Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Electradyne Pot Puller

  1. #1
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default Electradyne Pot Puller

    I see that the Electradyne Pot Puller comes with a 3/4 horse 12Volt motor. It can have a 20:1 or 30:1 gear box. How much weight with each gear box can it haul and at what speed?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    I see that the Electradyne Pot Puller comes with a 3/4 horse 12Volt motor. It can have a 20:1 or 30:1 gear box. How much weight with each gear box can it haul and at what speed?
    Have you checked out this electra-dyne site?

    Their catalog list both as having the same lift capacity at 300lbs but the 30:1 is listed with a slower line speed. I would think it would have more lift capacity as well so maybe it's a misprint.

    Just noticed they also make a utility winch as well. Hmmm....might be a handy tool for a jet boat.

  3. #3
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Send a PM to Potbuilder, he sells them and is the expert.

  4. #4
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Thanks guys for the info. I was looking at Ebay and they had a 2hp motor. Just thinking about adding more hp.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Thanks guys for the info. I was looking at Ebay and they had a 2hp motor. Just thinking about adding more hp.
    I emailed electra-dyne and they indicated they have the 3/4hp and 1hp motors. Didn't mention a 2hp motor. I'd be leery on whether it was 2hp.

    I asked about the weight capacity and got the following message.

    "The gearbox either 20 or 30 pull the same weight.gear them down equals more torque.1 horse offered on all Haulers."

    I would think the lower ratio or 1 hp motors would have greater lifting capacity with more torque but it doesn't appear to be the case. The 1hp motors would probably last longer for those gumping commercially.

  6. #6
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Just noticed they also make a utility winch as well. Hmmm....might be a handy tool for a jet boat.[/QUOTE]

    Yup either a stand alone gypsy head or they have a option of mounting it on top of the hauler plates. I'm going to try and have one for the outdoors shows this spring.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    I emailed electra-dyne and they indicated they have the 3/4hp and 1hp motors. Didn't mention a 2hp motor. I'd be leery on whether it was 2hp.

    I asked about the weight capacity and got the following message.

    "The gearbox either 20 or 30 pull the same weight.gear them down equals more torque.1 horse offered on all Haulers."

    I would think the lower ratio or 1 hp motors would have greater lifting capacity with more torque but it doesn't appear to be the case. The 1hp motors would probably last longer for those gumping commercially.
    These haulers are used by the small boat lobster guys back east and they use them daily for 10 months a year hauling 150-200 pots a day, i've seen a few that were 20 years old and after a new set of gearbox seals and maybe a new motor they were good to go another 20 years, and you've got to remember those units only get washed off with fresh water when it rains. A lot of those guys are hauling 5-10 pots strings and the pots weigh anywhere from 35-50lbs each. I've got quite a few ED's out and nobody has complained to me that they won't pull the gear (or anchors) the only thing a couple of guys have told me is that the 20:1 haulers pull too fast for them to coil the line coming out of them and that's why i only stock the 30:1 haulers. I have a demo unit here at the potbarn if anyone wants to stop by and take a look. Any other questions just pm me.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Thanks Steve and Mel you guess answered my questions. So my pot puller is a 30:1 and I should be able to pull 8 to 10 pots with no problems.

  9. #9
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaindd View Post
    Thanks Steve and Mel you guess answered my questions. So my pot puller is a 30:1 and I should be able to pull 8 to 10 pots with no problems.
    Yup you should, as long as its been wired correctly, you know 4 ga wire and no "creative" wiring additions along the way to the switch that comes with the hauler & a 80-100 amp breaker. Just follow the wiring directions that come with the hauler.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I used one to long line halibut. we pulled miles of line and never had a problem with the electradyne units

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •