Thread: helmet cams

Default helmet cams

Anyone out there have any experince with helmet cams,if so please give me the pros and cons.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

what will you want to be filming?...I use one on my boat, ATV, and shooting....

the primary benefit is convenience, my number one complaint is how wide the angles are....even on the narrowest setting it is still around 135 deg and still distorts the footage a bit more than I like....but I am able to get some stuff on film that I'd otherwise miss, so I guess I'd rather have it a little distorted than not at all...

If mine broke I'd buy another tomorrow...I'd suggest looking at only the models that capture in HD, for example the ContourHD or the GoPro
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I just did a Grand Canyon float where I mounted a waterproof point & shoot to my whitewater helmet with a small ball head. It does HD, worked well & I got some interesting video of my boat running some large rapids. I then was able to use the same camera for most of the other on water picture taking. It's just one more option, as the line between video and still cameras continue to blur.

I'm thinking in the lines of hunting with it,The hands free and catch most everything that i'm looking is what i'm looking for,i can't begin to tell you how many times i've told myself i wish i had a video of that hunt,it seems there making them some what bullet proof and small enough that wieght wouldn't be a issue.....just a little surprised that i haven't heard much about them in other forum talks....thanks for the info
    I ♥ Big Sheep

I've been skiing with a Conture but nothing else yet. What I can say about it is that it takes pretty good quality wide angle footage and holds a charge for quite some time while taking about 8 hrs of vid on a 16GB card. I've found that while skiing in flat light conditions or real fast that it loses most contrast of the snowy terrain but I suppose all cams probably would. When in the lift lines or around interesting subjects it takes really nice vid but you need to learn to hold your head still for catching segments of the scene rather than a continuously moving picture that my natural head movement produces. I'm saying that is a me thing rather than a camera thing. Easy to download onto harddrive via card reader or usb. Low profile as opposed to Helmet Hero cams. Would attach easily to headlamp strap or velcro to hat, possibly even to scope except for recoil issue. I'm excited to try out the underwater case but have not needed it for wet skiing conditions. I'm also interested to see how it will do for shooting and wonder if it will be able to make clear images of game animals at a distance. I'll post more as I learn more.

Heres my Go pro HD web cam I will use for the first time this 2011 season....it has adapters you can mount it to your pack, poles, or whereever......

Attachment 46352

GoPro hands down. I owned the ContourHD before using the GoPro and GoPro is much user friendly Just professionally filmed the Iron Dog using several GoPros mounted on machines. Both Discovery and Nat Geo TV use them. For $300 bucks hard to beat. For broadcast they do in a pinch. For everyday stuff you can't go wrong.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel