Thread: I want to buy bulk, but, span alaska looks expensive...

Default I want to buy bulk, but, span alaska looks expensive...

Ok, been looking at the economy, riots in Europe and California....all the hackers hitting the big 500 companies...and heard a man speak about the old school generations like my grandparents born in the late 1800's and my parents born in the depression....he was saying tthat like most families back then, they had enough cash saved up for months of payments, etc, in case they got laid off, hurt, etc and that they had some type of food saved up from pickling, butchering, or some way to survive off their own subsistence and it rang a bell...

my grandparents had a 1 acre garden they did on their own til they were in their 80's...had canned good, pickled goods, etc....and they saved money, even when they were poor!

The way "I'm sitting now, if something happened to the economy, gas shortages, etc, i would be screwed living here in teh bush....

So, I want to start buying bulk flour, sugar, etc but span alaska looks pretty expensive...i can get a barge into our village during the summer....sooo, was wondering where is the cheapest place to get 50 lbs of oats, sugar, flour, storage containers, etc...i'ave heard that the feed stores sell some of this pretty cheap, that is oats and flour...

by the time I add it all up, going into town and buying it myself and shipping USPS or the barge seems cheaper than having fred meyers bush mail it or span alaska doing it?....

I do my own dried moose, smoke fish, etc, but think I should can alot this year to avoid freezing incase of any power outages in teh village, gas shortages, etc....so, was going to do that, but, what is the largest cans you can get to can stuff? Figured I would use the largest and just open a can of fish/moose for teh week and freeze what I don't use but have these set back in case of an emergency....

so, all ideas, books, websites, stores, etc would be appreciated...or heck, just a good list of emergency stuff to have....i was thnking I should get a generator and keep a 55 gl drum of fresh gas around??? but how many volts/amps does a generator need to have to run the basic minimum in my house for alight and freezer, water pump maybe from time to time?
    Scotty in the AK bush

Try this site: http://www.survival-preps.com/index.php?

You may buy a drum of fresh gas, but it won't stay fresh. You will need to use it or add a Sta-bil type additive.

Add up the watts/amps. Data should be on the name plate. Starting load for a motor will be higher than run load, such as a freezer or water pump.

Good luck on the search.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by jssbastiat View Post
    Ok, been looking at the economy, riots in Europe and California....all the hackers hitting the big 500 companies...and heard a man speak about the old school generations like my grandparents born in the late 1800's and my parents born in the depression....he was saying tthat like most families back then, they had enough cash saved up for months of payments, etc, in case they got laid off, hurt, etc and that they had some type of food saved up from pickling, butchering, or some way to survive off their own subsistence and it rang a bell...

my grandparents had a 1 acre garden they did on their own til they were in their 80's...had canned good, pickled goods, etc....and they saved money, even when they were poor!

The way "I'm sitting now, if something happened to the economy, gas shortages, etc, i would be screwed living here in teh bush....

So, I want to start buying bulk flour, sugar, etc but span alaska looks pretty expensive...i can get a barge into our village during the summer....sooo, was wondering where is the cheapest place to get 50 lbs of oats, sugar, flour, storage containers, etc...i'ave heard that the feed stores sell some of this pretty cheap, that is oats and flour...

by the time I add it all up, going into town and buying it myself and shipping USPS or the barge seems cheaper than having fred meyers bush mail it or span alaska doing it?....

I do my own dried moose, smoke fish, etc, but think I should can alot this year to avoid freezing incase of any power outages in teh village, gas shortages, etc....so, was going to do that, but, what is the largest cans you can get to can stuff? Figured I would use the largest and just open a can of fish/moose for teh week and freeze what I don't use but have these set back in case of an emergency....

so, all ideas, books, websites, stores, etc would be appreciated...or heck, just a good list of emergency stuff to have....i was thnking I should get a generator and keep a 55 gl drum of fresh gas around??? but how many volts/amps does a generator need to have to run the basic minimum in my house for alight and freezer, water pump maybe from time to time?

I took care of a remote fishing lodge during the winters for 8 years, it had 24 hr. electricity but it would go out quite often during the cold winter. I had a friend of mine run a wire from the electric box to the outside with a 3 prong plug. I used a 3500 watt generator which you can buy at Schucks for about $400 or look on Craigslist. I ran:

2-small freezers
    1-fridge
    TV
    Microwave
    lights
    2-monitors
    Basically it ran the whole cabin.
    JOHN

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

when your in town.. by bulk douple triple wrap in plastic bags and mail out parcel post.. thats how i used to move Village to village Including Golovin, when i did winterization.. for can goods i built some crates out of 1/4 ply wood and met the usps size standards and sent them parcel post.. might take 2-3 weeks to leave anchorage... but once it does.. PP goes on the same plane as express..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Look up the LDS religion, with you buying from the bishhop's storehouse and cannery, sometimes doing the canning yourself, for the best very-long-term storage of solid food that will get your family through hard times. They are first in the field, to my knowledge.

good ideas, thanks...looking at getting my aga garden going this spring, so, gotta get teh green house going too.....so this should help..
    Scotty in the AK bush

Give Natural Food Pantry a call, not sure what they do for bush orders. They have an outstanding selection of bulk grains and dried veggis by the pound or 50# sack and a great variety of #10 cans as well as grain mills food/water storage buckets ect.

As a former military serviceman, i was sent to many areas all over the world that could be called remote. Something i noticed from my travels is in times of economic stress or loss of infrastructure medical supplies seemed to be the most "valuable" thing commonly traded. I have met ppl that traded weeks worth of food for a single bottle of rubbing alcohol! My point? No matter how much food/fuel/ect you have, make sure you have enough in the way of med supplies also, they are easy to forget. Even if you have "too much" (which really can't happen), it can become very valuable and can be traded if needed. If stored properly (which is fairly easy) most will long outlast any food or fuel you try to store. Another thing to consider is some common supplies people just never thing of... a way to start fire. a refillable/reliable zippo (with extra flinks/wicks/fluid) or flint/steel type for backup can save ya, if food/fuel is hard to come by, so will matches and disposable type lighters. and don't forget ammo, i hate to say it, but if the fit hits the shan, you may need to defend your stuff.
    i hope this helped some, if you want more info, i am well trained on survival and scrounging. feel free to send a pm