Thread: Rain gear camo

Default Rain gear camo

I have a good layered system for staying warm, looking for camo pants and jacket that will act as rain gear yet be quiet and durable, quiet even when the rain is hitting it. Any suggestions and experiences.

I have had good performance from Cabelas MT 50 series raingear. works great as a wind block over fleece layers. Dead quiet in the rain and walking through the brush.

the Cabelas looks good I was looking at some of the other UltraLight rain gear and they are out of their minds $300 for a jacket! I better be able to make a tent out of it for that price. Anyway, I think the best approach would be the MT 50 and a seriously waterproof plastic type poncho so if you ran into sustained torrents the extra hassle of carrying a severe weather waterproof poncho would payoff.

I would like to know what animal you intend to hunt that you plan on getting so close to that it can hear the sound of rain on your coat. The reason I ask is when it raining, the sound of rain on the trees and on the animal itself will make the animal death to all sounds except the rain.

If you canít find a rain coat that is quiet, you could put a wool shirt over it for sound proofing.

excellent question Rutting Moose, I am asking here in the Alaska forum as you folks deal with a lot of rain and know whats up when it comes to rain gear. The animal I plan to hunt is high desert mule deer that have experienced a lot of hunting pressure and those suckers have a darned sixth sense. My plan is to arrow one of those suckers with a long bow close range, so forgive my stealth request for raingear info from you guys up North but the reality is you all are the experts on the rain gear.

Now I understand, I canít help you as far as telling you what is the most quiet rain gear. What I can do is tell you how to determine what is the best rain gear at least as far as noise is concerned.
    The problem is the mule deer have big ears and they are extremely sensitive to sounds so any sound that is made will alert the deer to danger. Take the rain gear and rub the material together in a very quiet room, try walking with your rain gear, pack etc and listen to all the noise you make. What you are hearing is 1000 times softer than what a deer hears.

The last time I played with rain gear I found that fleece over soft rain gear was the quietest; that was before I found out my hearing was not the best. I now have an amplifier that can hear two mice kissing at 100 feet and its was not pretty. You would be amazed how much noise you make.

good ideas will try thanks RM, yeah sound is a big problem sometimes, just gotta find solutions.