Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When and where for charter

Default When and where for charter

My folks are coming up for a visit this summer. I would like to take them out for a fishing trip somewhere. We would like to do a combo (halibut and ?). I have gone on charters out of Homer several times before and had a good time. Wanting to know what other options are out there (Seward, Valdez, etc.) Not real picky about what kind of fish just wanting to show them a good time. Any help would be great.

IMO Seward has the best combo fishing available, I am sure we will hear an argument from someone why Homer is better. I am not familiar with what Valdez has to offer. In Seward you can get a Halibut, Salmon combo on most charters I believe. I don't have any experience with any of the charter operators there, but Crackerjack, Pro-fish-n-sea are the names I hear recommended the most.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'd say it kind of depends on when you plan on doing your charter. I'd take Seward over Homer during silver season if you want to put fish in the box. You can do a combo charter and get your 2 halibut and also 6 silvers per person if you hit it right. In Homer you can only keep 3 silvers.

If you're looking for an earlier season combo I'd take Homer any day. You can get your 2 halibut and a couple of kings, too, if things go well for you. I don't see that happening out of Seward.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

In before someone says Homer is better because of year around king fishing... Dang it!!!
    Well Seward has the best combo fishing IMHO if you go after July 1st you have the option for catching a little bit of everything. Monster lings, halibut, rockfish and salmon. Check out Crackerjack charters I've had many friends go out with him and they said the skipper works hard to bring home fish for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    In before someone says Homer is better because of year around king fishing... Dang it!!!
    Well Seward has the best combo fishing IMHO if you go after July 1st you have the option for catching a little bit of everything. Monster lings, halibut, rockfish and salmon. Check out Crackerjack charters I've had many friends go out with him and they said the skipper works hard to bring home fish for everyone.
    Hmmmm. Are you saying you can't catch "monster lings, halibut, rockfish and salmon" in Homer after July 1st? Like I said, it depends on when your folks are going to be here. The only undebatable difference between Homer and Seward later in the summer is the difference in the limit of silvers. If you're interested in catching kings and it's the first couple of weeks of July I'd prefer to fish on this side of the peninsula. If you want a bunch of silvers in your box and that's your prime concern I'd head for Seward. I've put 6 very nice silvers in the boat in the first weeks of July over there many a time and that sure isn't going to happen here in Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by flat foot View Post
    My folks are coming up for a visit this summer. I would like to take them out for a fishing trip somewhere. We would like to do a combo (halibut and ?). I have gone on charters out of Homer several times before and had a good time. Wanting to know what other options are out there (Seward, Valdez, etc.) Not real picky about what kind of fish just wanting to show them a good time. Any help would be great.
    When are they coming to visit?

Make sure and do some home work in choosing a charter. Some guys will take you our for ping pong paddle halibut and call them great eaters(they are good just not much there) while some will put you on decent fish or at least make every atempt to.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    When are they coming to visit?
    Yeah, I guess that was what I was getting at by saying a couple of times that it depends on when your folks are going to be here. Let us know.

And do be careful as "kpgcr" says. There are a number of charter operations out there that will take a boat load of people out, put you on a "chicken patch" and when everyone has got their 2 halibut (or the clock says it's time to go home) bring you back in. There are also charter operators out there that will spend 3 hours getting to "trophy land" and if you don't catch anything in the couple of hours you have to fish then you're essentially out of luck. The majority of charter operators will tell you when you leave the dock and when you come home and you have no choice in the matter. I like to take people out when they want to go out, and then bring them back in when they call "uncle" and just can't fish any more. It's a matter of personal preference. Don't be afraid to ask what the charter's policy is on time limits.

If I were you I'd figure out what sort of combo you are most interested in doing---Halibut/kings? Halibut/silvers? Halibut/lings/rockfish? Halibut/ lings/salmon? Etc., etc. And then do your homework. As you can see, where you are going to want to go depends mostly on what it is you are most interested in catching. From what I saw, Valdez had some big silvers in big numbers last year. Seward produces a lot of 6 fish silver limits last year, but don't even think about trying to catch lings out of Seward and then going back into the bay and getting your 6 silver limit (illegal). I caught very nice kings along with some really nice halibut last summer at times when I wouldn't really think about going to either Valdez or Seward for the same sort of combo.

What you ultimately want to fish for and when you plan on doing it are going to be the determining factors.

If someone doesn't have any personal experiance with the charter then they shouldn't reccommend it. Been on four charters in three years had a blast every time but one. The last two summers fished on the Otter dodger out of Valdez, he wants big fish in the boat, big halibut and big lings both times.(why change a good thing). Silver fished three summers ago on the Dells brat, kids IMG_6011.jpgon the bank out fished us.(first charter didn't research). This last summer I fished Larson bay, Kodiak with Kodiak island resorts my first combo trip. Kim and Ryan Valdez AK 2010 315.jpgl

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    If someone doesn't have any personal experiance with the charter then they shouldn't reccommend it.
    Not quite sure what you're saying here. Did someone recommend, or not recommend, a charter that they haven't been out with?

