Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a new 22ft boat--new hewescraft bs seaport????

Default Need a new 22ft boat--new hewescraft bs seaport????

Wife and I are going to buy a 22ft boat here sometime within the next week to 3 months. Going to use it out of Homer mostly, with occasional trips to Seward and Whittier. On the fence between a new sea runner deweys package or a used seaport sportsman 22'. Will be our first boat and it's just us, no kiddos yet, so sticking with the 22' size. Will use it mostly as a day craft, but will want to spend some nights on board--both hunting and fishing trips.

Wanted folks impression between the choices I have narrowed down. Aluminum or fiberglass. V-berth or no. With seaport now out of commision am somewhat concerned about resale and hewescraft seem to hold their value ok. I have a newer seaport 22' I am looking at and just trying to decide if I am leaning the right way when for a little more I can het a new hewescraft.

Any input is much appreciated.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

If your thinking of Hewscraft, spend the extra few bucks for the Ocean Pro. 12" wider which will give you a better ride and the sides are 2 inches higher which will make a big difference especially with kids. Don't get the basic seats, get the suspension seats for a better ride in choppy seas. Your wife will appreciate it, trust me! If you get the boat at Deweys, spend the extra few hundred and upgrade the windlass. I wish I had upgraded. Basic one is slow and slips, you need to assist it. Nice to have one that is hands free for the most part. Put the two boats side by side SR and OP and its a noticable difference. Also, the extended transom is a continuation of the hull to give you better floation giving you a ride close to a 24 foot boat. Put a 150 on there instead of a 115 and you will not regret it. I have no experience with the Seasport but most of their owners love their boats. I think SS is also out of bussiness. Deweys great to work with. I feel like home every time I walk in there. Their service department is awesome. I've had an issue this year with my door latch which was out of warranty. I was in seward. I called, my wife picked up the part on her way to seward from the valley and I was back in bussiness the next day. NO CHARGE! My friend, you can't beat that kinda customer service. I've only been in the Hewescraft dealership in Soldatna once. After 30 minutes of no service, I left. My brother in law lives there and is not fond of them either. IMO, when you drop that kinda money on a new boat, you should be treated like you did them a favor instead of the other way around. Should be a thread on this on this forum on SS. Hope you enjoy what ever boat you decide to get. Merry Christmas!

I will second everything Chico99645 said!! I used to own the 22' ocean pro and it was a great boat for me. Putting the 150 on it makes a huge difference. The searunner will be a little cheaper obviously but the extra width and height of the ocean pro is well worth splurging a little The fold out bench seats worked very well for the overnight camping trips as well, Im not real tall but it was always comfortable for the wife and I. Just a side note.....if you get the boat take down to Nomar in homer and have them make you some snap on black out curtains for it, Makes it nice for sleeping in the bright summers of Alaska. The resale of the Ocean Pro may be a bit more appealing as well....chances are (if you have kids someday) youll be upgrading just like i did. Good luck and have fun!!!See ya on the water.

Will,

I was in the same spot as you about a year ago. Glass or Aluminum. That is the bottom line here. Both have their benefits and negatives. For myself, wife and 2 kids, we chose Glass for this reason. We had the opportunity to buy, at killer price, a brand new 26 ft hewes PC in Oct of last year. It was sitting on a going out of business lot in Sitka with a no hours on the 300 hp Suz. My family and I hopped on it as it was trailered in the lot. Nice boat but the temperature in the cabin was an obvious 10 degrees less than outside - Aluminum is cold - we did not want that. We now own a warm and cozy 24ft SS Explorer and use it year round.

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    Will,

I was in the same spot as you about a year ago. Glass or Aluminum. That is the bottom line here. Both have their benefits and negatives. For myself, wife and 2 kids, we chose Glass for this reason. We had the opportunity to buy, at killer price, a brand new 26 ft hewes PC in Oct of last year. It was sitting on a going out of business lot in Sitka with a no hours on the 300 hp Suz. My family and I hopped on it as it was trailered in the lot. Nice boat but the temperature in the cabin was an obvious 10 degrees less than outside - Aluminum is cold - we did not want that. We now own a warm and cozy 24ft SS Explorer and use it year round.
    Will, I will agree with you that Aluminum transfers heat or cold better than Glass but your statement above " Nice boat but the temperature in the cabin was an obvious 10 degrees less than outside" just isn't going to happen sitting on the lot , if anything the inside of a Alloy cabin will pick up the heat from the sun and be warmer inside . But a boat just sitting on the lot glass or Alloy will be the same as the ambient temperature .

Yes , on a Alloy boat you will want to insulate your cabin up in your neck of the woods , PNW and Alaska, as with ANY type of boat , proper construction and maintenance will make the owner and Family very happy and a lot more comfortable.

After spending close to a week on Spoiled ones Alloy boat last July and bumping into chunks of ice while pulling Shrimp Pots and seeing what is floating in the water up there Alloy is the Choice to have and work.

Aluminum all the way, if the boat is going to be used for both fishing and hunting.

While I have aluminum, and it can be set up to not be cold, I think either choice is good. Whatever you buy, them most likley you will become comvinced that it was the right choice and encourage others to do the same. What I recommend is that you spend your time looking for a deal on a used boat, either here in AK or in WA. I have seen some phonominal deals in the last year go on boats, but when the price comes down they go quickly. The best thing to do is research out what you want, get your money ready and then watch for deals on places like craigslist.

Worst case in the spring you can buy one fron the dealer if you don't find a killer deal.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Forget for a second about the debate glass vs metal construction and consider the following:

a. Without a doubt the Sea Sport can handle rougher water than the Hewescraft with a much smoother ride. The enclosed hard cabin with the reverse sloping windshield will keep your family safe and dry. But this cabin comes at the expense of fishing deck space.

b. Can you tow truck handle the weight of the Sea Sport on the trailer?

c. Vee berth yes or no? Heavens yes! Tons of storage space and a great place to sleep even when the boat is sitting in the parking lot.

Used to own a Hewes so I have experience with both and it boils down to your personal preferences. Currently own a Sea Sport XL and if I had to replace it with a metal boat would most likely either pick a Sea Wolf or Glacier Craft.

Take a look at the instruments and electrical control/wiring panels on both the Hewes and Sea Sport and compare them to see how each are built. This will give you an indication of the quality of each of the boats.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe's post made me think of one more thing. I cannot think of any downside to having a V berth on a boat. If you have a choise, get it, it is the perfect use for that space and a great place to sleep.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I won't get into the aluminum/glass debate. I've had success with both. I'm not sure I understand the concern about Sea Sport out of business. I don't think a warranty would be an issue on a used one. Maybe I'm off base here. Anybody else comment on this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I won't get into the aluminum/glass debate. I've had success with both. I'm not sure I understand the concern about Sea Sport out of business. I don't think a warranty would be an issue on a used one. Maybe I'm off base here. Anybody else comment on this point?
    I may sound a little biased, as I'm selling a 22ft Seasport. I would have no issues with resale value of the boat due to factory going out of business. As was stated in another thread, most of the stuff on the boat is components ~ engines, windows, toilets, stoves, etc. SS have and alwayswill hold their value as they are quality hulls. The only reason I'm selling my SS is so I can buy a bigger SS.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was not creating a debate on SS boats and trying to steer wildwill away from them. The Thread stated he wanted a "New SS or HC Boat". With the boat builder no longer building boats, it may be difficult to buy a "New Boat". I'm sure there are some dealers with previous stock on the lot, but his options just got slimmer. Thats all I was saying. As far as warranty goes, if he buys a "New SS" that is a previous year model, will the dealer hold up warranty for a year or so. I know SS owners love their boats, but when your throwing down 50+ G's on a new boat, peice of mind for a warranty during a break in period is important to me. If spending that kinda cash without peace of mind is not an issue for you, your very fortunate. We all know what BOAT stands for. No need to spend a few thousand on what a dealer/builder should eat for their mistake. If wildwill wanted a used boat, I'm sure he might have mentioned it. All too ofter a poster starts a thread asking a question, and we all try to change their mind by selling them something else. Wildwill has been a member on this thread since 2006. BTW, Merry Christmas Everyone!

There is no comparison between a Hewescraft and a Seasport of similar size. Yep they are both boats, but that is about it. The Seasport is top notch custom made boat that is a great offshore fishing and cruising machine but you can't get a new one as they went bankrupt last year. However if you get a used one they are not going to lose value by going out of business as their reputation is held in high regard by sportsman that hunt, fish, and cruise everywhere. They have a great ride, are very warm in comparison, and have a berth to sleep in even in the 22 footer. About the only downside of the seasport are they are heavy boats (something to consider if you are planning on towing it everywhere) and use a good deal of gas. I have never heard of any serious quality issues pertaining to the hull ever on these boats.

But with that said, I am not slamming the Hewes; not at all. They are a good boat too, but more for day bay trips. A very good friend of mine has one and we go out in tandem on occasion. It performs just fine and I really like the walk-through windshield as this make it super easy to lower and retrieve the anchor. The benches on his fold down into bunks and he and his son sleep OK in it if it is warm out. But as others have noted, it is a cold boat and when we anchor up, the place of choice for bs, dinner, and maybe a drink is my little CD 22 as it is warm and confortable with the wallas going even when it is very cold out. The Hewes has benefits over the seasport as they are WAY lighter, far easier to tow, and use less gas. In fact, I almost bought a new one but then bought a CD 22 as the one that caught my eye was loved throughout its life and looked new.

Both of these boats will work well for you in my opinion. Good luck in deciding which one is better for you

It seems to me that comparing a 22ft Hewes OP or SR to a 22ft Seasport or any other cuddy boat is comparing apples to oranges. Both are boats but not the same style of boat. What about a Hewes Pacific Cruiser. They come in 22ft, 24ft and 26ft. They are still quite a bit different, each having their advantages but at least now you are comparing the same style boat.

I think we may well sway the Seasport way--and may have found our boat as well--we'll see after closer inspection, keep Ur fingers crossed for us.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Good luck regardless. They're both great boats. Be sure to post up some pics when you get your new ride. Good luck and happy holidays!

I can't think of any situations of where you'll want to go out in a 22' Sea Sport where you'd stay home in a 22' Hewes. 22' just isn't very big, regardless of the hull material. Deck space really shrinks up with fiberglass too, as it's much thicker than aluminum. I'd be very hesitant to buy a 22' boat with overnight intentions. I couldn't imagine camping out on one with the kids, as it'd be much too crowded. A tent on the beach with a roaring fire would be a much better option, in my opinion. A 24 or a 27ft Seasport is much more realistic when talking overnight.

A 22' Aluminum boat is a dream in AK for the person who wants to spend a good deal of time hunting and fishing. It's big enough to take some longer trips, small enough to get to the beach, easy to trailer, and won't break the bank on gas with 4 Stroke power. With aluminum you aren't crying every time that a crab pot rubs on the side of the boat or you do a swing and a miss on a coho with a gaff and crack the side of the boat. I've beat my 20ft Pacific Skiff up so badly having the time of my life.. I'd not trade it for anything. Sure it's colder than a fiberglass boat, but when you know it's going to be cold, you can dress accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    I think we may well sway the Seasport way--and may have found our boat as well--we'll see after closer inspection, keep Ur fingers crossed for us.
    Just remember, a boat is only as good as it's power... What's it got? 4 Stroke outboards at the max HP rating are your friend..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast