Thread: 2007 Quest

Thumbs up 2007 Quest

As I write this Mackey is somewhere between Chena Hotsprings and the finish line. Looks like he should cross the finish line this afternoon sometime. If so, I think he will be setting a couple records for the Quest. Sounds like an epic race for Mackey. I say congrats and hats off to all the Quest mushers out there who have the intestinal fortitude to even attempt the "Toughest Race on Earth".

http://www.yukonquest.org

Yes, it's so exciting! I teach until 12:30 about 2 blocks from the finish line so am going to go check it out and see if I can catch him coming in. I'm also going to the "Watch for the Headlamp" party at the Big I tonght. Should be great fun.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Yes, I took time off from work to go and take photos of Mackey over by North Pole, and on my way there I heard on the radio that he already was in Fairbanks. It was too late for me to turn around, so I waited for what I believe is the second place winner, Mr. Gatt. I have no idea what number Gatt had over his parka, I just hope that this one is he. I took the photo shortly after musher 17 passed the Chena dog drop-off in North Pole, right next to the road by the Flood Project. The dogs were a little tired, and stopped running every time a person got too close to take pictures. I believe that they were looking for any excuse to take a break, although Mr. Gatt (?) was not pushing them at all. He was very calmed, and let them go as slow as they wanted. There were not too many of us there, unlike last year. Back then this place was packed with people, maybe because the rase started on a weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice pic. I sure like watching these guys. I drove across the cushman street bridge just a few minutes before Mackey came in. People were everywhere. I couldn't take the time to stop. Bummer. One of these years the wife and I will take some time off and hopefully be race volunteers.

Well, Mackey got his third one under his belt. good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Nice pic. I sure like watching these guys. I drove across the cushman street bridge just a few minutes before Mackey came in. People were everywhere. I couldn't take the time to stop. Bummer. One of these years the wife and I will take some time off and hopefully be race volunteers.

Well, Mackey got his third one under his belt. good for him.
    Agree with you. The mushers are great, and the dogs are amazing. I will be waiting for them with my camera at North Pole next winter. The volunteers over at the Chena dog drop-off in North Pole, were mostly military. They had a large military tent, heated by a Nelson heater. They were in "civilians," of course. I talked to a female military officer for a few minutes, and she was so happy to be there helping that it brought a smile to my face. She has been in Alaska for less than two years, but loves to help with the dogs. Nice lady, very polite too, who already likes to help any way she can.

That's great. We really enjoy the North American. We live downtown so we walk down and watch the races. You can get close to the dogs and mushers and talk to them and stuff. Plus it's usually warm! Might have to watch for the red lantern musher in the Quest this year and show up at the finish line to show some support. Anyone who can finish that race is a winner in my book.