If someone doesn't have any personal experiance with the charter then they shouldn't reccommend it. Been on four charters in three years had a blast every time but one. The last two summers fished on the Otter dodger out of Valdez, he wants big fish in the boat, big halibut and big lings both times.(why change a good thing). Silver fished three summers ago on the Dells brat, kids IMG_6011.jpgon the bank out fished us.(first charter didn't research). This last summer I fished Larson bay, Kodiak with Kodiak island resorts my first combo trip. Kim and Ryan Valdez AK 2010 315.jpgl
    There are many charters that have such a good reputation that I will not hesitate to recommend them to people asking for some information. Just because I have not been on a crackerjack charter doesn't mean that I think they are a shady outfit, I spend enough time on this forum and other places to know that they are top notch.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

All I know is I saw 200+ lb halibut on the dock in Whittier 3 times last summer. One was a private boat and 2 were charters. This years is the 1st time I've seen big halibut like that, usually they're dinks. Oh and I know that huge lings were coming off all the boats regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    All I know is I saw 200+ lb halibut on the dock in Whittier 3 times last summer. One was a private boat and 2 were charters. This years is the 1st time I've seen big halibut like that, usually they're dinks. Oh and I know that huge lings were coming off all the boats regularly.
    Do you ever wonder why there are only a handful of charter operations and hundreds in places like Seward and Homer (I don't know about Valdez since I've never fished there)? It's not because Whittier is some hidden gem no one has discovered yet. It's a matter of economics. Your chances of finding a good combo fishing trip out of either Seward or Homer are much better. In the 18 years I lived in Anchorage I only fished out of Whittier a handful of times because the fishing opportunities were so slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Do you ever wonder why there are only a handful of charter operations and hundreds in places like Seward and Homer (I don't know about Valdez since I've never fished there)? It's not because Whittier is some hidden gem no one has discovered yet. It's a matter of economics. Your chances of finding a good combo fishing trip out of either Seward or Homer are much better. In the 18 years I lived in Anchorage I only fished out of Whittier a handful of times because the fishing opportunities were so slim.
    Yeah I never seem to be able to catch halibut in the sound. What I'm saying is it sure surprised me to see these hogs this year.

Mutt that wasn't directed to you, just imo i would not reccommend something unless i have done it. With all the guys that fish and have done charters on this forum seems like someone that has been on the crackerjack would have spoke up and recommended them. I am not saying they are not a good charter just that I would talk to someone that was actually fishing off the boat for their or the boat you will take's advice.

Flat foot sorry for the high jack please post when they will be here.

Flat foot fishing out of Valdez is normally either for bottom fish or salmon. Good halibut fishing is 3 to 4 hours out of port while salmon fishing is done in the Valdez Harbor area. Best bet if you are trying to do it all is go on a 2 day trip. Some boats offer halibut,Salmon, and shark in the same trip.

Mutt that wasn't directed to you, just imo i would not reccommend something unless i have done it. With all the guys that fish and have done charters on this forum seems like someone that has been on the crackerjack would have spoke up and recommended them. I am not saying they are not a good charter just that I would talk to someone that was actually fishing off the boat for their or the boat you will take's advice.
    Once again, how deceiving the written word can be. I didn't think it was directed at me at all, so sorry if it sounded as though that was what I was implying. I was just curious what prompted the statement.

Personally, I've only been on one charter (other than charters that I provide for other people) in Alaska, so I really can't speak from the experience of who I have or haven't fished with. So I agree with you to a point. I have never fished with Crackerjack and the only way I could recommend him is from "word of mouth" on this forum only. Whether or not that word of mouth is biased, I don't know. I get a lot of grief on this forum, but I also get a lot of people fishing with me that participate here, too, so I guess I must be doing something right.

But there are a lot of charter operators I know here in Homer that I wouldn't think twice about recommending even though I've never actually fished with them. I know what kind of guys they are, I know their "record" for bringing in fish and I see their boats every day during the summer out on the water and in the harbor. I guess you could call that "experience" in one way, but I can't speak from experience on what it's like going out on a charter with them.

So I guess I'd have to agree with you. I wouldn't take someone's advice on what charter to go out with just based on someone saying, "Gee, I've heard so many people say he's such a good captain." Just like I wouldn't take the advice of people on this forum that intimate they know what sort of fisherman, captain, professional or person I might be based on what they have seen on this forum. Believe it or not, there are a few people out there that like me!

Give Kodiak a go, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Roe View Post
    Give Kodiak a go, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Mel, I'm not sure if you were around for the big "Kodiak vs. other SC Alaska fishing spots" debacle that happened earlier this summer, but it wasn't pretty.

I agree with you that Kodiak has it's positives, and it has it's negatives, too, (both of which I am not going to go into here because it was beaten to death earlier), but if you could elaborate on why you think someone wouldn't be disappointed that might help. Just saying you think one place is better without reasoning isn't very helpful. I notice from your website that it costs $310 per person to fish with you for a full day. I, and a lot of other people here in Homer, charge a lot less than that for a full day of fishing and actually only charge more in line with your half day rate. I'm sure you must have a reason for doing that, so letting the original poster know why flying to Kodiak and paying more for your services would be advantageous to him might help him in making a decision as to where to fish.

I'm SURE this is going to "get the dander up" on the "usual suspects" but I am really curious. I am not asking to be "confrontational" or "argumentative" or anything along those lines. I really am just wondering. If things are THAT much better in Kodiak I might just decide to move there! (Uh oh. Look out Kodiak!!!)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast