Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown Bear Hunt Gear list.. Comments welcome

Default Brown Bear Hunt Gear list.. Comments welcome

I have been lurking here for sometime and recently joined.

OK brain trust-hive mind: I have begun preparing my list for my BB hunt - Woo-hoo

Itís a work in progress have at it...

Thanks R

Gear List for my May 2011 BB Hunt

Wiggys: Hunter Ultima Thule with a Hood

mesh underwear

Sitka Gear: Cold front Jacket and Beanie - Optifade

Kelvin Vest - Optifade

Traverse 1-4-Zip Tee OPTIFADE FOREST

Sitka Gear Celsius Bibs - Optifade

Sitka Gear Cap

Under Armor: Hurlock Fleece Pullover - UA DIGITAL CAMO

Otte Gear: Patrol Parka - CADPAT

Gaiters

Lowa: Extreme hunter GTX (same as sheep hunter)

Smartwool extra thick socks 7

Cabela's GORE-TEXr/MT050r Whitetail Extreme Shooting Gloves

Medalist SilverMaxT Tee Shirt (2)

Brynje Mesh underwear

Capaline: light and heavy weight pants and long sleeve tops

Misc

TAD Fastpack EDC multicam w/Kifaru Gunbearer

Leica BRF Range finder binos 8x42

Flashlights Surefire minimus headlamp
    RA Tactical Clicky 170 LM

Double-Sided DMTr Diafold Sharpener

Russell One hand folding knife

Randall Trout & Bird Knife

Blaser 338 win mag Remington Premier A-Frame Ammunition .338 WIN MAG 225 SAF

Primosr Trigger Stick 61" TRIPOD (donít laugh it doubles as a walking stick and lugging it along accounted for a dandy bull elk at 304 yards, a shot I wouldnít even have attempted w/o it)

small belt survival kit (matches flaslight)

need to buy:

Sourdough Slipper or wiggys light weight waders (need to by)

good camp shoe LL Beans slip on

I didn't see rain gear on your list. If you are coming out to the AKPEN I can guarantee you are going to see lots of rain and wind especially if you are hunting out of Cold Bay. Did I mention wind? I shot my bear this spring nearby in the closing minutes and daylight of the season and had to go out the next day to recover it.

It just so happened that when we got out there to recover it, a storm blew in with 40+ knt winds and sideways rain like a firehose. The Helly-Hansen HellyTech held up for about 2 hours before I was just as wet inside as I was outside. Fortunately I was wearing LL Bean wool underneath and at least stayed warm. The only thing dry on me were my feet and the part of my legs that were stuffed into a pair of ExtraTuffs.

Oh yeah......... Ya might want to add a pair of ExtraTuffs to your list and ditch the Lowas.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I didn't see rain gear on your list. If you are coming out to the AKPEN I can guarantee you are going to see lots of rain and wind especially if you are hunting out of Cold Bay. Did I mention wind? I shot my bear this spring nearby in the closing minutes and daylight of the season and had to go out the next day to recover it.

It just so happened that when we got out there to recover it, a storm blew in with 40+ knt winds and sideways rain like a firehose. The Helly-Hansen HellyTech held up for about 2 hours before I was just as wet inside as I was outside. Fortunately I was wearing LL Bean wool underneath and at least stayed warm. The only thing dry on me were my feet and the part of my legs that were stuffed into a pair of ExtraTuffs.

Oh yeah......... Ya might want to add a pair of ExtraTuffs to your list and ditch the Lowas.
    Thanks for the comment, it is really appreciated.

The Sitka and Otte gear are rainwear. The outfitter suggested hiking boots and lightwqeight waders (I had planned on bringing kneehighs.

What is mesh underwear?

I second what stevelyn said about rain gear and kneehighs. Never heard of Otte gear but just looked them up, that patrol jacket looks and sounds well made be sure to let us know how it works out for you. For that price I sure hope it stands up!.

You might want to just buy a regular pair of hippers instead of the expensive packable ones.

Camp booties are nice to have but make sure they have a sole on them in case things are damp.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    What is mesh underwear?
    I had a military buddy back in North Carolina that got a second "night" job at a male strip club to make some extra cash and get out of debt, he popped in my head when I read this!! Sorry for the hijack

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    What is mesh underwear?

I second what stevelyn said about rain gear and kneehighs. Never heard of Otte gear but just looked them up, that patrol jacket looks and sounds well made be sure to let us know how it works out for you. For that price I sure hope it stands up!.

You might want to just buy a regular pair of hippers instead of the expensive packable ones.

Camp booties are nice to have but make sure they have a sole on them in case things are damp.

Good luck!
    http://www.ottegear.com/main.php looks like al the other techno raingear but its in camo! hopefully quiet as well I' let u know.

Mesh is supposedly the shizzle when it comes to wicking moisture.

this mesh is from Wiggys:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Robert/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Robert/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

this from Brynje of Norway:

BTW after posting these pics I pretty much have to figure my rep here is ruined b/f it's even started.. oh well (lol)
    Last edited by Robertesq1; 12-27-2010 at 12:13. Reason: fix pic

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    I had a military buddy back in North Carolina that got a second "night" job at a male strip club to make some extra cash and get out of debt, he popped in my head when I read this!! Sorry for the hijack
    I knew it... there goes my rep....

here's a salvage pic (can't even show my face now)...

I suggest a pair of Neos River trekers, you can count on crossing water at some point. I like the Neos because they are fairly light and can be slipped on over your Lowas. I use the same boots you just need to make sure you get a size large enough to fit over your boots. Another piece of gear that I take on every hunt is a pair of rocky goretex socks. When your boots get wet and they will just throw on your Rocky's and have dry feet. I tried the seal socks and they were too thick for me.
    http://www.rei.com/product/688268

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Your sitka gear is not rain gear. Either buy real rain pants or go with hip boots.

