Thread: Best Barnes Bullets for Big Brown Bears

Default Best Barnes Bullets for Big Brown Bears

Which Barnes Bullet is the best for large coastal brown bears? Is there a Barnes Bullet you wouldn't use for bears? The diameter is .458 Thanks for the insights, Ron

Excerpt from "Alaskan Brown Bear" by Brian Pierce

"Ed and I hustled upstream to find a suitable place to cross the river, then returned to the last place the bear was seen and followed the trail to find it dead less than 25 yards away. All three shots were in the vitals. The 270-grain Barnes Triple-Shocks completely penetrated, leaving impressive wound channels. After admiring the bear, we sat down on a log just to savor the moment."

Only 300-500gr is available for .458dia. The 350gr would be good, IMHO.

Good luck in whatever you chose.

Long ago, when i was a brown bear guide i used the Barnes 600gr. in my .458 model 70 for wounded animals. Worked great, good weight retention and stayed inside of the larger bear. Not sure if it still available these days.

I was thinking the largest TSX for a bolt gun and the solid for a 45/70. Keep in mind that impact velocity needs to be above 1700fps for the TSX to open up as designed or it will have a narrower wound channel than the wide meplet of the solid.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Which Barnes Bullet is the best for large coastal brown bears? Is there a Barnes Bullet you wouldn't use for bears? The diameter is .458 Thanks for the insights, Ron
    Either the 350gr. TSX or the 450gr. TSX. A 400gr. TSX would be nice, but Barnes does not make one.

So stay away from Barnes Originals? They have 400 grain........

I have listed a 300gr, 350gr, 450gr, and 500gr. All TSX FB. No 400gr. But if you have some, use em'.
    250gr and 300gr in TSX FN.

I use the 350gr TSX in my 458 at about 2450-2500fps. They are very accurate from my rifle and I believe they would have no problem acheiving a complete pass through on a broadside shot. I say I beleive as I've not as of yet shot a brown bear with this rifle, they will however go clean through a black bear. I also know a guy who uses the 300gr Tsx in his 458Lott, he is a guide and swears by them. He loads them to around 2800fps if I recall correctly. I've never used a Barnes Original but have used some similar bullets, in fact I have some ammo loaded with 400gr Hawk round tips. I've not taken any game with them in this caliber but I don't think you should be able to push them fast enough to cause any problems. From what I've read the old Originals were a favorite up here in many calibers for a long time, and there were alot of bears killed back before the X bullet.