Thread: reloading in the cold

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default reloading in the cold

I moved all my reloading stuff out to a unheated shed, I was wondering if this would change anything when relaoding them. charge densities, weights? temps are around 30, I use reloader 19 and 22 for my .270 win, all the components are kept out side.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I moved all my reloading stuff out to a unheated shed, I was wondering if this would change anything when relaoding them. charge densities, weights? temps are around 30, I use reloader 19 and 22 for my .270 win, all the components are kept out side.
    The biggest issue I'd foresee is the tendency for such places to accumulate moisture.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Ya, where your at, I'd be worried about the moisture. Do what you have to, and get the set up inside when you can.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Don Wurbowdit.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm loading outside, just over on the town side of the island from ya,
    and did all winter last year out in my unheated shop, usually after midnight, in 20's etc.

No problems with moisture, or any signs of corrosion on anything.
    Everything is stored outside also, well stored tho and it's a dry shop

All Real Good results thru some 800 rounds loaded and fired before June,
    They all seemed to burn pretty bright and hot

I'd also say, Don't worry about it,

Been sure waiting for the wind to slow a bit tho, to get some shooting in this winter.... Sheessss
    Alllll loaded up and no where to go "Unload"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Short term, no prob. Long term, sooner or later it's gonna getcha. Rust, corrosion, clumped powder, failed primers.... It's cumulative due to the broad temp fluctuations and moisture in the air. It's just waiting for you to overlook one little thing. I got away with it just fine for 3 years before the problems started. Kind of like a sniper slowly sneaking in on your position. He's in no hurry, cuzz he knows he'll win.

No; I've been loading in the cold for many years now,I wear Jersey gloves most of the time to keep my hands warm somewhat,when I
    install my dies I allways have the gloves on I keep all my componets in wooden cabinet so they can breath properly.lubing is a pain some
    times,but every other aspect is fine.after using a die set I spray a little WD-40 in the box.I hope this helps.
    Ed nyatiinc.com
    50 miles north of Green Bay

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

rock chucker siezed up due to rust(replaced it with surpreme) then I got a case stuck, broke the expander(just got a the new one from midway yesterday) got 100 cases resized, primed lastnight, today I charge and put some barnes together, you guys are big help thanks and merry xmas. Powder stored in tote inside, primers outside, I'll move the primers indoors, thanks again.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com