You need to test that jacket really well. Do you have nice tall hedges at your place? To test your jacket turn your sprinkler on some 5' tall hedges and just let them soak. Now go stand in the shower with the water on full blast for an hour. After an hour climb out of the shower and go force your way through the hedges repeatedly for 3 hours with the sprinkle still blasting. If you get wet at all then contemplate the fact that you will likely be doing that for your entire hunt. Even if it stops raining the grass and brush will still almost certainly be wet and pushing through it defeats most breathable raingear.

Personally I tried a bunch of different poly base layers but tried Merino wool a couple years ago and the poly stuff never gets used now. I will probably dig out the last of my poly gear soon and give it to one of my buddies who thinks merino is to expensive. With merino it dries quick and you are warm when wet. Poly dries quick but you will be cold until it does. You should definitely pack a spare tent too, cause I can only speak for me but the second you stip down to your mesh skivvies in someone eases they are likley to ask you to move out!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I suggest a pair of Neos River trekers, you can count on crossing water at some point. I like the Neos because they are fairly light and can be slipped on over your Lowas. I use the same boots you just need to make sure you get a size large enough to fit over your boots. Another piece of gear that I take on every hunt is a pair of rocky goretex socks. When your boots get wet and they will just throw on your Rocky's and have dry feet. I tried the seal socks and they were too thick for me.
    http://www.rei.com/product/688268

Steve
    Cool. Really good advice, thanks. gortex socs are on my list not sure which is better sourdoe slippers or Neos?

Quote Originally Posted by Robertesq1 View Post
    Cool. Really good advice, thanks. gortex socs are on my list not sure which is better sourdoe slippers or Neos?
    I don't know that one is better than the other, I know that the neos are cheaper. They are great for loading/unloading a float plane!

Their basically the same thing, so which ever you like. Lujon is right about rain gear, not much will hold up to the forced transfer that happens as you walk though wet brush for hours. A Helly Hanson Impertec jacket and those waders will keep you as dry as you can expect to be in a water saturated environment. I also use a piece of a sleeping mat to sit on the keep from keeping a case a swamp but. The ground here is almost always wet.

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-27-2010 at 15:10.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Your sitka gear is not rain gear. Either buy real rain pants or go with hip boots.

You need to test that jacket really well. Do you have nice tall hedges at your place? To test your jacket turn your sprinkler on some 5' tall hedges and just let them soak. Now go stand in the shower with the water on full blast for an hour. After an hour climb out of the shower and go force your way through the hedges repeatedly for 3 hours with the sprinkle still blasting. If you get wet at all then contemplate the fact that you will likely be doing that for your entire hunt. Even if it stops raining the grass and brush will still almost certainly be wet and pushing through it defeats most breathable raingear.

Personally I tried a bunch of different poly base layers but tried Merino wool a couple years ago and the poly stuff never gets used now. I will probably dig out the last of my poly gear soon and give it to one of my buddies who thinks merino is to expensive. With merino it dries quick and you are warm when wet. Poly dries quick but you will be cold until it does. You should definitely pack a spare tent too, cause I can only speak for me but the second you stip down to your mesh skivvies in someone eases they are likley to ask you to move out!
    Not sure what u mean.. Sitka makes all sorts of gear... The Sitka I have (coldfront) is goretex and it has kept me dry on very wet elk hunts (not Alaska but Montana) see below:

Agreed about the Marino... its heavy but warm. Everyone seems to be telling me to bring only synthetics, maybe I'll sneak in my marino underwear (to cover the mesh --- lol)

What is real rain pants.. Impertech? or .... Thinking maybe a really good poncho might be a good idea?

Has the guide you booked with given you an equipment list? If so I would go with what he says. Curious, who is the guide?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Has the guide you booked with given you an equipment list? If so I would go with what he says. Curious, who is the guide?
    Yes I received a list from the outfitter but that list does not go into the detail us gear junkies do... i.e. "good hiking boots" or "synthetic long underwear" invites all sorts of discussion and analysis.

I am not sure who my actual guide is going to be... (but the outfitter, whose name I want to remain anonymous until the hunt is over, has a reputation that is quite good here)

Too bad about the lack of detail on your list. My clients got a very specific list, which made things pretty easy for everyone. Good luck.
    When I asked who the guide was you booked with I meant the registered or master guide, he's not an outfitter.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Another great piece of gear is a light weight tarp to setup to glass from. It will help keep the water off your optics, block the wind and make those long hours glassing more comfortable. This one is a Kifaru paratarp, it can also serve as a siwash shelter. In this photo I just tied it up to some alders. I guess you would have to have hunted in non stop rain for days on end to really understand what it takes to stay dry in those conditions.

Here is my wife and the bear she took from a similar setup, had her under the tarp and with a ground seat. She was dry and warm and she was able to sit much longer than being out in the rain.

Steve
    Founding Member

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

http://www.sealskinz.com/socks are the ones i use... i get them here locally in fairbanks at Big Rays.. when they have them.. they tend to sell out quick.. absolutly love them.. had a new hunter (military Kid) introduce me to them last fall..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    http://www.sealskinz.com/socks are the ones i use... i get them here locally in fairbanks at Big Rays.. when they have them.. they tend to sell out quick.. absolutly love them.. had a new hunter (military Kid) introduce me to them last fall..
    Do you use them as regular socks or just when your boots get wet?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i wear a thin liner,, and wear then when i know i will be crossing water regularly that will soak the boots.. or fill them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast