Thread: Reel Advice

Default Reel Advice

Just purchased myself a new Loomis GL2 steelhead spinning rod and was curious to know what reel would best suit it for next year's season...I plan on using this setup for Cohos as well as metalheads. Rod is 8-17 lb test (was looking to use 15?) Ideas? Thanks!

Sapper in the Skies

Shimano Symetre 2500... load with 10-12# test... plenty for steel and coho.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

thanks for the suggestion!!

Also looking at the Daiwa Fuego and the Daiwa Team Advantage? That Fuego is on Fire!!! $$$ may burn a hole in my wallet though!

I run a Quantum Energy PTI 20 with 15# Power Pro braid to 8-12 pound flouro leader.
    Really nice reels at a now decent price.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewquantumenergypti.html

IMHO the best reel for the money is the Phlueger Supreme 8035 for $99. It's lightweight aluminum (8.8oz) with 9 ball bearings, and has more line capacity and is lighter than the shimano 2500. Mine is matched up to a Lamiglas Cert Pro 8'9" (10 - 20lb) for bobber fishing with braid and can handle Kings in excess of 30lbs.

IMHO the best reel for the money is the Phlueger Supreme 8035 for $99. It's lightweight aluminum (8.8oz) with 9 ball bearings, and has more line capacity and is lighter than the shimano 2500. Mine is matched up to a Lamiglas Cert Pro 8'9" (10 - 20lb) for bobber fishing with braid and can handle Kings in excess of 30lbs.

i have both reels, like them both. but after fishing with the phlueger, the shimano seems overpriced

Pflueger makes a great reel. In spinning reels all i use anymore is the Pflueger President or Supreme. They last forever and work great!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Shimano Symetre 2500... load with 10-12# test... plenty for steel and coho.
    Not to argue with the Doc, who I respect and admire greatly. He's been known to give some excellent advice and is always a great champion of conservation, but I own both the Symetre and Sahara (older and new model of Sahara) and quite frankly I don't think the Symetre is $20 better. Get a Sahara 3000 and buy some line with the extra $$.

Thanks to all for the sound advice! I have gone with a Penn Sargus spooled with 15 lb P-Line CXXX in moss green. It will be my back-up in Yakutat and my primary reel for coho (I stuck it on a Loomis GL2). Can't wait!!!

Sapper in the Skies

Nice choice I live by 15 or 20 pound P line.

Quote Originally Posted by ORDesertRat View Post
    Not to argue with the Doc, who I respect and admire greatly. He's been known to give some excellent advice and is always a great champion of conservation, but I own both the Symetre and Sahara (older and new model of Sahara) and quite frankly I don't think the Symetre is $20 better. Get a Sahara 3000 and buy some line with the extra $$.
    I'll keep that Sahara in mind the next time I need another spinner for the ****nal.... got an aging Spirex (double paddle) and a couple of cheapie Syncopates that are due to go TU anytime now. Kids might be a bit bummed to finally see those convenient little trigger bails go, but I guess they'll have to give up those training wheels at some point.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I have a few Daiwa SS reels that have worked well for silvers, big dollies, etc.. Very solid reels.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...0;cat104837580

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.