Thread: help with ski doo, 550 fan, exp. sport, is back firing when cold...

Default help with ski doo, 550 fan, exp. sport, is back firing when cold...

Ok, I've treated the gas and changed spark plugs...i have 800 miles on my new sled...my old exp. sport 550 did not have problems runnign when cold...

here is what happens...i start off adn it sputters, (it's warmed up)....then as I accelerate, it wants to sputter, then it like bogs down, "blahhh, blahh", then as i give it more gas, it kicks in...i notice this when it gets below -20....

don't want to go on a long trip until i figure out what is up?

I called the dealer, asked about the porting jets, he said they should be fine for the extreme cold weather....

BUT this is an awesome machine with teh 154 long track, 16 in wide x 1.5 lugs! It weighs 515 adn floats like a butterfly!....
    Scotty in the AK bush

throttle position sensor? Try checking that.Low voltage to it, or just plain sticking

Sounds like a lean bog to me, maybe try adjusting the fuel screws and see if this cleans it up, worked on my sled.

Quote Originally Posted by kenairmk View Post
    Sounds like a lean bog to me, maybe try adjusting the fuel screws and see if this cleans it up, worked on my sled.
    Sounds logical to me. Colder denser air leaning out the mixture. I would talk to the Skidoo dealer or hit up doo-talk they may be able to suggest a different jetting setup.

If it only does it in cold weather, still sounds like ice to me. Powersports Stuff at mile 50 has a display on their counter of what looks like a narrow sponge on a rope. It absorbs water and you just leave it in your tank. Another thing that you might check is to see if the choke cable is hanging up anywhere. A rich condition could be verified by checking plug color, too.