Thread: GPS in the cold??

Default GPS in the cold??

i have my boat in the shop this winter and i dont keep heat on all the time and i am wondering does the cold hurt my chartplotter just sitting not being used or should i pull it out and store it in the house thanks Trevor

extreme temps both high and low can damage lcd displays won't always but can,it's best to keep them protected when not in use.

I have never had a problem with the cold. My GPS system is built in so it stays in place year round. The only problem I ever had was with the antenna's going out. But that has been years ago.

Ive always left my electronics in the boat all winter. Never had a problem.........That doesnt really mean it might not be better to keep em cozy in the house though. Your call

Quote Originally Posted by rmk4x4 View Post
    i have my boat in the shop this winter and i dont keep heat on all the time and i am wondering does the cold hurt my chartplotter just sitting not being used or should i pull it out and store it in the house thanks Trevor
    I remember reading somewhere that the limit that an LCD display can take is around -40 before bad things happen.

I've been told by some manufacturers that their electronics can be left in the boat all winter. But then they tell me it might not be a bad idea to take it out. So I take mine out just in case.