just rinse it off with fresh water and bring it back in a day or two. I will work something out with my office manager, like a check out sheet so we can call you are remind you to return it, if you forget.
    Happy Holidys

Andy I may have to take that thing for a day or two and try it out. I'm looking for two more jig set ups fort he boat.
    Boatless

AKCAPT, I feel your comments are always helpful and positive. I am not a guide, just a fisherman trying to learn from others. I guess that is why I read all of these comments.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys. I want a new reel and have my eye on a Penn International with 6.3:1 gears. Why do you favor a little less gear ratio? Even with a big fish, shouldn't the correct technique be to pump with the rod and not winch with the reel?

And how does the new Okuma rod compare with the Shimano Trevala?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    AKCAPT, I feel your comments are always helpful and positive. I am not a guide, just a fisherman trying to learn from others. I guess that is why I read all of these comments.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys. I want a new reel and have my eye on a Penn International with 6.3:1 gears. Why do you favor a little less gear ratio? Even with a big fish, shouldn't the correct technique be to pump with the rod and not winch with the reel?

And how does the new Okuma rod compare with the Shimano Trevala?
    I'm curious about the same thing. I think I've settled on an Avet reel but want to know what rod to mate it up with.

Thanks AKCapt for posting up the info and your offer to loan it out is more than generous. Any thoughts you have on gear is much appreciated give the amount and type of fishing you do.

Sweet set up AKCAPT, between the two posts , the other being (jigging reels) there was good info , on rod and reel set ups , it all comes down to personal prefrence !! Nice CLIFFHANGER , Im sure the kids will love them and bring one home ,thats way BIGGER then dads !!!
    I think MUTTLEY nailed it about the high speed reels (any of them) when it comes to pump and reel (kid or adult) you want to fight the fish ,not the reel !!! for me its avet and lamiglass

I couldn't agree more about Avets. And especially at their price point vs. the Okuma Cedros 10, or the Penn Internationals. I think if you're only planning on purchasing one, or a couple, of reels any of them might be a good way to go. But that Okuma is $400. Nice reel, but why pay $400 for a reel when you can get one, such as an Avet, for almost half the cost?

I'd love to outfit everyone that comes on my boat with a nice Okuma, or Penn Int., or an Avet, but, as I said, I think there are reels out there that cost a lot less that will get the job done for you just as well (such as the Penn reels I've mentioned before).

And I have absolutely no qualms with the Okuma Cedros jigging rods, either. So don't get me wrong. I have just found from over 300 clients this summer that the preference seems to be for the shorter rod. As I said, I personally use the Tica Alaskan 5' rod and find it to be far superior to any of the longer rods I have---for my own use and for other people, too.

Yes, it is a matter of personal preference, but I just wonder how many people that use a 5'6", or 6' rod for halibut have ever tried a 5' rod? And especially either the Tica Alaskan Big Games or one of the Lamiglass Big Water rods. Rods have different actions. A 5'6" Okuma can very well have a different action than a 5'6" Shakespeare stand-up rod, so even there it's hard to say if you like one you're going to like the other. How many people out there have ever tried the 5' Tica Alaskan Big Game rod? If you haven't tried it I'd say you can't really say a 5'6" Okuma is going to be better. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Getting back to the original topic of this thread, THANKS Akcapt for posting both this information as well as the offer to get a look at it in person before purchasing. That is a nice jesture, and could be a valuable trend. I think like so many things we all have to buy it first, and then are stuck with what we have so we rell everyone it is the greatest, without a good overall understanding of the products that are out there. I will try and look you up next summer to take you up on the offier. Hopefully the comments about what the best alternate really is will not discourage you from sharing like this in the future.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I have just found from over 300 clients this summer that the preference seems to be for the shorter rod.
    Good Gawd man! You guys are making a fortune! I"m about ready to offer a hundred grand for a charter permit before they surpass a Sitka sac roe permit in value, they're gonna be priceless! Heck I'd make the offer right here but I'm pretty sure we'd have to give Micheal Strahan a brokerage fee

Back to the topic , Hey AkCapt if you could post a link where I could score one of these gems I'd check into it thanks

Looks like a good rod setup. I have tried just about every rod I could find and the only ones that held up where the 130lb Bill Fishers. I tried Lam Glass from the Sportsmans Ware House 16 of them and 2/3 of them broke just below second eye let. Had 12 of the Penn International Stand up and all the front roller guides when bad. Had 8 Ugly sticks and 1994 the spider wire cut them up. Had 12 of the Diawa inter line poles front cermic guide would break and if they tighten the drag all the way down pole would snap in half. May just buy a couple to test them.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Looks like a good rod setup. I have tried just about every rod I could find and the only ones that held up where the 130lb Bill Fishers. I tried Lam Glass from the Sportsmans Ware House 16 of them and 2/3 of them broke just below second eye let. Had 12 of the Penn International Stand up and all the front roller guides when bad. Had 8 Ugly sticks and 1994 the spider wire cut them up. Had 12 of the Diawa inter line poles front cermic guide would break and if they tighten the drag all the way down pole would snap in half. May just buy a couple to test them.
    Which model Lamiglass rod? You should have all new ones because they warrant them for life.

And have you ever tried the Ticas. I torture tested them this summer and the only problem I had with them is one where the reel seat came unglued which was an easier fix than sending it back to them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast